exit stage left dvd and cd...

liddybuck01

Are they the exact same performance or recorded separately?

Was watching Xanadu on youtube and idk it sounded different than the cd.

Sorry im crazy if its the same lol

Also sorry for n00b questions lol

The DVD was one performance in Quebec or something and the album was patched together from the Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours. Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

That Xanadu performance is killer though right? it turned me into a Rush fan. 1022.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Aug 16 2010, 07:36 PM)

Definitely different. The CD has the blown Xanadu drum fill, the DVD does not. yes.gif

They're different recordings. The DVD was recorded at The Forum, Montreal, Quebec March 27, 1981. The album is from various shows during the Moving Pictures tour. "A Passage To Bangkok", "Closer To The Heart", "Beneath, Between & Behind", and "Jacob's Ladder" recorded in the U.K. "The Spirit Of Radio", "Red Barchetta", "YYZ", "Broon's Bane", "The Trees", "Xanadu", "Freewill", "Tom Sawyer" and "La Villa Strangiato" recorded in Canada.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Aug 16 2010, 07:43 PM)
The DVD was one performance in Quebec or something and the album was patched together from the Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours. Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

That Xanadu performance is killer though right? it turned me into a Rush fan. 1022.gif

That would be the Montreal Forum

2.gif

On the topic of the ESL... does anyone in here know any details about how much production went into those recordings? That album sounds dang near studio quality, both in the production as well as the performance. Over the years, I've read snippets of articles and interviews where Ged has talked about how much went into making that album, and in hindsight it didn't even sound like a live album, etc etc. But what I'm curious about is, was there any studio sleight-of-hand in terms of the performance? Did they go back and "touch up" things, or are we hearing 100% live performance? I can't quite put my finger on it, but somewhere along the line, between all those comments from Ged about the album and just listening to how perfect the songs were, I started getting the impression that it was not necessarily 100% live material, even though I don't recall anyone ever coming right out and saying it that way. Has anyone else wondered about this? Just curious.

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 16 2010, 06:44 PM)

Definitely different. The CD has the blown Xanadu drum fill, the DVD does not. yes.gif

Where is the blown drum fill in the cd version? I'm not saying it didn't happen i have just never noticed.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Aug 17 2010, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (slambozzio @ Aug 17 2010, 02:55 AM)
Still my all-time fave Rush live album  1022.gif

My all time favorite 2.gif album 1022.gif

2.gif 1022.gif

Same here. I never tire of this album, even though its almost 30 years old and still sounds fresh and awesome in equal measure

I believe there was a lot of studio patchwork done on the ESL record. To my knowledge, only side 1 of the vinyl (Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta and YYZ) was recorded in Montreal in March 1981 (same as the video), with only Red Barchetta making it to VHS. Side 2 (Passage, Closer, Beneath, Jacob's) was recorded in the UK on the PeW tour. I have no idea where in Canada the rest was recorded, but Trees, Xanadu, Freewill and Tom Sawyer on the video do not match the album recording.

While we are on the subject, a friend of mine brought to my attention the fact that the audio track for Tom Sawyer on the "Exit...Stage Left" video is different on the original VHS/Laserdisc/Brazilian DVD and on the X3 Replay version. Sure enough, if you listen to the chorus after the guitar solo ("What you say about society..."), there is a drum roll on VHS and a different fill on X3, which seems to match more the album version.

I wonder if anyone noticed and which is the original take? Sounds liek they did a bit of fixing up on X3.

QUOTE (Skyhcky @ Aug 17 2010, 08:10 AM)

Where is the blown drum fill in the cd version? I'm not saying it didn't happen i have just never noticed.

5:02 - dropped stick, perhaps.

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Aug 17 2010, 01:22 PM)
  (Passage, Closer, Beneath, Jacob's) was recorded in the UK on the PeW tour. I have no idea where in Canada the rest was recorded, but Trees, Xanadu, Freewill and Tom Sawyer on the video do not match the album recording.

Passage, Closer, Beneath & Jacob's where all recorded at the Glasgow Apollo on the Permanent Waves Tour in 1980...I was there biggrin.gif

I think the video was mixed and mastered over a year after the album, which accounts for the totally different "feel" that the video has. (Much better, IMO, although I still love the CD).

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 17 2010, 07:49 AM)

ha, that's hilarious. That was the song that turned me into a Rush Fanatic and i never noticed the oops smile.gif

QUOTE (Skyhcky @ Aug 18 2010, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 17 2010, 07:49 AM)

ha, that's hilarious. That was the song that turned me into a Rush Fanatic and i never noticed the oops smile.gif

laugh.gif

I honestly have no idea what happened. But I've always envisioned that he did his famous stick throw in the air, missed it, and had to do the fill with one stick.

Archived