Looking for Vapor Trails + Counterparts on vinyl

gabpower

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post request (I did not find any "marketplace" category) but I'm looking for Vapor Trails and Counterparts on vinyl record so if you have one of them that you would be willing to sell than message me back and we'll discuss.

Thanks!

There's one of both on eBay right now. Counterparts is one of the Brazilian copies, but it's a decent price at 79.88, I've seen these go for $100+. Think mine cost $60 a couple of years back.

The VT is currently $96 with 6 bids and almost 3 days left. Wow. Mine cost $30 new......

You might have some luck finding VT on vinyl if you look around enough.

As for CP, you might have a harder time. That is pretty rare.

I have a Russian pressing of CP. Its packaged in heavy stock paper, with no liner notes, etc. Pretty generic, except:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Kozmo4Rush/100_2738.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Kozmo4Rush/100_2736.jpg

The vinyl is in immaculate shape, and sounds awesome. Actually very suprised at the quality. The resonance echoes well through my windows and out into the streets.

Got it off Ebay at the last minute for..........(you will never guess what I paid!....)

$37 (with shipping - from Russia.)

Best of luck with your search.

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Jul 10 2010, 10:45 AM)
You might have some luck finding VT on vinyl if you look around enough.

As for CP, you might have a harder time. That is pretty rare.

I have a Russian pressing of CP. Its packaged in heavy stock paper, with no liner notes, etc. Pretty generic, except:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Kozmo4Rush/100_2738.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Kozmo4Rush/100_2736.jpg

The vinyl is in immaculate shape, and sounds awesome. Actually very suprised at the quality. The resonance echoes well through my windows and out into the streets.

Got it off Ebay at the last minute for..........(you will never guess what I paid!....)

$37 (with shipping - from Russia.)

Best of luck with your search.

Very nice score. I tried to order this on vinyl the day it came out back in the fall of 93 and the guy laughed at me. He asked me why I would rather listen to it on a clearly inferior format. I wish Rush made their stuff available on LP like Pearl Jam did. Vs. came out on the same day and it was on vinyl.

Keep checking EPAY. I got lucky and got VT for $59.00 BIN. I also got Feedback for $20.00. I got S&A for X-Mas. I had to bribe my wife to find out what she paid for S&A $49.99 at my local record store.

RTB, Counterparts and Chronicles are imports and yes they are big bucks!!!!!! Just keep checking the hunt is what makes it fun.

Quick check on Ebay:

VT is there at $399.99!!!!!!!!!!!! Daylight robbery.

Chronicles $169.99!!!! Is the seller Dick Turpin?

A couple of Russian Counterparts, they're pirated copies. One Atlantic Brazilian Counterparts at $120.

S&A at $110......madness.

Those 4 cost me no more than $200 for the lot over the years....

RTB is there for $49.99.

There's a bid on for a Hemispheres picture disc, 16 mins left, currently $6.65....

i have a mint framed copy of counterparts..signed by geddy and alex!! if anyone is interested PM me and we can talk. check myspace page..i know, know, never deleted it. i have my rush collection on it. 1022.gif

QUOTE (gabpower @ Jul 6 2010, 11:13 AM)
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post request (I did not find any "marketplace" category) but I'm looking for Vapor Trails and Counterparts on vinyl record so if you have one of them that you would be willing to sell than message me back and we'll discuss.

Thanks!

Hey everyone! First time poster, but life-long Rush fan, and it was this post that led me to this fine forum, so I thought I'd respond, as I've been trying to complete my Rush Vinyl collection for a few months now.

Counterparts is probably the hardest of the Rush vinyl to find. I've yet to find a US press, as sites like Discogs and Music Stax don't even list a US press. That said, the best press of Counterparts is said to be the one from West Germany (the two Germany's hadn't yet unified when CP was released, and I should know, because I was there ;-) There are also some Russian presses (mentioned here) that supposedly vary considerably in quality. Although, after hearing the comments here, I'm very tempted to snag a Russian copy just to hear what it sounds like. The South American presses are unknown quantities as well, as finding reviews on them is pretty difficult. If you just want them for the sake of having them on vinyl, then just go for the South American or Russian presses. If you want the best sonic quality, I'd wait it out for a German press. Be prepared to pay some serious cash, though.

