The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 16 2012, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 16 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:37 AM)
One thing that really annoyed me last season was how it was really "Amy Pond... and her sidekicks"

I think Matt could do sooooooo much better, if they didn't center almost every episode around Amy. And I think Amy could be a lot better if the show wasn't so focused on her.

well.....at least Amy is a much better character to do that with...as opposed when they tried to do it with Rose.....

but at least with Rose, feelings for the Doctor wasn't the main story (which is mostly what sub-plot was about).. with Amy it's about the crack in her wall, where are her parents, does she still love Rory, is she going to become a weeping angel, what is her connection to River, how did she get into the Pandorica, where did she vanish off to, why is her and Rory seperated, etc.

All they really need to do is a little tweaking and not make it always about HER and be more about the Doctor... and things will be much better (this last episode did a MUCH better job of featuring the Doctor rather than Amy.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like a completely helpless assistant that's always crying for help either... but the Doctor is the "Alpha" here.. not her.

I did like last nights episode in that they are making the Doctor have more of a "mean" streak (which would only come out from time to time with the previous two Doctors... but you knew it was always there.)

I don't disagree too much... Moffatt's run with the show has been unusually focused on the companion more so than with any previous companion... but I think Amy and Rory are good companions to do that with.... yes I'd like a bit more attention focused on the Doctor's story (it is his show after all), but it's not that much of a bother as Amy and Rory are very well written, if a bit receiving a bit too much focus.

But how can you not say that Rose had the same treatment if not more focus that was drawn away from the Doctor than that of Amy and Rory... for some reason Russel T Davies had a huge hard-on for Rose and it got very irritating after a while.... don't get me wrong I don't hate Rose... and I know alot of people that do... but I also however do not see Rose as the "bar, by wich all other companions shall be judged" either, as it seems to be the opinion of alot of revived Doctor Who fans...(and Russel T Davies) ...

Rose was alright in the first season.... I actually really enjoyed Rose in the first season.... because she fit that perfect niche that a companion should fill... as a surrogate for the audience into the Whoniverse... that first season was about the fallout the Doctor was experiencing after the time war, and his learning to move pass it...and there was never a point where the production staff and writers were forcing the companion (I.E Rose) into the forefront to overshadow the Doctor's story arc in that season...

But starting the second season that changed... luckily we had David Tennant's wonderful Doctor to hold the show up because it was here that Rose really starts to irritate me (no Offense to Billy Piper...she did not write the scripts)....that whole second season and forward it is really hard to tolerate her at times, and they gave her too much focus within the story... the same issue you're having with Amy Pond...and her character was pushed to some annoying extremes... she was just awful to her boyfriend and mother, was bitchy and insulting to Sarah Jane in the School reunion episode, and got too jealous and protective when anyone got too near to the Doctor... the whole romance thing was carried too far..... Amy might be receiving the alot of the same foreground but Amy has far less of the annoying ticks that Rose had...

Rose was decent, and despite all Ive pointed out, I don't hate that character...I love most of the Russel T Davies WHO... even the season with Martha Jones... 062802puke_prv.gif who makes Rose look like a saint...

One thing that might be an issue with Amy and Rory is this though.... Amy and Rory do not have a set of supporting characters based on Earth, that by extension help define the companions... Rose and.... ughh Martha, both had families that were on Earth... people, that despite traveling with the Doctor, gave the companion something to care about back home, and make the companion more 3 dimensional... I loved Mickey and Jackie....and later on Pete... in alot of cases more so than Rose... and Martha Jone's family was her only saving grace... and don't get me started on Donna's family, Donna is still my favorite companion of the revived series, but I absolutely LOVED Wilfed Mott...favorite character in all of the Revival (aside from the doctors)....

But Amy and Rory do not have that "on earth" connection, no supporting cast on earth that they care about....hell... Rory's father was only introduced 1 episode ago... 3 episodes before they leave.... my 1 complaint about Amy and Rory as companions....

I don't mind alot of the focus on Amy's story even if it does somewhat diminish that of the Doctor.... I think if you're gonna do that, at least make sure it's a well written character... and Amy (and Rory) are just that... once again as opposed when they did the same thing before to a less well written character.

on a different note, I was rewatching last season's finale a couple of weeks ago before the start of the new series, and was once again brought to tears by one particular scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZP26lblTg

When the Doctor tries to get ahold of the Brigadier in the season finale.. I lost it... for one it was not only a great sendoff for one of the best Doctor Who supporting characters....screw it... THE BEST supporting character in DW history, but also a touching memoriam to the actor who played him...Nicholas Courtney who passed away while the 6th series was in the writing process (and only a couple of months before Liz Sladen died) ...

