Questions about rare footage in the doc

oldphilly

Ok,so I just watched Beyond the Lighted Stage for the first time this evening.First off let me just say how incredible it was.Man,this thing flew by.I was captivated by the whole thing.So many thoughts and feelings abound.I swear it was over in a flash.

So,in regards to the early live footage w/Rutsey.What the heck was the song they were playing at that high school performance? It's not something that has ever been circulated in the past.Totally new to me and has not been mentioned in any posts on this forum.What is it?

Also,we were treated to full color live pro-shot footage from what appears to be from the FTK tour.I'm shocked this hasn't been brought up recently.This absolutely has not been circulated among collectors in the past.Is this the rumoured Passaic,NJ show?I hate to be a whiner,but it kills me to think there is a whole show from this era in the vaults.

I DEMAND ANSWERS lol tongue.gif

Where are the know-it-alls when you need them? biggrin.gif

Anyway,I'll be watching this over and over in the next few weeks.I won't be able to sleep tonite.Man that doc was stellar.

So,in regards to the early live footage w/Rutsey.What the heck was the song they were playing at that high school performance? It's not something that has ever been circulated in the past.Totally new to me and has not been mentioned in any posts on this forum.What is it?

They played parts of "Garden Road" and "Fancy Dancer" during that segment. I think it's "Fancy Dancer" you're talking about.

Fancy Dancer:

Garden Road:

Yeah, the high school gig video footage was sweet.

Too bad they didn't have Neil's audition on tape, that would be monster.

Could have gone without seeing the Time Stands Still video, argg...forgot just how bad that was....floating Rush...wtf..

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 26 2010, 11:30 PM)

They played parts of "Garden Road" and "Fancy Dancer" during that segment.

Well,my ears have failed me.I'll have to listen more closely next time.It did not sound familiar to me,then again I don't know Fancy Dancer note for note like other tunes.Thanks.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 26 2010, 11:40 PM)

Well,my ears have failed me.I'll have to listen more closely next time.It did not sound familiar to me,then again I don't know Fancy Dancer note for note like other tunes.Thanks.

I'm watching it again now, and there's a song I can't identify. You're right: what the hell is that???

WTF was that J.R. Flood song they were playing that featured Neil pre-Rush? It was awesome. Is that entire track available anywhere in any form?

Yeah, they go into a jazzy free-form psychedelic thing, eh? Just your thing! I don't think that's available.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2010, 12:38 AM)
WTF was that J.R. Flood song they were playing that featured Neil pre-Rush? It was awesome. Is that entire track available anywhere in any form?

Man,I was thinking the same thing.Sounded like some killer vintage UK style prog.Really cool.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 27 2010, 12:43 AM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 26 2010, 11:40 PM)

I'm watching it again now, and there's a song I can't identify. You're right: what the hell is that???

Yeah, they go into a jazzy free-form psychedelic thing, eh? Just your thing! I don't think that's available.

Yup,it's not Garden Road or Fancy Dancer.wtf? So they played this mystery tune,Best I Can and Working Man? Killer.I can't even express how awesome this doc is.Can't wait for the DVD to check out the extras.

I swear this doc could've been 10 hrs long and it still wouldn't be enough. wacko.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 27 2010, 12:39 AM)
Yeah, the high school gig video footage was sweet.

Too bad they didn't have Neil's audition on tape, that would be monster.

Could have gone without seeing the Time Stands Still video, argg...forgot just how bad that was....floating Rush...wtf..

Don't leave out Aimee Mann's hairstyle that looks like it has a whole can of Aqua Net on it. Horrible.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 10:38 PM)

There is a documentary that came out last year about the history of the 1964 - 1974 Niagara rock music scene called 'The Big Story Of Small Potatoes'.

The film makes reference to several bands that Neil played in which includes JR Flood - which has their song 'Giant Killer' (which Neil played on) that is included on the soundtrack. This is confirmed by director Paul Miil. While it's not the entire song, it is enough to get an idea of what their sound was like.

Neil was not interviewed for the documentary.

Paul Miil commented on Rushisaband that Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen approached him for some Neil related footage from way back then.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jun 27 2010, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 10:38 PM)
WTF was that J.R. Flood song they were playing that featured Neil pre-Rush?  It was awesome.  Is that entire track available anywhere in any form?

There is a documentary that came out last year about the history of the 1964 - 1974 Niagara rock music scene called 'The Big Story Of Small Potatoes'.

The film makes reference to several bands that Neil played in which includes JR Flood - which has their song 'Giant Killer' (which Neil played on) that is included on the soundtrack. This is confirmed by director Paul Miil. While it's not the entire song, it is enough to get an idea of what their sound was like.

Neil was not interviewed for the documentary.

Paul Miil commented on Rushisaband that Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen approached him for some Neil related footage from way back then.

It's a shame that song isn't available as the section I heard of it was GREAT, and the sound quality sounded pretty awesome as well...

There are two songs; they are NOT "Not Fade Away", "You Can't Fight It", "Garden Road", "Fancy Dancer", or "Bad Boy". The first is played during their high school show, and I think it's listed in the credits, but I couldn't tell what it said. The other is that J.R. Flood song that sounds awesome. If that one song is in that kind of condition, then I hope that there are more recordings.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2010, 09:55 AM)
There wasn't one Rush song in there I hadn't heard before somewhere.

The one from the dance? Unless it's a reworked version of one of those early songs I've never heard it.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 27 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2010, 08:55 AM)

Then please tell us what song was played at the high school.

I'll have to see it again (Tuesday) to figure out what song it was.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2010, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 27 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2010, 08:55 AM)

Then please tell us what song was played at the high school.

I'll have to see it again (Tuesday) to figure out what song it was.

Cool,I'll probably watch it again today and try to catch the credits.Now I really wanna know about that live FTK footage.That had me salivating!

I'd like to know about that old footage too, but sadly, the existence of some bits of footage from a concert that took place thirty-plus years ago does not in any way automatically indicate that there is an entire show in the vaults. It cannot be assumed that the entire show was filmed, and even if it was, it further cannot be assumed that all the footage was preserved.

I'd love it as much as the next guy if more high-quality pro-shot 70s Rush footage surfaced. I think it's unlikely but how great would it be if I was wrong!

i was really intrigued by that song too and after the second viewing i kept humming the part in my head. they were talking over that part, right? it was tough, but the song is finding my way. they showed neil going off on the toms, right?

Am I the only one that would have liked to see more than 5 seconds of FTK era live footage? It appears to have been shot on film with multiple camera angles.Boggles the mind.This isn't on the DVD extras, yet previously available footage is.Go figure.

I know I'm whining and complaining,but I can't be the only one feeling this frustration.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 27 2010, 09:52 PM)
Am I the only one that would have liked to see more than 5 seconds of FTK era live footage?

No, not at all. laugh.gif

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 27 2010, 08:52 PM)
Am I the only one that would have liked to see more than 5 seconds of FTK era live footage? It appears to have been shot on film with multiple camera angles.Boggles the mind.This isn't on the DVD extras, yet previously available footage is.Go figure.

I know I'm whining and complaining,but I can't be the only one feeling this frustration.

Took me about five viewings for me to spot this.

More of this HAS to exist. I doubt a lot of work went into to restoration that they would only find only a few seconds worthy of being used.

They used the 8mm footage and we know there's more of that out there.

Archived