Vapor Trails is easier to find, but you'll pay through the nose for it. I paid $200 for my copy just a week or so ago, and consider myself "lucky" because it was a sealed copy. Now that it's arrived, I'm afraid to open the damn thing!

I've also recently snagged a sealed copy of Snakes and Arrows (probably the best Rush album in 20 years, IMHO) for a measly C-note. The packaging is truly top-notch, and the sonic quality obliterates anything digital (Not a troll comment, just my own opinion having listened to it just last night).

All is not lost, however. There have been rumors for YEARS that Counterparts, Roll The Bones, Test for Echo (never released on vinyl, regardless of what anyone says), and Vapor Trails are to be remastered and re-issued this year, in conjunction with the release of "Clockwork Angels" after Rush completes their tour. This has been a rumor for so long, you have to start wondering if it's true. Alex Lifeson mentioned it in an interview back in 2007 or 2008, and it's been repeated among vinyl circles ever since.

VT has been the topic of many remastering rumors, as all the issued recordings suffer from serious distortion. Even the CD, played on an audiophile transport with a respectable DAC, can't escape the clipping clearly evident throughout the recording.

So, be on the lookout for even the mere mention of Rush re-issues on vinyl this spring.

For anyone curious, I'm still looking for Roll the Bones, and of course, Counterparts on vinyl. I'm at an age where disposable income isn't a problem, so if you have some nice Rush vinyl you's like to part with, PM me anytime.

Lastly, a big hearty THANK YOU to the folks who run this forum. We Rush Fans are spread pretty thin nowadays, and I'm really looking forward to sharing opinions with others who consider Rush the greatest band in the history of music.

2.gif

QUOTE (ToeCutter @ Jan 22 2011, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (gabpower @ Jul 6 2010, 11:13 AM)

Thanks!

Hey everyone! First time poster, but life-long Rush fan, and it was this post that led me to this fine forum, so I thought I'd respond, as I've been trying to complete my Rush Vinyl collection for a few months now.

Counterparts is probably the hardest of the Rush vinyl to find. I've yet to find a US press, as sites like Discogs and Music Stax don't even list a US press. That said, the best press of Counterparts is said to be the one from West Germany (the two Germany's hadn't yet unified when CP was released, and I should know, because I was there ;-) There are also some Russian presses (mentioned here) that supposedly vary considerably in quality. Although, after hearing the comments here, I'm very tempted to snag a Russian copy just to hear what it sounds like. The South American presses are unknown quantities as well, as finding reviews on them is pretty difficult. If you just want them for the sake of having them on vinyl, then just go for the South American or Russian presses. If you want the best sonic quality, I'd wait it out for a German press. Be prepared to pay some serious cash, though.

Vapor Trails is easier to find, but you'll pay through the nose for it. I paid $200 for my copy just a week or so ago, and consider myself "lucky" because it was a sealed copy. Now that it's arrived, I'm afraid to open the damn thing!

I've also recently snagged a sealed copy of Snakes and Arrows (probably the best Rush album in 20 years, IMHO) for a measly C-note. The packaging is truly top-notch, and the sonic quality obliterates anything digital (Not a troll comment, just my own opinion having listened to it just last night).

All is not lost, however. There have been rumors for YEARS that Counterparts, Roll The Bones, Test for Echo (never released on vinyl, regardless of what anyone says), and Vapor Trails are to be remastered and re-issued this year, in conjunction with the release of "Clockwork Angels" after Rush completes their tour. This has been a rumor for so long, you have to start wondering if it's true. Alex Lifeson mentioned it in an interview back in 2007 or 2008, and it's been repeated among vinyl circles ever since.

VT has been the topic of many remastering rumors, as all the issued recordings suffer from serious distortion. Even the CD, played on an audiophile transport with a respectable DAC, can't escape the clipping clearly evident throughout the recording.