For those unfamiliar to Classic Who (and I am a relative newcomer myself) The Brig, or Brigadier Gordon Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart was a long-time supporting character during the time of the 2nd-4th Doctor era.... and an all around bad ass..

... the small aside in last series' finale was unexpected and very welcome, especially since the character never appeared in the revived series, but hats off to Steven Moffatt for including that aside in the episode...

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 16 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 16 2012, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 16 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:37 AM)
One thing that really annoyed me last season was how it was really "Amy Pond... and her sidekicks"

I think Matt could do sooooooo much better, if they didn't center almost every episode around Amy. And I think Amy could be a lot better if the show wasn't so focused on her.

well.....at least Amy is a much better character to do that with...as opposed when they tried to do it with Rose.....

but at least with Rose, feelings for the Doctor wasn't the main story (which is mostly what sub-plot was about).. with Amy it's about the crack in her wall, where are her parents, does she still love Rory, is she going to become a weeping angel, what is her connection to River, how did she get into the Pandorica, where did she vanish off to, why is her and Rory seperated, etc.

All they really need to do is a little tweaking and not make it always about HER and be more about the Doctor... and things will be much better (this last episode did a MUCH better job of featuring the Doctor rather than Amy.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like a completely helpless assistant that's always crying for help either... but the Doctor is the "Alpha" here.. not her.

I did like last nights episode in that they are making the Doctor have more of a "mean" streak (which would only come out from time to time with the previous two Doctors... but you knew it was always there.)

I don't disagree too much... Moffatt's run with the show has been unusually focused on the companion more so than with any previous companion... but I think Amy and Rory are good companions to do that with.... yes I'd like a bit more attention focused on the Doctor's story (it is his show after all), but it's not that much of a bother as Amy and Rory are very well written, if a bit receiving a bit too much focus.

But how can you not say that Rose had the same treatment if not more focus that was drawn away from the Doctor than that of Amy and Rory... for some reason Russel T Davies had a huge hard-on for Rose and it got very irritating after a while.... don't get me wrong I don't hate Rose... and I know alot of people that do... but I also however do not see Rose as the "bar, by wich all other companions shall be judged" either, as it seems to be the opinion of alot of revived Doctor Who fans...(and Russel T Davies) ...

Rose was alright in the first season.... I actually really enjoyed Rose in the first season.... because she fit that perfect niche that a companion should fill... as a surrogate for the audience into the Whoniverse... that first season was about the fallout the Doctor was experiencing after the time war, and his learning to move pass it...and there was never a point where the production staff and writers were forcing the companion (I.E Rose) into the forefront to overshadow the Doctor's story arc in that season...

But starting the second season that changed... luckily we had David Tennant's wonderful Doctor to hold the show up because it was here that Rose really starts to irritate me (no Offense to Billy Piper...she did not write the scripts)....that whole second season and forward it is really hard to tolerate her at times, and they gave her too much focus within the story... the same issue you're having with Amy Pond...and her character was pushed to some annoying extremes... she was just awful to her boyfriend and mother, was bitchy and insulting to Sarah Jane in the School reunion episode, and got too jealous and protective when anyone got too near to the Doctor... the whole romance thing was carried too far..... Amy might be receiving the alot of the same foreground but Amy has far less of the annoying ticks that Rose had...

Rose was decent, and despite all Ive pointed out, I don't hate that character...I love most of the Russel T Davies WHO... even the season with Martha Jones... 062802puke_prv.gif who makes Rose look like a saint...

One thing that might be an issue with Amy and Rory is this though.... Amy and Rory do not have a set of supporting characters based on Earth, that by extension help define the companions... Rose and.... ughh Martha, both had families that were on Earth... people, that despite traveling with the Doctor, gave the companion something to care about back home, and make the companion more 3 dimensional... I loved Mickey and Jackie....and later on Pete... in alot of cases more so than Rose... and Martha Jone's family was her only saving grace... and don't get me started on Donna's family, Donna is still my favorite companion of the revived series, but I absolutely LOVED Wilfed Mott...favorite character in all of the Revival (aside from the doctors)....

