Noob to Rush Touring

Bukaloo

So I have a quick question, does Rush normally play the same setlist at every venue? Or do they switch it up each place they go? I don't have a very big collection of their music, so if I can find the songs out beforehand I would like to make sure and listen to them a couple of times. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (Bukaloo @ Jun 16 2010, 03:47 PM)
So I have a quick question, does Rush normally play the same setlist at every venue? Or do they switch it up each place they go? I don't have a very big collection of their music, so if I can find the songs out beforehand I would like to make sure and listen to them a couple of times. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thanks in advance.

Typically same setlist each and every night. They have been known to offer a couple of A/B songs that are alternated from show to show. They did it on the 07' S&A leg but not on the 08'. They have also done on previous tours, but nothing extreme.

Expect to hear the bulk of the setlist at each venue...if not the exact setlist.

You're the same way as me. I'd prefer to know so I can get prepared and get even MORE excited for the upcoming show.

I've only been to one Rush concert, but they tend to shift certain songs around on a nightly basis, but only during particular timeslots.

For example, in one timeslot:

1. One night they play (a) song

2. The next night they play "b" song (their alternate in place of (a)) in that time slot

3. The next night they play (a) again

4. It repeats like this for no more than a handful of time slots. Every other tiemslot remains unaffected, and they play those songs at EVERY show.

Thta's typically how it goes in terms of Rush's variation. Besides that, don't expect something mindblowing with uniqueness.

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Bukaloo @ Jun 16 2010, 10:34 PM)
Cool, thanks for the responses. Anything else I should be aware of as a first-timer? Do most people sing along or just air drum or what? Really looking forward to it! 1022.gif

If there's room, most people waltz.

That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the info. I have been to a few concerts, but only to bands that my friends wanted to see. Excited to see a band I actually want to go see. I had no idea they do an intermission, very good to know. Thanks again!

QUOTE (Bukaloo @ Jun 16 2010, 10:58 PM)
That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the info. I have been to a few concerts, but only to bands that my friends wanted to see. Excited to see a band I actually want to go see. I had no idea they do an intermission, very good to know. Thanks again!

No problem. Get ready for a pretty fun concert, Rush are one of the best bands you can see in concert. They were my very first concert, and they are exceptionally louder compared to other bands. Let me just say that the drum solo is a really big treat as well. And yes, the intermission is there, which I like as well.

You'll have a blast!

Ditto on that part about the fanbase. I've been to a lot of shows. Some bands have a fanbase full of jackasses. Not Rush. The knucklehead factor will be extremely low. People are there for the music. And you'll see all ages. There will be 10 year olds and there will be guys in their 60's. The guys in their 60's will know every word to every song. Lots of people will know every word to every song, especially the older songs.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 17 2010, 12:41 AM)
Ditto on that part about the fanbase. I've been to a lot of shows. Some bands have a fanbase full of jackasses. Not Rush. The knucklehead factor will be extremely low. People are there for the music. And you'll see all ages. There will be 10 year olds and there will be guys in their 60's. The guys in their 60's will know every word to every song. Lots of people will know every word to every song, especially the older songs.

Yes, all kinds of ages. Thank you for bringing that up too. All ages, genders and ethnicities. There was an older asian couple sitting in front of us who kept standing up and cheering occasionally after a song. I was fascinated by the wide group of people that Rush attract.

Another thing.... with regards to Rush shirts - there'll be lots of 'em. At many other band's concerts, you won't always find everyone there wearing merchandise associated with the band. For the most part, they're there to enjoy some loud live music and have a fun night, but they wear their own personal clothing. At Rush, almost EVERYBODy is wearing a Rush shirt.

Some other dominant shirts I noticed at the show were Led Zeppelin, The Who, and even Metallica shirts.

You can just tell that these people are here for the music, and love each other.

Yeah...Rush fans are the best. They are there for the music and not there to hang out like other concerts. This is a diehard and dedicated bunch.

You rarely see drunken fools or someone getting into a fight. In fact, I've never seen that at a Rush show. There might be some folks seriously impaired but they are non violent and just enjoying the music.

Everyone is just there to witness the greatest band on earth. 1022.gif

I recommend ear plugs. they not only protect your ears, but they make the concert sound better. Some may disagree, but the difference is truly night and day for me AND if for some reason you don't like the sound with the ear plugs in, simply take them out... BUT if you do not bring them, you can not use them to hear the difference for yourself... Enjoy the show!

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 16 2010, 04:02 PM)
I've only been to one Rush concert, but they tend to shift certain songs around on a nightly basis, but only during particular timeslots.

For example, in one timeslot:

1. One night they play (a) song
2. The next night they play "b" song (their alternate in place of (a)) in that time slot
3. The next night they play (a) again

4. It repeats like this for no more than a handful of time slots. Every other tiemslot remains unaffected, and they play those songs at EVERY show.
Thta's typically how it goes in terms of Rush's variation. Besides that, don't expect something mindblowing with uniqueness.

HUH?? It's incredibly rare for Rush to change the set list from night to night. Logistically, it's hard for them to do that. Changes will mainly (and almost exclusively) occur during breaks in the tour. Like between S&A '07 and '08. Those breaks give everyone (crew, techs, AND band) time to change their programming, both physical and mental.

