The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Seems like I'm the odd on out with Matt Smith, since I loved him from his first appearance.

When he was first announced, I was skeptical. I didn't mind that he was an unknown, infact I preferred it. I never go in for the "Who would you want to play the Doctor" thing, because I want someone I don't know. But I did think he was rather young for the part, and after Tennant, I was hoping they'd go in the other direction and have an older Doctor again.

But there was something about his hand gestures during his first interview that reminded me of what Patrick Troughton's Doctor used to do (and that was even before Troughton went on to become Matt's favourite Doctor).

I was further relieved when the first on set photos arrived of him in costume. I was expecting him to be dressed in something to make him look 'cool' (infact, the original idea was to have him dressed quite Piratical...they even fitted him for the costume and everything...they still haven't released the photos of that original costume)...so to see him in with a tweedy professor with a bow tie look...I liked it (although, most people don't believe me when I tell them that I wore a bow tie before Matt Smith did...but it's true)

I love both Eccleston and Tennant (heck, I'm a fan of all eleven Doctors...which is rare), but Smith's my favourite of the Nu-Who bunch. I can see aspects of the first four Doctors in his performance. He has the impishness of Patrick Troughton, the alien eccentricity of Tom Baker, when he's serious he has a hint of Jon Pertwee's gravitas, and despite his young age, he somehow manages to have some of William Hartnell's 'old geeze' qualities. All while having something uniquely 'Smithy'.

Sorry...I rambled on longer than I thought I would

• Like 1

I liked Smith from the beginning as well. I think he's hilarious.

The last two episodes were pretty good, I think. The submarine one, and the "ghost" one.

With so few episodes this year, I'm afraid we're going to have to wait a long time to figure out Clara's deal. Especially since the Doctor has learned nothing so far.

• Like 1

Yeah, the last two episodes have been great.

I loved seeing the Ice Warriors back, who haven't been in since 1974. A good re-introduction, and I can't wait to see more.

I think last nights episode is my favourite of the year, so far.

(Although Smith miss-pronounced Metebelis 3, saying Met-a-bell-iss instead of Met-a-bee-liss...but that's just me being all geeky and fanish :LOL: )

I absolutely loved David Tennant as the last Doctor, I actually liked Billie Piper's Rose Tyler (go ahead - spank me), it took about 3 episodes to get used to Matt Smith and now I quite like him, loved Amy and Rory Pond, and now I'm trying to get used to Clara Oswain (?)

My theory about Clara is she's a Time Lady. Don't ask why.

Yes I liked Amy and Rory too. I think Smith has toned his Doctor down quite a bit from his first series - seems to be a bit more of issued now. To begin with, I felt he was trying a bit too hard. I grew up with Pertwee and Tom Baker as my Doctors and I'll always have a soft spot for them. Tennant was by far my favourite though.

Never thought we'd see the Icemen again. Personally I'm a Dalek kind of gal :-P

Seems like I'm the odd on out with Matt Smith, since I loved him from his first appearance.

When he was first announced, I was skeptical. I didn't mind that he was an unknown, infact I preferred it. I never go in for the "Who would you want to play the Doctor" thing, because I want someone I don't know. But I did think he was rather young for the part, and after Tennant, I was hoping they'd go in the other direction and have an older Doctor again.

But there was something about his hand gestures during his first interview that reminded me of what Patrick Troughton's Doctor used to do (and that was even before Troughton went on to become Matt's favourite Doctor).

I was further relieved when the first on set photos arrived of him in costume. I was expecting him to be dressed in something to make him look 'cool' (infact, the original idea was to have him dressed quite Piratical...they even fitted him for the costume and everything...they still haven't released the photos of that original costume)...so to see him in with a tweedy professor with a bow tie look...I liked it (although, most people don't believe me when I tell them that I wore a bow tie before Matt Smith did...but it's true)

I love both Eccleston and Tennant (heck, I'm a fan of all eleven Doctors...which is rare), but Smith's my favourite of the Nu-Who bunch. I can see aspects of the first four Doctors in his performance. He has the impishness of Patrick Troughton, the alien eccentricity of Tom Baker, when he's serious he has a hint of Jon Pertwee's gravitas, and despite his young age, he somehow manages to have some of William Hartnell's 'old geeze' qualities. All while having something uniquely 'Smithy'.