But Amy and Rory do not have that "on earth" connection, no supporting cast on earth that they care about....hell... Rory's father was only introduced 1 episode ago... 3 episodes before they leave.... my 1 complaint about Amy and Rory as companions....

I don't mind alot of the focus on Amy's story even if it does somewhat diminish that of the Doctor.... I think if you're gonna do that, at least make sure it's a well written character... and Amy (and Rory) are just that... once again as opposed when they did the same thing before to a less well written character.

ok, I see where you are coming from now. And I can easily see how you like Amy over Rose based on that.

No, I don't blame "Amy" for the writing of Moffatt... and I think that if you pared Amy and Rory with Tennent (with RTD doing the writing) you would have possibly the best mixture between the two.

Based on all that, I should really clarify that my issue is more with the writing then Amy herself (and possibly with Matt not having the same "controlling" look the two previous Doctors had.)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 17 2012, 05:45 AM)
on a different note, I was rewatching last season's finale a couple of weeks ago before the start of the new series, and was once again brought to tears by one particular scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZP26lblTg

When the Doctor tries to get ahold of the Brigadier in the season finale.. I lost it... for one it was not only a great sendoff for one of the best Doctor Who supporting characters....screw it... THE BEST supporting character in DW history, but also a touching memoriam to the actor who played him...Nicholas Courtney who passed away while the 6th series was in the writing process (and only a couple of months before Liz Sladen died) ...

For those unfamiliar to Classic Who (and I am a relative newcomer myself) The Brig, or Brigadier Gordon Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart was a long-time supporting character during the time of the 2nd-4th Doctor era.... and an all around bad ass..

... the small aside in last series' finale was unexpected and very welcome, especially since the character never appeared in the revived series, but hats off to Steven Moffatt for including that aside in the episode...

Agreed trink39.gif

That was finely judged and very emotional scene. Brought a tear to my eye too.

And it's so sad that since then we've also lost Liz Shaw and Romana I

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 17 2012, 09:49 PM)
And it's so sad that since then we've also lost Liz Shaw and Romana I

Very sad.gif rose.gif rose.gif Oh yeah and fark cancer as well angry.gif

Hopefully lining up Image of the Fendahl / Brain of Morbius / Invasion of Time next. Any comments on these three stories peeps?

Edited by Steevo

Pertwee's 'Ambassadors of Death' was released on DVD yesterday.

Wow! Great story.

It was also quite sad listening to the commentary, in which both Caroline John and Nicholas Courtney appear rose.gif

So, my friend is a huge Sci-fi nut and kept telling me how great this show is and that I needed to watch it. I started off with the 2005 reboot because that was the easiest to find. I'm all caught up with this version of the show and I think it's just great. My knowledge of The Doctor doesn't go beyond the reboot though, so as of right now my favorite doctor is easily David Tennant. The guy brought so much magic, life and energy to the role. For me it's gonna be hard for them to find someone as good at playing The Doctor as Tennant was. Christopher Eccleston was great in the role to, along with Tennat he brought a special magic to the role that I don't really see in Matt Smith. He's done a very good job so far but he's just missing that extra something for me that the other two had.

The only companion I didn't care too much about was Martha Jones. I thought all the other ones were great, with Amy and Rose being my favorites. Catherine Tate did a suprisingly good job in that role to. I only knew as a comdeic actress before this, so it was interresting to see her play a more dramatic character on the show.

My favorite enemy of The Doctor are the Weeping Angels. They're just so creepy, yet so damn cool at the same time.

As I skimmed through this thread, I realised that I have my work cut out for me in going back and trying to watch all the old Doctor Who shows, as it seems some of them are hard to find or don't exist anymore. Should I just go back as far as I can and start with whatever stories are available with the first doctor? Or is there one particular doctor I should check out before the others?

Hi J2112YYZ bekloppt.gif Welcome aboard.

There are plenty of great stories in Classic Doctor Who, but there are also a few that are liable to put you off if you're not used to the style of it. With classic Who, you really need to be able to look past the budget restraints...if you can do that, then you should enjoy yourself.

It's probably a good idea to test the water with a Tom Baker story. He's generally regarded as the quintessential Doctor, and a good introduction to classic Who.

I'd recommend starting with one of his, and if you like that then you can go exploring further.

'City of Death' is my all time favourite story, with quite a bit of humour (it was written by Douglas Adams, who would go on to fame with the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).

Other classics are 'Genesis of the Daleks', 'Pyramids of Mars', 'Seeds of Doom' and 'Talons of Weng-Chiang'

Hope I've been some help.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 8 2012, 10:39 AM)
Hi J2112YYZ bekloppt.gif Welcome aboard.

