A Special Song for me (**** tour spoiler ******)

lerxt1990

This song had some meaning to me when it came out. But now, middle aged, with friends gowing older, some who have died, kids of my own and other growing older, time passing , parents of friends passing away, time going by, this song has 100x the meaning it had when it came out.

Given my age (two score and change as I always say) its amazing how this song wnet from meaningful to f-cking autobiographical.

Just thought Id share smile.gif

Edited by lerxt1990

I can't claim to have it affect me the way it affects you, but it's very, very meaningful to me.

edit: SPOILER IN POST BELOW THIS... it's unintentional though.

Edited by Xanadu93

Time Stand Still and Subdivisions kick me right in the gut. Subdivisions is a song I love, but reminds me of a painful, awkward adolescence - one that at the time I felt they were exactly writing about when the song came out - the profound effect that song had on me (holy crap do I relate to this song!!!!!!!!) started me on my enjoyment of Rush. These experiences are not limited to Rush of course, but these two songs hit me right in the gut. Love it. And so happy Ill hear both this tour!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 17 2010, 08:44 PM)
Time Stand Still and Subdivisions kick me right in the gut.  Subdivisions is a song I love, but reminds me of a painful, awkward adolescence - one that at the time I felt they were exactly writing about when the song came out - the profound effect that song had on me (holy crap do I relate to this song!!!!!!!!) started me on my enjoyment of Rush.  These experiences are not limited to Rush of course, but these two songs hit me right in the gut.  Love it.  And so happy Ill hear both this tour!

Spoiler dude!

Edited by GrandDesigner

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 17 2010, 04:20 PM)
This song had some meaning to me when it came out.  But now, middle aged, with friends gowing older, some who have died, kids of my own and other growing older, time passing , parents of friends passing away, time going by, this song has 100x the meaning it had when it came out.

Given my age (two score and change as I always say) its amazing how this song wnet from meaningful to f-cking autobiographical.

I have alway's loved this tune. biggrin.gif It has a deep effect on me. The lyrics are beautiful. 653.gif old.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 17 2010, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 17 2010, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 17 2010, 10:44 PM)
banghead.gif

I would have really liked to have that surprise at the gig. tongue.gif

whoops. my bad.

Slacker eyesre4.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif

MEA CULPA!

I've always liked the song a lot myself. You're right that as time goes by and you get a bit older it means more. I'm not that old yet (I turn 32 next month) but it definitely has a more meaning to me now than it did when I first got into Rush back when I was 14.

Given the effect it seems to have on all of us to hear it again now that we are a bit older, I wonder what effect it has on them. Especially Neil after all that has happened to him in the past few decades.

MAKE EACH IMPRESSION

A LITTLE BIT STRONGER

FREEZE THIS MOTION

A LITTLE BIT LONGER

THE INNOCENCE SLIPS AWAY....

TIME STAND STILL

I first heard this song when I was 23 yrs. old....I am 46 yrs. old now.

A very special song on many different levels.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 17 2010, 09:20 PM)
This song had some meaning to me when it came out. But now, middle aged, with friends gowing older, some who have died, kids of my own and other growing older, time passing , parents of friends passing away, time going by, this song has 100x the meaning it had when it came out.

I'm glad you shared. I was loving this song when I was 17 and could barely relate.

Now, with every passing year I grow older, it provides more and more meaning and gets better every time I hear it.

I totally get where you're coming from dude. One of their best songs for sure.

Just listened to HYF last night, I reckon it's one of their best LPs. I was thinking the exact same thing, NOW I get it. I remember waiting for the record store to open to buy HYF (as an 11 year old) and loved this tune immediately. It resonates on a completely different level now that I'm in my 30s and the passing of time seems so fleeting at this age.

It just goes to show you how brilliant and unpretentious Neil's lyrics can be, considering over the decades that the meaning of this song grew more personal to several of the posters on this topic.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 18 2010, 01:32 PM)
I've always liked the song a lot myself. You're right that as time goes by and you get a bit older it means more. I'm not that old yet (I turn 32 next month) but it definitely has a more meaning to me now than it did when I first got into Rush back when I was 14.

Yeah, I didn't care for the song as much when I was 14.

Now that I am 32, seeing friends and family get older, it's just deeply emotional.

So unlike pop songs that mean something today, and become meaningless tomorrow. 'Time stand still' will be even more meaningful tomorrow as it was today..

I can completely relate on the emotional part with Rush's music.

As I grow older, the lyrics just seem to be more true about just the way life unfolds in general. Available Light is one song that I've been can relate to, especially in the last 10 years when it comes to family problems, etc. I'm not afraid to admit, that I am very fragile and delicate state of mind when I hear this track.

Other songs whose meaning changed a lot over the years and I can directly relate to and made me feel rather moody - The Analog Kid and Mystic Rhythms.

There are very few, upbeat party-type songs in Rush's music as their career progressed and the overall serious nature tone of the songs makes them that much more special.