Sorry...I rambled on longer than I thought I would

That's OK. It was a good Doctor like ramble. You even used some big and smart sounding words :ebert:

Last weeks episodes was decent but I didn't think it was anything that special. I liked last night's episode and how they did a unique take on the whole ghost hunting thing that's gotten popular over the last few years. They also gaves us something different to think about when it comes to what ghosts really are with that lady being trapped in a pocket demension. Nice story twist right there.

• Like 1

I would like to throw something out there that's going to sound exceptionally weird: I was born in 1971, which meant that Jon Pertwee was the Doctor. Any episodes I could've seen might've been from the very late Tom Baker era. Here's the weirdest bit coming up: if I saw some episodes from the Tom Baker era while growing up, including all the episodes from Peter Davidson, Colin Baker to Sylvester McCoy, how come I "remember" watching William Hartnell and Patrick Trouton (from 1963+) when there were no reruns from the 80s and all episodes ran in order? At the same time as watching Tom Baker?

I would like to throw something out there that's going to sound exceptionally weird: I was born in 1971, which meant that Jon Pertwee was the Doctor. Any episodes I could've seen might've been from the very late Tom Baker era. Here's the weirdest bit coming up: if I saw some episodes from the Tom Baker era while growing up, including all the episodes from Peter Davidson, Colin Baker to Sylvester McCoy, how come I "remember" watching William Hartnell and Patrick Trouton (from 1963+) when there were no reruns from the 80s and all episodes ran in order? At the same time as watching Tom Baker?

In 1981, between Tom Baker and Peter Davison, they did something called The Five Faces of Doctor Who, where they repeated stories with each Doctor.

They repeated An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC (Hartnell...also the very first episode, ever), The Krotons (Troughton), The Three Doctors (Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee), Carnival of Monsters (Pertwee) and Logopolis (Baker's last story, with regeneration into Davison).

That was the first time they repeated any stories from the 60s. If you saw any Hartnell or Troughton growing up, it would have been those repeats.

• Like 1

In 1981, between Tom Baker and Peter Davison, they did something called The Five Faces of Doctor Who, where they repeated stories with each Doctor.

They repeated An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC (Hartnell...also the very first episode, ever), The Krotons (Troughton), The Three Doctors (Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee), Carnival of Monsters (Pertwee) and Logopolis (Baker's last story, with regeneration into Davison).

That was the first time they repeated any stories from the 60s. If you saw any Hartnell or Troughton growing up, it would have been those repeats.

Oh my God - so I did see those episodes! :o I must have definitely been too young to realize it. Thank you, Yuor_Lnio, for this explanation - I thought I'd gone completely crackers all these years! I could never explain how come I saw all the 1963+ episodes!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Oh my God - so I did see those episodes! :o I must have definitely been too young to realize it. Thank you, Yuor_Lnio, for this explanation - I thought I'd gone completely crackers all these years! I could never explain how come I saw all the 1963+ episodes!

I was gonna go with the idea that since you were born in England after Doctor Who had started, they impalnted a chip in your brain after you were born to make you remember the shows you missed even though you've never seen them. But Your Lion's explanation seems like the more logical one :LOL:

• Like 1

I was gonna go with the idea that since you were born in England after Doctor Who had started, they impalnted a chip in your brain after you were born to make you remember the shows you missed even though you've never seen them. But Your Lion's explanation seems like the more logical one :LOL:

Brilliant..! :LOL: :LOL:

Good to see a Doctor Who story set up North in good ol' Yorkshire...where I live...and nice to see Matt Smith put on a (convincing if comical) Yorkshire accent, (Dame Diana Rigg, too)...'eee, it were right grand, s'thee

I really wasn't feeling the new episode at all. It was a good idea but the story just seemed a bit rushed. It seems to me that they could've paced it out a bit and made it a two parter. There was a lot going on a Sweetville that they could've got more in to I think. I did like the ending though where the kids Clara babysits find out what she's been up to and want to go along with her and The Doctor next time.

