The Lovely Bones

Tick

I don't know if I can find the words to really express what this movie did to me.

First off, I have never seen a movie like it. It was riveting. It made me angry. It make me sad. It left me disturbed, dazed and confused.

The cinematography was amazing in this movie.

It was quite a move although it was not an easy movie to watch at times.

What did you think of this movie if you saw it? I would be curious as to its effect on people?

Disturbing. Thats the one word that comes to mind. You find yourself checking on your kids a bit more often after you see this one.

Good film, but man, it was depressing.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ May 17 2010, 10:48 AM)
Disturbing. Thats the one word that comes to mind. You find yourself checking on your kids a bit more often after you see this one.

Yeah, I definitely felt a strong need to give my daughter a hug after watching this movie.

QUOTE (tick @ May 17 2010, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ May 17 2010, 10:48 AM)

Yeah, I definitely felt a strong need to give my daughter a hug after watching this movie.

No doubt. I can handle all the killing, maiming, butchering torturing of adults. But if its a kid or a dog, I just can't handle it laugh.gif

I saw this a few weeks ago. I got it cause I'm a big Mark Wahlberg fan. It was very interesting... I'm not a believer in the idea of an afterlife or heaven or hell so it was interesting to see someone's idea of a sort of limbo.

Visually spectacular... the storyline was pretty creepy and at times I found it was reaching in some areas. Also it was a lil bit too sappy... or maybe it's been too long since I was a pre-teen but I don't remember being that GAGA over a boy at that age. I guess things have changed.

QUOTE (tick @ May 17 2010, 09:59 AM)
I don't know if I can find the words to really express what this movie did to me.
First off, I have never seen a movie like it. It was riveting. It made me angry. It make me sad. It left me disturbed, dazed and confused.
What did you think of this movie if you saw it? I would be curious as to its effect on people?

The book was disturbing as well, and at times, hard to get through. Very much like the film. I was totally thrown off when I saw that Peter Jackson would be directing. Lord of the Rings to The Lovely Bones? I didn't get it at first, but then I remembered he directed The Frighteners and it made a little more sense, but not much. After reading the book, the last thing I expected was for it to be made into a film. Especially by Jackson. The cinematography was very good which I expected, but overall, I thought it was unnecessary. I liked the movie, but I'll never watch it again. How was I affected? It did make me sad and angry at times, but nothing I would recommend to anyone. Well... I shouldn't say that. The film is so off-the-wall, that I would recommend it to certain people. Wahlberg's performance was a little weak and that really surprised me because I'm a fan. I don't know anything about the making of this film, but I'm guessing there were several changes in the screenplay. I'm thinking that this would be a very difficult book to make into a film, and I got the feeling that the writers and director struggled at times. I give it a B-.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 18 2010, 09:27 AM)
I saw this a few weeks ago. I got it cause I'm a big Mark Wahlberg fan. It was very interesting... I'm not a believer in the idea of an afterlife or heaven or hell so it was interesting to see someone's idea of a sort of limbo.

Visually spectacular... the storyline was pretty creepy and at times I found it was reaching in some areas. Also it was a lil bit too sappy... or maybe it's been too long since I was a pre-teen but I don't remember being that GAGA over a boy at that age. I guess things have changed.

Oh you're so jaded YBT, that's your problem tongue.gif

I'm more interested in the direction/cinematography angle anyway trink38.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ May 17 2010, 06:31 PM)

JADED?! MOI?!!

I think you have me confused with someone else...

I don't think I've been called "jaded" ever...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 17 2010, 07:57 PM)

JADED?! MOI?!!

laugh.gif

Well, I guess you can no longer make that statement. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 18 2010, 11:57 AM)

JADED?! MOI?!!

laugh.gif

bumper.gif

laugh.gif I was only kidding you know that right?

So finally got to see this and it was how I expected. As YBT mentioned it sure had some sap/cringey moments but all in all a solid 4/5 for me. The directing of course was brilliant, especially the scene leading up to the murder. Apparantly the book has much more detail around the darker side of the story, which should be a very interesting read. Anyways, very good movie. Has anyone else read the book btw?

Disturbing. And because it had no real vengeful ending, i wasn't satisfied with it. Marky Mark should have taken the guy down. I hated the end badly.

I also didn't care for the in-between world crap. I'd have preferred it if it had been a straight forward ghost story, where the vengeful spirit helped her dad get retribution, like I thought it was going to be.

Overall... maybe a C, Cminus maybe. sad.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 17 2010, 08:59 AM)

I agree with you, but TLB tried to do too many things, mixing the "justice-for-the-murdered" genre with a heavy What Dreams Will Come visual vibe. If they'd stuck with just one, IMO this would have been a much more watchable movie.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 2 2010, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (KillerInstinct @ Nov 3 2010, 09:16 AM)
Also, disappointing ending. I wanted REAL justice to be served.

That was the whole point though.

Yes, within the "logic" of the film's universe real justice was served. I think a lot of people wanted the visceral revenge we all want in a situation like the one depicted in the movie. Who wouldn't? But that's not how the universe works most of the time. I think the point being, obviously, we are part of something bigger than us and we might not understand why things happen and the reasons why they happen. Watch for icicles throughout the movie.

I was surprised after I saw this recently that it didn't get very good reviews when it came out. Part of it was being compared negatively to the book. The only thing that I thought had some validity is that the story was a little all over the place and could have benefited from a tad more focus.

That said, it was a very powerful film - disturbing in places, beautiful in others. The wife and I both loved it, but it's definitely not something I'd want to watch very often as it's very intense...

I actually chose to not watch it, as the book had such an adverse effect on me. I'm kinda strange when I read, I tend to devour books very fast, and then go back reread stuff. There was no way that I was gonna revisit this story in any shape. It left me a total wreck.

However I would say that anything that garners that kind of reaction is worthwhile, I just would not choose to read or see it again.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Nov 4 2010, 11:00 AM)
I actually chose to not watch it, as the book had such an adverse effect on me.  I'm kinda strange when I read, I tend to devour books very fast, and then go back reread stuff. There was no way that I was gonna revisit this story in any shape. It left me a total wreck.
However I would say that anything that garners that kind of reaction is worthwhile, I just would not choose to read or see it again.

After what you posted and another recommendation, there is no way I'm passing this book up when I see it.