A request for the guys...

Could Neil, Alex and Geddy, or their representation, PLEASE publish a uniform camera policy for this tour. Nothing ridiculous, just pocket cameras. I'm tired of trying to get a venue to make a decision and then fending off security if I try to take a picture or two.

PLEASE!

Is it asking too much?

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ May 2 2010, 05:32 PM)
You kids are spoiled with your camera phomes and all that...back in the day "no cameras" meant NO CAMERAS.

I'm not a "kid." I'm only 3 years younger than you! I'm just saying, it's not like most fans are trying to shoot video, just something as a personal memento of the moment, you know?

QUOTE (woodring2112 @ May 2 2010, 06:40 PM)
You kids are spoiled with your camera phomes and all that...back in the day "no cameras" meant NO CAMERAS.

I'm only 3 years younger than you!

My condolences. tongue.gif

Edited by Some Half-Forgotten Stranger

Not at a Grateful Dead show.

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ May 2 2010, 10:09 PM)
Any camera should be allowed no matter what.  My friend said she tried to get into Jones Beach in 2008 with her DSLR and they wouldn't let her in with it.  She didn't even have a good enough lens to capture any good photos of the band because she was sitting so far back.  wtf.gif

I once had a press pass which allowed me to bring in a pro camera and to be between security and the stage for the first 20 minutes of the show.

After that was up and they threw us out, well of course I had to go find my seat and my peeps. You think even official credentials to have a camera that they'd let me bring it to my *&@#!$! seat?

I missed over 2 entire songs warily checking in my buddies $2000 camera with some glorified f**king carnie! Ask me how pissed I was!

*placeholder insert photo of someone with steam coming out there ears*

Edited by Godeater2112

I know Rush's security does battle on occasion with the venue - Rush is fine with a few "memory shots" and would rather their fans not be harrassed by the venue's goons. "Memory shots" mean a few judicious photos NOT on a giant professional setup with massive telephoto lens, or endlessly firing off flashes.

Michael Mosbach, who presumably will be heading up security again this year, posts on occasion here as Praetorian - even more often over on Counterparts. In '08 he did make a post apologizing to some fans who'd been given a hard time by venue security.

^------ That is cool.

At the end of the day obviously bands have very little if any control over anyone who works the venue, from the 11teen year old selling hot dogs to the dicks in security suits - can't blame Rush for any bad experiences there.

Personally, I only fire off multiple shots to make sure that I'll get a few good "memory shots" that actually look good - not blown out, too dark, too grainy or too damn blurry - and with the different lights they run, that's not easy, believe you me. So far yellow has been okay, blue is the best and red is the WORST to try and photograph.

While it would be nice to have an SLR setup at a show (and an actual press pass to go with it), I would not want to lug around a big bulky camera with 2-3 lenses and filters, along with a spare battery and memory cards, not to mention the external flash...I try to not use a flash if I can avoid it - flashes usually do not illuminate anything beyond the heads of the people in front of you. I have a Canon Powershot G9, which is compact, but can still shoot on manual settings - allowing you SLR controls, albeit very limited.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 2 2010, 06:28 PM)
I thought it was up to the venue? confused13.gif

Yes, this is why.

It is always up to the venue from what I understand.

I agree though, I wish they wouldn't make a big deal with having cameras there...it is annoying to say the least.

I was wrong about Mosbach - his name here is "ontheroad". He's only got 8 posts, but here's the one on the camera policy at Red Rocks (heads up, apparently that particular venue are dicks about cameras).

(Tuning Fork @ Jun 26 2008, 12:44 PM)
I want to start off by saying that I hate even having to write this. Rush is my favorite band, and has been for a long time. But last night my favorite band really let some of it's fans down. So I think this issue needs to be addressed once and for all, so that Rush won't be doing the same thing to their fans in the future. For the simple fact, that we don't deserve to be treated in this manner.

ontheroad Posted: Jun 29 2008, 09:43 PM

PRAE is sorry that you were lied to. Yes, LIED to. Feel free to share this with whomever your person is at RR. Rush NEVER changed its mind. Take PRAE's word for it as someone who GAVE the security instructions at the 4:40 security meeting. The part about cameras went something like this:

PRAE: Don't worry about cameras. We know what the tickets and signs say, but don't worry about them. Of course there is still zero tolerance on pro rigs and video.
RR SECURITY: We have a strict no camera policy that we enforce at every show, starting with a soft pat down and bag check at the gates.
PRAE: I don't care what you do at the gates, because they are your gates, but once inside, you will NOT take any enforcement measures against cameras.

The venue gets a security rider weeks before the show. In that rider, it actually states that no cameras are allowed. So you were lied to from the beginning. The Security Meeting is the last word, at which time, we relax the rules because the band said so after the rider was created, which is way you saw NO enforcement during the show.
Edited by Mara

each time i went to nissian which is now jiffy lube live to see Rush the first 3 times no cameras wasn't allowed then back in 2008 cameras where allowed as long as they wasn't pro cameras

QUOTE (Alex @ May 2 2010, 06:45 PM)
Its up to the venue.

And the band also . Sometimes it is in the bands contract

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ May 2 2010, 06:33 PM)

Kids...... rofl3.gif We use to get checked back in the day and had to take them back to the car or lose them. Late 60's early 70's. We could smoke tho.. cool10.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 3 2010, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ May 2 2010, 06:45 PM)
Its up to the venue.

And the band also . Sometimes it is in the bands contract

I ushered for a lot of concerts at Darien Lake and it almost always up to the band if cameras are allowed.

Most venues don't care if you brought a camera in

I ushered for a lot of concerts at Darien Lake and it almost always up to the band if cameras are allowed.

Most venues don't care if you brought a camera in

QUOTE (TullSkull @ May 4 2010, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ May 2 2010, 06:33 PM)

Kids...... rofl3.gif We use to get checked back in the day and had to take them back to the car or lose them. Late 60's early 70's. We could smoke tho.. cool10.gif

But those cameras were a bit harder to hide than they are nowadays!