I really enjoyed last weeks episode. They havn't gone deep into the Tardis too many times but it's a fun and freaky ride when they do.

Good to see a Doctor Who story set up North in good ol' Yorkshire...where I live...and nice to see Matt Smith put on a (convincing if comical) Yorkshire accent, (Dame Diana Rigg, too)...'eee, it were right grand, s'thee

Great episode! :ebert:

After DVD Shipping Error, BBC Asks Fans Not to Spoil ‘Doctor Who’ Finale

The problem began when “a small number” of Doctor Who fans in the United States who pre-ordered the series on DVD began receiving their orders about three weeks early, according to BBC Worldwide. Contained on these discs was the culminating episode “The Name of the Doctor,” which is not scheduled to be shown until Saturday.

BBC Worldwide said in a statement, “We are asking fans who may have the discs not to divulge plot details so that fellow fans who have yet to see the episodes do not have their viewing pleasure ruined,” adding that it was “currently investigating how this has happened.”

As a trade of sorts, BBC Worldwide said that Steven Moffat, the Doctor Who producer, would share a special video featuring Mr. Smith and David Tennant, the actor who preceded him in the role of the Doctor, if in-the-know audience members kept their mouths shut.

Yeouch...what a blunder

Just watched the season finale tonight The Name Of The Doctor....

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great episode!!!!!

I'm really mixed about it. There was some good stuff in it but I still ahve no idea what the Whispermen were and why Simeon wanted to go to Trenzalore other than "revenge". Moffatt lied to us, he told us a secret would be revealed in THIS episode. I'm not wanting his name to be revealed but at least some kind of secret abot him. You could argue John Hurt was the secret but what did we really learn about him? False advertising by Moffatt there. But then again I don't want to be hard on the episode because while it's technically a stand alone episode it's going to lead into the 50th technically making it a two-parter. The whole crossing time lines got a bit confusing, Simeon, then Clara then the Doctor it all got a bit confusing and convoluted at times. And the mystery behind Clara was just predictbale and they told the audience in the first ten minutes. No build up at all. The integration of the classic series clips was good. Overall I'd say 7 or 6/10.

I really liked this episode. The big question about why Clara was in different timelines was answered and I liked the way they did it. Makes perfect sense now as to why she doesn't remember her other lives. I don't know what to make of John Hurt as The Doctor though. When they showed that I just thought to myself "uhhh, OK?" No real intrigue at all there for me to be honest. The Doctor must have really pissed Simeon off with what he did in The Snowmen. Simeon went to great lengths to get revenge on him. A very good season finale that sets things up well for next season. Looking forward to the 50th anniversary episode and the return of David Tennant :notworthy:

I was fascinated by all the multi-Doctors racing about in their own timelines! :)

Though when I saw John Hurt, and the 'John Hurt as the Doctor' screen, I was like "What the f...?! :o

Matt Smith leaving Dr Who

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22741493

I heard rumblings that there was going to be an announcement yesterday, and this was the obvious one.

I love Matt's Doctor, so I'll be sad to see him go, but the programme is all about change, so I'll be excited to see who we get next.

Matt Smith is leaving a little earlier than I thought. I was thinking it would be at the end of the next season not the Christmas special. I wonder if John Hurt is the next incarnation of The Doctor or if they'll bring in someone younger again like they did with Smith and Tennant?

Matt Smith is leaving a little earlier than I thought. I was thinking it would be at the end of the next season not the Christmas special. I wonder if John Hurt is the next incarnation of The Doctor or if they'll bring in someone younger again like they did with Smith and Tennant?

One theory for Hurt's Doctor (and the theory I'm going with for the moment) is that he's an incarnation between McGann and Eccleston, and that it was him responsible for ending the Time War and destroying the Time Lords (that being the event where he turned his back on what the name of the Doctor stands for)

But I could be completely wrong...we'll find out in November.

• Like 1

Matt Smith leaving Dr Who

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22741493

I heard rumblings that there was going to be an announcement yesterday, and this was the obvious one.

I love Matt's Doctor, so I'll be sad to see him go, but the programme is all about change, so I'll be excited to see who we get next.

Matt Smith was a good interpretation. :)

I just wish they'd stay a bit longer... :sigh: