Guilty Pleasure Rush song!

losingit2k

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 30 2010, 10:30 PM)
Neurotica

Hey that song is in my top ten fave Rush songs of all time (i can hear you all laughing lol).

Before i went out today i was going to post my guilty song and thought - no its too bad. I'll see if anyone else mentions it first - to my amazement i see there are quite a few of you out there that also secretly likes Superconductor!!!!!!

blush4.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 31 2010, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 31 2010, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (x_analog_kid_x @ Jul 31 2010, 03:12 AM)
...Red Lenses.
Don't kill me!
I cant stop listening to it...

i always dug that song. i love love love the huge guitar sound on that song.

ps: haters- go listen to it!

Geddy kicks serious @ss on that song!

cool.gif

That song seriously has some of Gedd's best basswork. And the drumming is simply addictive. Probably one of the songs I like more on P/G (and I love the whole album).

QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Jul 31 2010, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 31 2010, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 31 2010, 08:04 AM)
...Red Lenses.
Don't kill me!

Geddy kicks serious @ss on that song!

cool.gif

That song seriously has some of Gedd's best basswork. And the drumming is simply addictive. Probably one of the songs I like more on P/G (and I love the whole album).

Totally agree. The fade out at the end of Red Lenses is one of my favorite parts of Ged's. That groove he busts into is classic.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 31 2010, 05:27 PM)
the greatest song ever recorded. ANAGRAM! 1022.gif

For me Mongo lol 2.gif 2.gif

For Me, my guilty pleasure is to listen to all of their instrumentals!!! I have all of their cd's and made my own cd with just all of their intrumentals!!! 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (mong82191 @ Jul 31 2010, 08:14 PM)

Why did they make Anagram for Mongo anyway?

Mongo is a planet in the Flash Gordon universe. Why the hell would they make Anagram for that?

Rush is a very strange band. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Jul 31 2010, 07:55 PM)

Mongo is a planet in the Flash Gordon universe. Why the hell would they make Anagram for that?

It's taken from a Mel Brooks movie, Blazing Saddles. The main character presents another character, Mongo, a big, brute-like idiot, with a candygram to distract him from terrorizing the people in the town. When presenting it, the main character repeatedly says "Candygram for Mongo!", hence the title of the song. I always found that funny.

QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Jul 31 2010, 09:59 PM)

It's taken from a Mel Brooks movie, Blazing Saddles. The main character presents another character, Mongo, a big, brute-like idiot, with a candygram to distract him from terrorizing the people in the town. When presenting it, the main character repeatedly says "Candygram for Mongo!", hence the title of the song. I always found that funny.

No shit. I never knew that. I remember that character from Blazing Saddles too. Never made the connection. Thanks dude!

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Jul 31 2010, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Jul 31 2010, 09:59 PM)

No shit. I never knew that. I remember that character from Blazing Saddles too. Never made the connection. Thanks dude!

Notta problem! laugh.gif I love little tidbits of info like that.

I used to think it was "losing it" until I found out that apparently other people liked it too. I suppose the songs I love that are most hated are

Tears

RtB (the whole album, rap and all)

HYF (the whole album including Tai Shan and High Water)

The Larger Bowl

Scars

High Water and (gulp) The Big Wheel. (Hangs head in shame).

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 31 2010, 09:04 AM)
...Red Lenses.
Don't kill me!

There is some incredible drumming on Red Lenses. No shame in liking it (though it took me 25 years to go from hate to love).

Proudly MADRIGAL

When the dragons grow too mighty

To slay with pen or sword

I grow weary of the battle

And the storm I walk toward

When all around is madness

And there's no safe port in view

I long to turn my path homeward

To stop a while with you

When life becomes as barren

And as cold as winter skies

There's a beacon in the darkness

In a distant pair of eyes

In vain to search for honor

In vain to search for truth

But these things can still be given

Your love has shown me proof

Young and ambitious

Over booked and underslept

Had to fight for everything from plumbing in a dressing room IF you got one to keeping the drunks from stomping your expensive equipment before you got on stage.

Lousy weather, lousy food, rumbling gut, sore throats and vehicular failure.

Words failed and sometimes it looked like it was going to turn to fists to get what was right there in writing.

There's no honor in the music business... but there are a lot of f'n salesmen.

Yeah, we are big boys now, REAL musicians...

but it sure would be nice to be home with loving arms around you for just a little while.

Neil can make even road-rage despair sound pretty.

"Here Again" - cannot get that tune out of my head and so many overlook the greatness of their first album. "Working Man" is what most will remember from their debut. Of course "In the Mood" was an encore tune for many years.

2.gif

My guilty pleasure Rush song is You Bet Your Life. Fantastic song. Truly underrated and gets bashed relentlessly. Another one would be Tai Shan. Even though many fans don't like it -- hell even Geddy said he didn't like it! -- I like it. Very good song, just a deviation from their usual style. But hey, everybody's got to deviate/elevate/evelate/emancipate from the norm. cool.gif

Red Lenses. It didn't even take me a few listens, I liked it straight away. It is a little bit out of place on GUP, though.

I am gonna throw Tai Shan out there too. I have always liked the song and had no idea so many RUSH fans were down on it. It is very well done and I can almost see in my minds eye, the landscape reaching to the eastern sea...that in my book makes it a great song. It is "different" though.

wink.gif

I LOVE High Water. Easily one of my faves offa HYF. Honestly, there isn't much Rush material that I don't like. I love every minute of Roll The Bones and their other 90's material. Not because it's Rush and I have to accept every little thing they put out. Far from it. Every album they put out I can connect with, but in a completely different way than the next. Another testiment to the versitility and greatness of Rush.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Archived