Too Young?

rushman321

QUOTE (rushman321 @ Jun 13 2010, 03:15 PM)
OK, here's the question:

Would you take a three year old to a RUSH concert?

I started listening to RUSH in 81' with Moving Pictures and became a true RUSH geek. Then I took my kids to see their first RUSH concert in 2002 with Vapor Trails. Now, should I take my three year old grandson to the Time Machine Concert? Of course I would make him wear heavy duty ear protection and keep him away from people that are smoking.

What do you think?

eyesre4.gif No!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 14 2010, 07:37 AM)
3 is too young to really appreciate it.
And from a selfish point of view, I don't want to be the fan sitting next to a restless, cranky three year old who is squirming and whining constantly that he wants to go home. (Same applies to guys who bring their girlfriends who hate Rush and engage in the same squirmy, whiny behavior. Don't want to sit next to her either, and I WILL give you dirty looks - at the minimum).

This is another part of what I really wanted to say but didn't..

No way too young.

However I am taking my 5 1/2 year old this October. Now my son is playing drums (has been since 2 years old) we play along to Rush DVD's weekly...he loves music and playing music. He will wear earplugs no doubt. There is a big difference between 5 1/2 years old and a 3 year old...huge difference in fact.

Will he remember it years and years after....probably not...but he will talk about this for a while...no doubt. He has a great vivid memory for a kid his age.

Every child is different. My son has been raised since birth on the music of Rush....he walks around singing and humming their tunes all the time. I know he will have a great time...will it be a slight pain in the ass? Yeah it probably will, I will have to hold him up sometimes (he is light as a feather) and he will probably get real tired after an hour and half in (he is in bed no later than 8:00 - 8:15 every night). But I am feeling good about taking him...he has been asking to go and is very excited for it....and I told him if he gets tired...he sit's in his chair and closes his eyes...and he said he will (my kid will do it that I have little doubt about) I told him we are not leaving till it's over.....unless of course he goes nuts (which I seriously doubt he will).

But I would not try to take a typical 5 year old unless they have been raised on Rock like my son. And he will be 6 1/2 when they roll around in 2011....so this is a nice litmus to see if it is a good idea...and if not...he stays home in 2011.

I have seen Rush so many times I am willing to take the risk for this one show (I am seeing them the night before in Tampa so I will get in one show without my son).

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 14 2010, 12:20 PM)
No way too young.

However I am taking my 5 1/2 year old this October. Now my son is playing drums (has been since 2 years old) we play along to Rush DVD's weekly...he loves music and playing music. He will wear earplugs no doubt. There is a big difference between 5 1/2 years old and a 3 year old...huge difference in fact.

Will he remember it years and years after....probably not...but he will talk about this for a while...no doubt. He has a great vivid memory for a kid his age.

Every child is different. My son has been raised since birth on the music of Rush....he walks around singing and humming their tunes all the time. I know he will have a great time...will it be a slight pain in the ass? Yeah it probably will, I will have to hold him up sometimes (he is light as a feather) and he will probably get real tired after an hour and half in (he is in bed no later than 8:00 - 8:15 every night). But I am feeling good about taking him...he has been asking to go and is very excited for it....and I told him if he gets tired...he sit's in his chair and closes his eyes...and he said he will (my kid will do it that I have little doubt about) I told him we are not leaving till it's over.....unless of course he goes nuts (which I seriously doubt he will).

But I would not try to take a typical 5 year old unless they have been raised on Rock like my son. And he will be 6 1/2 when they roll around in 2011....so this is a nice litmus to see if it is a good idea...and if not...he stays home in 2011.

I have seen Rush so many times I am willing to take the risk for this one show (I am seeing them the night before in Tampa so I will get in one show without my son).

I mentioned this in Rush Cocky's thread on the other board-

PLEASE don't put your child on your shoulders unless you're in the lawn area and can find a good spot to do so. You are guaranteed to make enemies of the people sitting behind you.

Yikes!

I would say only if you had to (no babysitter, etc.). a little too young.

Rush are not the Wiggles.

(and, thank god for that Forumers, could you see Geddy singing, music.gif "Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy" music.gif) GAAA! ohmy.gif

OK, here's the question:

I started listening to RUSH in 81' with Moving Pictures and became a true RUSH geek. Then I took my kids to see their first RUSH concert in 2002 with Vapor Trails. Now, should I take my three year old grandson to the Time Machine Concert? Of course I would make him wear heavy duty ear protection and keep him away from people that are smoking.

What do you think?

Rushman .... send a PM to Skyswing on this board to ask about his experience on taking a young child to a Rush concert.

I can't remember if the little Sky was 4, 5 or 6 when she and big daddy Sky saw Rush in New Orleans during the S&A Tour. I was there, too, though I sat five rows in front of them. I saw them briefly when I was leaving. She looked adorable with those huge ear protectors on her head. From my chat with him a few days later, he said his daughter was well behaved and seemed interested in the music. Because of the change in the show schedule, Momma Sky had to stay home because of work.

Gotta agree that 3 is way too young. Pretty sure the child would not even appreciate the good of what you were trying to do, and there's too much bad that could happen IMO that would not make this a good decision.

As much as I like kids, I can't see a 3yo having the attention span to appreciate a rush concert, let alone any concert. You should also consider how the kid's behavior could affect (possibly ruin) another fans' experience which they paid dearly for. In short, they are paying to hear the MUSIC...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2010, 10:42 PM)
As much as I like kids, I can't see a 3yo having the attention span to appreciate a rush concert, let alone any concert. You should also consider how the kid's behavior could affect (possibly ruin) another fans' experience which they paid dearly for. In short, they are paying to hear the MUSIC...

Right. Most three year olds are still quite capable of throwing an almighty tantrum if things aren't going the way they want them to.

Then again, I've known a few adults to behave the same way. . .

OK, here's the question:

What do you think?

you gotta be kiddin'.