Also, I agree with Star Taker about ear plugs. A pair of Hearos will not only protect your ears, but will also enhance the sound quality and make it more enjoyable. They'll also save you from subsequent hours, or even days of ringing in your ears. I wouldn't be without 'em.

Edited by FOH Lights

QUOTE (Star Taker @ Jun 17 2010, 02:44 AM)
I recommend ear plugs. they not only protect your ears, but they make the concert sound better. Some may disagree, but the difference is truly night and day for me AND if for some reason you don't like the sound with the ear plugs in, simply take them out... BUT if you do not bring them, you can not use them to hear the difference for yourself... Enjoy the show!

This is true. Your ears cannot even hear correctly at those high decibals for that length of time. That's not even mentioning the potential hearing damage.

QUOTE (Bukaloo @ Jun 16 2010, 09:34 PM)
Cool, thanks for the responses. Anything else I should be aware of as a first-timer? Do most people sing along or just air drum or what? Really looking forward to it! 1022.gif

acording to a few folks around here...most people sit in their chairs, and this is the important part: arms folded- save little quiet golf claps- so as not to offend anyone. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 17 2010, 07:25 AM)

This is true. Your ears cannot even hear correctly at those high decibals for that length of time. That's not even mentioning the potential hearing damage.

wtf.gif

you'd have to be in a 8+ hour long rush concert to do permanent damage to your ears. ask an ENT or other dr.

sure your ears get a bit of an ass-whoopin' but remember one of the bands ( 2.gif ) biggest influences is brittains legendary spinal tap "...i just wanna make some ear drums bleed..."

earplugs at a concert is like a blindfold at an art show...or at least really, really dark sunglasses, or a welding mask or something...

maybe we should just have big matresses duct taped to the stage and house speakers! now that would be awesome!!

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 17 2010, 09:12 AM)

wtf.gif

you'd have to be in a 8+ hour long rush concert to do permanent damage to your ears. ask an ENT or other dr.

sure your ears get a bit of an ass-whoopin' but remember one of the bands ( 2.gif ) biggest influences is brittains legendary spinal tap "...i just wanna make some ear drums bleed..."

earplugs at a concert is like a blindfold at an art show...or at least really, really dark sunglasses, or a welding mask or something...

maybe we should just have big matresses duct taped to the stage and house speakers! now that would be awesome!!

Ooooh, to be young & naive again. biggrin.gif

Take it from someone who knows, it doesn't take much to permanently affect your hearing. I've tried to limit my exposure over the years, but still suffer from tinnitus. I used to scoff at the thought of wearing ear protection too. I used to think that you weren't "a hard core rocker" if you wore them... and now I pay the price for it.

Trust me, $14.00 for a good pair of Hearos is the investment of a lifetime. The music models are designed to protect while enhancing the sound, and they truly do work.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 17 2010, 09:37 AM)

wtf.gif

Take it from someone who knows, it doesn't take much to permanently affect your hearing. I've tried to limit my exposure over the years, but still suffer from tinnitus. I used to scoff at the thought of wearing ear protection too. I used to think that you weren't "a hard core rocker" if you wore them... and now I pay the price for it.

Trust me, $14.00 for a good pair of Hearos is the investment of a lifetime. The music models are designed to protect while enhancing the sound, and they truly do work.

sorry about your tinnitus...but the MAJORITY of people will not have hearing loss or other issues without prolonged, continous exposure- not just a bunch of concerts, where your ears have time to recoup- but as i said 8+ hours...thats just a fact. doh.gif try to do a little research on things before you add young and naive...smarty-pants common001.gif

cuz it really makes you the naive on, donnit??

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 17 2010, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 17 2010, 09:37 AM)

wtf.gif

sorry about your tinnitus...but the MAJORITY of people will not have hearing loss or other issues without prolonged, continous exposure- not just a bunch of concerts, where your ears have time to recoup- but as i said 8+ hours...thats just a fact. doh.gif try to do a little research on things before you add young and naive...smarty-pants common001.gif

cuz it really makes you the naive on, donnit??

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts, but they sound a little out of kilter to me. Actually, a lot out of kilter.

No biggie, though. You know what's best for you. Enjoy the show, my friend. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Bukaloo @ Jun 16 2010, 09:34 PM)

Oh hell yeah, I air bass / guitar / drum all of that for every song. Sure you look like an idiot but it's fun just the same. Besides with so many of us doing that kind of stuff the few dudes who're just standing there with their arms crossed all "too cool for school" the whole time look like the real dopes.

In my experience at least.

QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Jun 17 2010, 03:33 PM)
Back to the original topic:

I prefer to find out the setlist in advance, I feel like it helps me enjoy the music more.

Have a great time, its a blast! biggrin.gif

I'm the same way. If I know in advance it seems like I'm able to experience it much better. When I don't know the setlist, time seems to fly much quicker and it's a all blur.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jun 17 2010, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Jun 17 2010, 03:33 PM)
Back to the original topic:

I prefer to find out the setlist in advance, I feel like it helps me enjoy the music more.

Have a great time, its a blast!  biggrin.gif

I'm the same way. If I know in advance it seems like I'm able to experience it much better. When I don't know the setlist, time seems to fly much quicker and it's a all blur.

If I know all of the songs, I'd rather not know the setlist. With Rush, there's that period between Grace Under pressure and Snakes & Arrows where I don't know all the songs. I think I know every word of every song from Fly By Night through Grace, though.