The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Can someone explain something to me about the 8th Doctor? As far as I can see, he's described as the "missing Doctor". Wasn't Paul McGann the 8th Doctor? Are the BBC going to act like his incarnation doesn't exist? Because he was a movie version?

Well, NewWho is certainly acknowledging his existence. There have been several times they've shown montages of the Doctors previous incarnations, or images of his past faces (Eg.The Next Doctor, The Eleventh Hour and Nightmare in Silver) and in every case, McGann was included.

Also, since the early 2000's, he's been recording monthly audio adventures (so have the 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors, and more recently so has the 4th), so there are much more Paul McGann adventures around than you may think.

Among fandom, McGann returning for another adventure is one of the most wished for things (certainly it is for me), and since we never saw how old he looked when he "regenerated", he's the only classic Doctor that you wouldn't have to explain away the actors age difference.

Thanks for that! :)

No problemo :) ...and as you can see, he's not missing from my sig

That's good! :)

I noticed yesterday Matt Smith only has two episodes left. The 50th anniversary and the Christmas special. I thought there was gonna be some more episodes between the specials but there's not. I wonder how good of a send off they'll give him? I doubt they can top the farewell they gave to David Tennant.

I noticed yesterday Matt Smith only has two episodes left. The 50th anniversary and the Christmas special. I thought there was gonna be some more episodes between the specials but there's not. I wonder how good of a send off they'll give him? I doubt they can top the farewell they gave to David Tennant.

Yeah, it's a shame. For an anniversary year, where not getting as many new episodes as I'd hoped. And in England, we haven't even had any repeats of old episodes, like BBC America has done.

However, I'm sure Matt Smith will have a spectacular swan song.

On a side note, just got The Mind of Evil on DVD, which was released today. So that means I've now got the complete run of Jon Pertwee stories on DVD. Just about to watch it now.

Nice. My collection of Tom is coming along fine as well :cheers:

Good good :cheers:

For Tom, I've only got Terror of the Zygons left to get, which isn't released until the end of September

Excellent work. Are you a completist with the first two Docs?

Yeah. I've got all of there stories that are complete, which is depressingly few, especially for Patrick Troughton.

But for the stories that still partially exist, they have started animating the missing episodes. They have released two of those already, which are really well done, with more coming in the future.

One more Q, are you picking up the official magazine? I see it in my local newsagents occasionally but haven't had time to look through it yet.

Yeah, I get the Doctor Who Magazine every month. It's a great magazine for behind the scenes on the show, and interviews with with just about everyone. The best thing about it is the balance between the eras it covers. It's not just for the new stuff. There are always articles and interviews stretching right back to the 60's, right up to present day.

One recent highlight was a newly discovered interview with Jon Pertwee, from shortly before his death. He was candid about his life, from standing up to bullies as a child in a strict boarding school, to accounts of his time in WW2, you could see all the things that he put into his Doctor. It was quite an emotional read.

The latest one here has the Daleks on the cover, looks an excellent read on that feature special.

Just got The Ice Warriors on DVD. It's not actually out until Monday, so I was surprised when it dropped through my letterbox (amazon pre-order, sometimes I love you)

As you may or may not know, The Ice Warriors is a six part Patrick Troughton story, but only episodes 1, 4, 5 and 6 exist in the BBC archives. So, for this release, the missing episodes 2 and 3 have been animated to the existing soundtrack :yay: (they did the same thing with The Invasion and The Reign of Terror, and will shortly be doing the same with The Tenth Planet and The Moonbase)

Looking forward to watching this tonight. I've already seen the four surviving episodes, which are amazing, so I can't wait to watch the whole thing.

Can someone explain something to me about the 8th Doctor? As far as I can see, he's described as the "missing Doctor". Wasn't Paul McGann the 8th Doctor? Are the BBC going to act like his incarnation doesn't exist? Because he was a movie version?
Well, NewWho is certainly acknowledging his existence. There have been several times they've shown montages of the Doctors previous incarnations, or images of his past faces (Eg.The Next Doctor, The Eleventh Hour and Nightmare in Silver) and in every case, McGann was included. Also, since the early 2000's, he's been recording monthly audio adventures (so have the 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors, and more recently so has the 4th), so there are much more Paul McGann adventures around than you may think. Among fandom, McGann returning for another adventure is one of the most wished for things (certainly it is for me), and since we never saw how old he looked when he "regenerated", he's the only classic Doctor that you wouldn't have to explain away the actors age difference.

well said

depending on how you look at it. McGann was the longest serving doctor. 1996-2005. it's obvious the 9th doctor had just regenerated prior to Rose as when he looked in the mirror in her house he was noting the changes. And from 96-05, McGann had put out new media. No shows of course, but radio drama's and books, as stated above.