There are plenty of great stories in Classic Doctor Who, but there are also a few that are liable to put you off if you're not used to the style of it. With classic Who, you really need to be able to look past the budget restraints...if you can do that, then you should enjoy yourself.

It's probably a good idea to test the water with a Tom Baker story. He's generally regarded as the quintessential Doctor, and a good introduction to classic Who.
I'd recommend starting with one of his, and if you like that then you can go exploring further.

'City of Death' is my all time favourite story, with quite a bit of humour (it was written by Douglas Adams, who would go on to fame with  the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).
Other classics are 'Genesis of the Daleks', 'Pyramids of Mars', 'Seeds of Doom' and 'Talons of Weng-Chiang'

Hope I've been some help.

Thanks, I guess i'll start with that and see how I like it.

I have some questions about the last episode. Why can't The Doctor ever see Amy or Rory again? Maybe I missed something, but can't he just get in the Tardis and go to a time when they were alive? It's not like he hasn't screwed up timelines before. I get not going back to NYC in 1936 but there are other points he can go to if he wants to see them that won't rip NYC apart. It really shouldn't be that big of a problem for him.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Recently I got the fifth series of The Avengers (y'know, the one with John Steed and Emma Peel) and it was a great surprise to see a pre-Doctor Who Jon Pertwee turn up in an episode, playing, of all things, an eccentric Brigadier.

Fantastic stuff!

Edited by Your_Lion

I believe the first part of season seven comes out on DVD today.

I still do plan on watching all of the old Doctor Who stuff I can, but right now my viewing time is being taken up by the new fall seasons of TV shows and the NFL. I'll get around to the old Who shows at some point though.

I believe the first part of season seven comes out on DVD today.

I still do plan on watching all of the old Doctor Who stuff I can, but right now my viewing time is being taken up by the new fall seasons of TV shows and the NFL. I'll get around to the old Who shows at some point though.

No problem :cheers: That's one of the things about classic Who. You can pretty much dip in whenever and wherever you want, without having to worry about ongoing story arcs (well, with a few exceptions)

Love the avatar :ebert:

I really wish they'd quit running the whole "Doctor Who" (as a question) in the ground..

It was really cool at the end of the 6th season finale, and kind of got old when they kept doing it during the first half of season 7... but it got annoying on last night's special.

I really wish they'd quit running the whole "Doctor Who" (as a question) in the ground..

It was really cool at the end of the 6th season finale, and kind of got old when they kept doing it during the first half of season 7... but it got annoying on last night's special.

I imagine it will all tie into the 50th anniversary special. So you can expect a bit more of it to come.

The series 6 finale said the question would be asked at "the fall of the 11th", which sounds like Matt Smith's regeneration to me, so I guess you'll have to get used to hearing it until then.

But, yes. I enjoyed the Christmas episode.

Strax was comedy gold.

I imagine it will all tie into the 50th anniversary special. So you can expect a bit more of it to come.

The series 6 finale said the question would be asked at "the fall of the 11th", which sounds like Matt Smith's regeneration to me, so I guess you'll have to get used to hearing it until then.

But, yes. I enjoyed the Christmas episode.

Strax was comedy gold.

Yes, Strax was very funny. "Sir! Emergancy! I think i've been run over by a cab" :LMAO:

The new companion is very interesting since she's now died in two sperate timelines, in the season opener and this one. I'm curious to see where they're going with her. It looks like it might be more than just some human joining up with The Doctor.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Im intrigued by Oswin as well... at first I thought they were gonna pull another River Song with her... (The Doctor meets her at the end of her story line)...but this is very different.

I also hope they don't pull a South Park "Kenny" type of thing as well and have her die in every episode.

Im intrigued by Oswin as well... at first I thought they were gonna pull another River Song with her... (The Doctor meets her at the end of her story line)...but this is very different.

I also hope they don't pull a South Park "Kenny" type of thing as well and have her die in every episode.

I don't think they'll pull a "Kenny" with Clara. I think they may have her die a few more times until The Doctor figures out what's going on with her and who or what she is. Once that happens then they can go on their adventures together without her dying.

So is Clara the first one to say that the Tardis is "smaller on the outside?" I thought that was pretty funny. I took me a bit to warm up to Matt Smith as The Doctor but now I find the longer he does it the more i'm liking him.