So, be on the lookout for even the mere mention of Rush re-issues on vinyl this spring.

For anyone curious, I'm still looking for Roll the Bones, and of course, Counterparts on vinyl. I'm at an age where disposable income isn't a problem, so if you have some nice Rush vinyl you's like to part with, PM me anytime.

Lastly, a big hearty THANK YOU to the folks who run this forum. We Rush Fans are spread pretty thin nowadays, and I'm really looking forward to sharing opinions with others who consider Rush the greatest band in the history of music.

2.gif

Chronicles, Roll the Bones and Counterparts never saw a U.S. release.

For what it's worth, the Rush Through Time compilation wasn't released in the US either.

I was fortunate to pick up German copies of Roll The Bones and Counterparts at the time of release. I think my copy of Chronicles was pressed in the U.K.

I just snagged a nm copy of Vapor Trails on vinyl for...wait for it...$25. I was at a record show and bought VT along with Bowie's Heathen on vinyl for $20.

Also got:

Steely Dan's Countdown To Ecstasy, Gaucho, Greatest Hits (all in great shape and original pressings)

Passport - Sky Blue

Those cost me another 25 or so.

Still debating if I want to go to another record show tomorrow...

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 13 2011, 03:18 PM)
I just snagged a nm copy of Vapor Trails on vinyl for...wait for it...$25. I was at a record show and bought VT along with Bowie's Heathen on vinyl for $20.

Also got:

Steely Dan's Countdown To Ecstasy, Gaucho, Greatest Hits (all in great shape and original pressings)

Passport - Sky Blue

Damn!

You find that at Second Saturday?

I was planning on going to that but something came up that I had to deal with.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 13 2011, 01:18 PM)

Also got:

Passport - Sky Blue

Great taste :'D Steely Dan & Passport! wub.gif

QUOTE (ytserush @ Aug 16 2011, 11:44 PM)

Also got:

Passport - Sky Blue

Damn!

Yup, second Saturday in Wayne, NJ. I was gonna go to a show in Lancaster, PA the next day, but decided driving 2 hours to Wayne and back was enough for the weekend.

I honestly wasn't all that impressed with the show. I got lucky with the Rush and Bowie albums, but other than that, there weren't too many treats. I'm mainly looking for newer (late 80s-90s) vinyl and imports these days, and that show had almost none of that.

Btw Necromancer, I love Steely Dan, and just starting to get into Passport. My dad overheard me listening to Ozric Tentacles and recommended Doldinger and Co.

As for the Dan, I just saw them a few weeks ago up at Tanglewood and they were great! Going up to the Beacon in NYC to see their Rarities/B-sides show and also the Royal Scam show.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 17 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (ytserush @ Aug 16 2011, 11:44 PM)

Also got:

Passport - Sky Blue

Damn!

Yup, second Saturday in Wayne, NJ. I was gonna go to a show in Lancaster, PA the next day, but decided driving 2 hours to Wayne and back was enough for the weekend.

I honestly wasn't all that impressed with the show. I got lucky with the Rush and Bowie albums, but other than that, there weren't too many treats. I'm mainly looking for newer (late 80s-90s) vinyl and imports these days, and that show had almost none of that.

Btw Necromancer, I love Steely Dan, and just starting to get into Passport. My dad overheard me listening to Ozric Tentacles and recommended Doldinger and Co.

As for the Dan, I just saw them a few weeks ago up at Tanglewood and they were great! Going up to the Beacon in NYC to see their Rarities/B-sides show and also the Royal Scam show.

Been meaning to go to Lancaster too, but it's farther than Wayne so I haven't gotten there yet.

Record shows (like independent record stores) sure aren't what they used to be. The haystacks to find those needles in are fewer and farther between.

The imports have pretty much dried up too.

Also, You also used to be able to get albums long before they came out, but those days are long gone too.

Still, Second Saturday is a fun way to spend a few hours whenever you can manage it.