I realy wished the had gone back to cover the 8th doctor when Tennant left. Cover the whole Time War thing....

• Like 1

Well, NewWho is certainly acknowledging his existence. There have been several times they've shown montages of the Doctors previous incarnations, or images of his past faces (Eg.The Next Doctor, The Eleventh Hour and Nightmare in Silver) and in every case, McGann was included. Also, since the early 2000's, he's been recording monthly audio adventures (so have the 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors, and more recently so has the 4th), so there are much more Paul McGann adventures around than you may think. Among fandom, McGann returning for another adventure is one of the most wished for things (certainly it is for me), and since we never saw how old he looked when he "regenerated", he's the only classic Doctor that you wouldn't have to explain away the actors age difference.

well said

depending on how you look at it. McGann was the longest serving doctor. 1996-2005. it's obvious the 9th doctor had just regenerated prior to Rose as when he looked in the mirror in her house he was noting the changes. And from 96-05, McGann had put out new media. No shows of course, but radio drama's and books, as stated above.

I realy wished the had gone back to cover the 8th doctor when Tennant left. Cover the whole Time War thing....

Agreed. McGann needs another shot at the part on screen. A mini-series would be amazing. You can say what you like about the 1996 TV movie/pilot, but McGann himself was nothing short of spectacular in it.

I remember last year, when McGann finally did a new photoshoot for the Big Finish audios, and he was wearing a new costume. Fan rumours went through the roof. Surely they wouldn't redesign a whole new costume just for the CD covers. Surely he must be making an appearance on screen.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for the 50th.

Getting excited for the 50th. Not just the on screen stuff.

Big Finish audios is releasing "The Light at the End"...a two hour audio adventure featuring Doctors 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

There are interviews with all involved in the latest DWM. Can't wait for this.

http://www.kasterborous.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/2013/09/dwm465cover.jpg

• Like 1

Just got the Terror of the Zygons DVD, which was released today.

That mean that, not only do I now own the complete set of Tom Baker stories ( :yay: ), but I have a complete run of stories from 1969's The War Games up to present day ( :o wow!)

• Like 1

That mean that, not only do I now own the complete set of Tom Baker stories ( :yay: ), but I have a complete run of stories from 1969's The War Games up to present day ( :o wow!)

Awesome collection! I'm still catching up with all the TB Box sets (aside from Key to Time) and quite a few singles (just nabbed Fendahl and Morbius) ...I shall get there though! :madra:

• Like 1

Awesome collection! I'm still catching up with all the TB Box sets (aside from Key to Time) and quite a few singles (just nabbed Fendahl and Morbius) ...I shall get there though! :madra:

I was slightly hesitant to put the DVD in the player and watch it...because I knew that that would be it...there'd be no more Tom Baker episodes I hadn't seen, no more fully complete classic episodes...so even though it was from Tom's second series, it felt like I was watching his last episode.

Anyway, I watched it...and naturally it was fantastic. I thought Lis Sladen was particularly good in this one.

• Like 1

Holy Sh!t!!! :o

A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.

BBC Worldwide is expected to confirm the find at a press screening in London later this week.

It follows weeks of speculation that some lost episodes had been located.

A total of 106 episodes featuring the first two actors to play the Doctor, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, are currently missing.

The BBC destroyed many of the sci-fi drama's original transmission tapes in the 1960s and 1970s.

However, the majority of the episodes had been transferred on to film for foreign broadcasters. It is often these prints found in other countries that are the source of retrieved episodes.

I am so excited! This has been rumoured for a while, but this is the first official word on the matter. No idea how many missing episodes have been recovered, but the prospect of watching some "new" Hartnell and Troughton episodes is amazing!!!! :yay:

Holy Sh!t!!! :o

A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.

BBC Worldwide is expected to confirm the find at a press screening in London later this week.

It follows weeks of speculation that some lost episodes had been located.

A total of 106 episodes featuring the first two actors to play the Doctor, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, are currently missing.

The BBC destroyed many of the sci-fi drama's original transmission tapes in the 1960s and 1970s.

However, the majority of the episodes had been transferred on to film for foreign broadcasters. It is often these prints found in other countries that are the source of retrieved episodes.

