Inappropriate laughter during films

Mara

Reason for this thread - my husband recently pulled out his VHS copy of "The Champ", the classic movie with Jon Voight, Faye Dunaway, and yes, Ricky Schroeder. It almost always makes the top ten list whenever anyone's talking about tearjerker films.

The first time I saw it I was 11 or so. It was in the theater, and yes, I bawled my eyes out.

In all subsequent viewings, however, I cannot. Stop. Laughing during the two scenes in the movie when a giggle-fit could not be more inappropriate. (Jailhouse scene and final scene). We are talking full-on breathless laughter here.

Am I the only sick and twisted person who has this reaction? My husband thinks I am. . .

I also have watched the last half of "Love Story" a couple of times and I have the same response, but I think that's only because it's so goddamn cheesy and Ali McGraw is such a crappy actress.

I've not seen either film. I never liked "Ricky" Shroeder, as a child or man.

Mara, what is going on that is supposed to be serious?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 25 2010, 10:43 AM)

You can probably YouTube the final scene.

Voight comes out of retirement for one final boxing match. He wins, but his body gives out and he dies on the trainer's table. Ricky Schroeder as his son keeps poking at him, tugging his hands, saying, "Champ, wake up! Time to go home now! Wake up, Champ!" Very heartfelt and very tearjerker-ish in the first viewing.

And according to me, at least, extremely funny every time after that.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jun 25 2010, 04:02 PM)
Oh that's nothing just that your soul has blackened and your heart has turned as hard as stone..

1022.gif

Yeah. Nothing funnier than a kid's dad dying right in front of him.

tongue.gif

I would expect nothing less from a goddess of death but laughter at a poor kids tears.

Horror movies and slasher films tend to make me burst into laughter at the theatre... or cheer on the killer for more BLOOOOD!!!

Bad movies trying to be serious make me laugh too. I remember watching Catwoman with my friend when it was in the theatre.... bloody awful film. Anyways... the scene where the cat gives her CPR, we both totally lost it. People were telling us to shut up. laugh.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 25 2010, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jun 25 2010, 04:02 PM)
Oh that's nothing just that your soul has blackened and your heart has turned as hard as stone..

1022.gif

Yeah. Nothing funnier than a kid's dad dying right in front of him.

tongue.gif

I would expect nothing less from a goddess of death but laughter at a poor kids tears.

Hey, I cried like a baby the first time I saw it! I can't explain why subsequent viewing produced the opposite reaction. confused13.gif

And YBT, I took a Japanese History class in college. We watched film footage of someone committing hara-kiri - and it was NOT a staged reenactment either. The whole class pretty much responded with a fit of nervous laughter.

This thread reminds me of the scene in Naked Gun where Leslie Neilson and Lisa Presley come out of the theater, arm in arm, laughing heartily.... as they walk down the street, the shot reveals they just came from seeing Platoon.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:02 PM)
This thread reminds me of the scene in Naked Gun where Leslie Neilson and Lisa Presley come out of the theater, arm in arm, laughing heartily.... as they walk down the street, the shot reveals they just came from seeing Platoon.

laugh.gif that's what i was thinking too.

the "oh god!!! oh god !!! what's in the box?!!" brad pitt scene in 7 was bad...it felt more like a lampoon than him portraying distress & desperation. i wanted to laugh but was too busy thinking, "damn, he sucks"

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 26 2010, 06:47 AM)
the "oh god!!! oh god !!! what's in the box?!!" brad pitt scene in 7 was bad...it felt more like a lampoon than him portraying distress & desperation. i wanted to laugh but was too busy thinking, "damn, he sucks"

Me and my friends actually have a running joke. "What's in the box? What's in the box?" from that scene. laugh.gif

It might be nervous fits of laughter... I know I laugh sometimes when I look at morgue photos. For some reason I have always found corpses to be funny looking... they look like they are smirking at a joke the rest of us doesn't get. I know thats just rigor mortis but still...

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 25 2010, 11:12 AM)

Voight comes out of retirement for one final boxing match. He wins, but his body gives out and he dies on the trainer's table. Ricky Schroeder as his son keeps poking at him, tugging his hands, saying, "Champ, wake up! Time to go home now! Wake up, Champ!" Very heartfelt and very tearjerker-ish in the first viewing.

just READING the account of it I want to cry all over again! sad.gif

I wanted to defend you on how it probably seems cheesy to you now, but when you described the last scene it became crystal clear in my mind...and it still tugs my heart!

Sorry Mara, you are, evidently, twisted

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 26 2010, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 25 2010, 11:12 AM)

just READING the account of it I want to cry all over again! sad.gif

I wanted to defend you on how it probably seems cheesy to you now, but when you described the last scene it became crystal clear in my mind...and it still tugs my heart!

Sorry Mara, you are, evidently, twisted

I've known for a long time that I'm twisted! laugh.gif

No worries, though. I don't laugh at real - life somber situations, even out of nervousness. So there's a shred of normalcy in there somewhere!

I've not actually seen The champ so I can't comment on those particular scenes.

However, I do remember going to see Silence of the Lambs with a friend and having her being quite irritated at me sniggering all the way through the film. nothing to do with the acting or anything, I honestly found it very amusing and came out of the cionema thinking I had watched a black comedy.

What does that say about me?

On the other hand, Alfred Hitchcock intended Psycho to be a black comedy as well so I could be in good company there.

The Exorcist II, The Heretic has some unintentional comedy in it. Seeing Richard Burton riding the back of a giant locust was kinda hilarious.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 26 2010, 03:11 PM)
The Exorcist II, The Heretic has some unintentional comedy in it. Seeing Richard Burton riding the back of a giant locust was kinda hilarious.

Sometimes I feel like Beetlejuice when it comes to the Exorcist. "I've seen the Exorcist about 167 times and it keeps getting funnier every time I see it!" Cause ya... that's me. I just laugh and laugh at that movie. laugh.gif