I am so excited! This has been rumoured for a while, but this is the first official word on the matter. No idea how many missing episodes have been recovered, but the prospect of watching some "new" Hartnell and Troughton episodes is amazing!!!! :yay:

:o OMFG!!! new Hartnell??? :drool: This is fantastic news!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

No Hartnell yet, I'm afraid. But since Troughton suffered the most loss of episodes (and he's my second favourite Doctor) I'm really excited by the find.

What we now have is:

Episodes 1,2,4,5 & 6 of Enemy of the World (part 3 already exists in the archive, so this is now a complete story :yay: )

Episedes 2, 4, 5 & 6 of The Web of Fear (part 1 already exists in the archive, so we are now only missing part 3)

Enemy of the World is notable because Patrick Troughton also plays the villain of the story. It is also directed by Barry Letts, who went on to produce the Jon Pertwee era. It's such a shame that Letts is no longer alive to watch his episodes again, because I remember in an interview on one of the DVDs, he said how sad he was that from a 6 part story, full of action and adventure, the only surviving episode was the one with all the boring stuff in the kitchen. I'm sure he'd be happy to know that now fans will be able to watch the story as a whole.

The Web of Fear follows straight on from Enemy (there's even a cliffhanger linking them). This story has always been considered a fan favourite, so we'll be able to see if it lives up to that. Featuring the Yeti and the Great Intelligence (which has recently returned to New-Who this last year - almost as if Moffat knew)...but most exciting of all, the first appearance of Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (although as a Colonel at the time)

There are still rumours that there may be more where that came from, but nine new lost episodes is nothing to sniff at. It was a few months ago that I first heard the rumours of the BBC receiving a load of film cans from Nigeria, and it was Web and Enemy that were rumoured at the time, but so was Hartnell's Marco Polo...so if the other two were true, maybe we might see Marco Polo in the near future.

Speaking of William Hartnell...I just got Hartnell's last story, The Tenth Planet, which was released yesterday on DVD. The missing episode 4 has been animated.

One big piece of news for the DVD is a William Hartnell interview that has recently been discovered. It's the only known interview on film to exist with him, and it's from just after he left Doctor Who, while he was doing a bit of panto. Looking forward to watching that, to get a glimpse of what the real man was like.

• Like 1

I new that for my birthday, my brother was getting me "The Light at the End", the 50th anniversary Audio adventure, featuring Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Slyvester McCoy and Paul McGann all teaming up...as well as a host of companions.

I was just expecting the standard 2 disc edition, with just the story...but he got me the expensive, limited edition, 5 disc, loads of extra stuff, with a big book, edition. Wow!...Limited Edition, number 401 of 10,000

http://www.bigfinish.com/img/release/bfpdw50deluxe-packshot-sml1_cover_large.jpg

The story was clever and great, and all the Doctors got plenty to do. The highlight being Tom and Paul, who were teamed up for most of the story, and who bounce of each other amazingly well.

• Like 1

I new that for my birthday, my brother was getting me "The Light at the End", the 50th anniversary Audio adventure, featuring Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Slyvester McCoy and Paul McGann all teaming up...as well as a host of companions.

I was just expecting the standard 2 disc edition, with just the story...but he got me the expensive, limited edition, 5 disc, loads of extra stuff, with a big book, edition. Wow!...Limited Edition, number 401 of 10,000

http://www.bigfinish.com/img/release/bfpdw50deluxe-packshot-sml1_cover_large.jpg

The story was clever and great, and all the Doctors got plenty to do. The highlight being Tom and Paul, who were teamed up for most of the story, and who bounce of each other amazingly well.

:clap: :notworthy: :ebert: Holy Sonic Screwdrivers! That's impressive! :ebert: :notworthy: :clap:

Aw yeah! Now this is what I'm talking about!!! New Doctor Who minisode released

Holy $#!%

Paul mother-flipping McGann!!! Playing the Doctor on screen!!

Regenerating into a young John Hurt!!!

An appearance by the Sisterhood of Karn (from Tom Baker story The Brain of Morbius)

This was great! I just wish it was longer.

• Like 3

Aw yeah! Now this is what I'm talking about!!! New Doctor Who minisode released

Holy $#!%

Paul mother-flipping McGann!!! Playing the Doctor on screen!!

Regenerating into a young John Hurt!!!

An appearance by the Sisterhood of Karn (from Tom Baker story The Brain of Morbius)

This was great! I just wish it was longer.

Dang! I was just about to post a link to this! You beat me to it!!

• Like 2