The burger thread!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 8 2010, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 10:20 AM)
PETA would not like this thread.

And we should care because . . . ? cool.gif

The only reason a non-meat eater would come into this thread would be to preach to us about the evils of eating meat. Such individuals can stuff it.

I've eaten meat substitute patties and they are okay, I guess, if that's what you are really wanting. If what you want is a BURGER then they suck as an alternative and really need no consideration.

gotta love the people who eat facon.

what's the point? fat is flavor.

i think i'll have a burger with melted soy cheese and a few slices of facon. sarcasm.gif

yes.gif I'd rather just have a salad if I was opposed to meat. Meat substitutes just don't cut it. I guess a good analogy would be substituting a blow up doll for the real thing, not that I would know about such things. laugh.gif

It's like those fat free baked potato chips. confused13.gif I hate them and I would much rather eat baby carrots or even celery sticks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2010, 08:40 AM)
Here's one I have used for years, sorry I don't have amounts but it's done by feel:

BBQ sauce (whichever one you prefer)
Garlic Powder
Season Salt (Lawrey's)
Pepper
Dried Minced onions
Parsley, not too much

Mix it thoroughly with the meat and then make your patties.  They taste better if you make a few hours before you grill them so teh marinate a little.

That sounds incredible! Thank you!

I forogt...

1 egg for 1-1.5 lbs of meat

few splashes of Worcestershire also

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 11:14 AM)
I saw a recipe last year for a burger made entirely from ground bacon.  It got me thinking - why not do 2/3 beef and 1/3 ground bacon?  Or half and half?  I bet this would be a taste sensation and may have to give it a try.

Might be even better topped with more bacon.

Bacon...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ETNc90p_gd8/R77RFH3XGXI/AAAAAAAABvU/hc1BaMJYszg/s400/homer+drool+2.gif

Speaking of bacon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK9bjLy3v4

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 8 2010, 11:05 AM)
I love to grill things. The secret to great grilling is keeping the meat moist. With hamburgers you can mix the ground beef with something to keep it from drying out; wrapping them in bacon works pretty well. I've tried mixing the beef with BBQ sauce or even Italian dressing. If you do that, you also need to mix in some egg to keep the patties from falling apart.

Like ILSnowdog, I like to use season salt and fresh ground pepper on burgers. I also put on some worcestershire sauce to keep them from drying out.

I find that some meats are better for grilling than others. Chicken is too dry IMO, but if I'm grilling chicken, I use a marinade brush with teriyaki or something similar and I turn them often and keep them moist. A really great meat to grill is lamb because it has a lot of fat and it doesn't dry out. The best steaks to grill are ribeye for the same reason.

When I do baby backs, I slow cook them in the oven first then use the grill to sear the edges. That way they fall apart and are really tender.

Best advice is no matter what you are grilling, don't overcook the meat!

Hmm, I've never baked ribs before grilling them, I've always boiled them instead. I'll have to try that.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 01:35 PM)
I love to grill things. The secret to great grilling is keeping the meat moist. With hamburgers you can mix the ground beef with something to keep it from drying out; wrapping them in bacon works pretty well. I've tried mixing the beef with BBQ sauce or even Italian dressing. If you do that, you also need to mix in some egg to keep the patties from falling apart.

Like ILSnowdog, I like to use season salt and fresh ground pepper on burgers. I also put on some worcestershire sauce to keep them from drying out.

I find that some meats are better for grilling than others. Chicken is too dry IMO, but if I'm grilling chicken, I use a marinade brush with teriyaki or something similar and I turn them often and keep them moist. A really great meat to grill is lamb because it has a lot of fat and it doesn't dry out. The best steaks to grill are ribeye for the same reason.

When I do baby backs, I slow cook them in the oven first then use the grill to sear the edges. That way they fall apart and are really tender.

Hmm, I've never baked ribs before grilling them, I've always boiled them instead. I'll have to try that.

Oh yeah, baking keeps the flavor in there and you can marinade them as well. My wife usually does it while I'm at work for 3 hours and when I get home they're ready to grill. drool1.gif

music.gif I want my baby back baby back baby back...

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 01:35 PM)

Don't boil them! It takes all the flavor out. Bake them at a low heat with onions. Then grill them and slather them with BBQ sauce while they are on the grill. drool1.gif

i say cook your ribs with an indirect heat on med low for 2 hrs. make sure to remove the sliver skin on the bottom side. sauce and rub as desired. i will post some rub and sauce recipes later.

the most important aspect to grilling is to always use wood chips/chunks. wood is like a spice for barbecuing. if using charcoal add soaked wood chips directly to coals. if you using gas ( which i say don't unless you live in a cold clime) put soaked wood chips in a cast iron box.

recently i have been cooking over oak coals. i just chop up some logs from my woodpile.

Anybody ever have a fried egg on their burger? I know of a few places that have this on their menu. I hear its good.

this is the rub i use most often. works on everything.

1/4 cup coarse salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup paprika

3 tablespoons ground black pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( or less )

1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

this is great on burgers or anything else. its from a book I highly recommend called Sauces, rubs and marinades by Steven Raichlen.

Raichlen has several book in his barbecue series but this is his cheapest and best book IMO. A great grilling recipe resource and essential reading for aspiring grilll masters IMO.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 8 2010, 03:43 PM)
Eastern North Carolina Barbecue Sauce
1 pint cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 table spoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
combine and let sit for several hours prior to use (if possible)

I'm an Eastern NC native so this would be for me. trink38.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 02:58 PM)
1 pint cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt

i hope you like it. some folks add sliced onion to it but i pass on that.

its super easy to make and very inexpensive. as CT knows this sauce is most often used on chopped or sliced whole hog or boston butts. kinda needs a somewhat fatty meat to work with the vinegar

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 8 2010, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 02:58 PM)
1 pint cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt

i hope you like it. some folks add sliced onion to it but i pass on that.

its super easy to make and very inexpensive. as CT knows this sauce is most often used on chopped or sliced whole hog or boston butts. kinda needs a somewhat fatty meat to work with the vinegar

Definitely on chopped barbecue! You have to be careful with the vinegar though. The wrong amount can ruin the flavor and not blend with the other ingredients.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 02:41 PM)
Anybody ever have a fried egg on their burger? I know of a few places that have this on their menu. I hear its good.

and a grilled cheese sandwich on top of the fried egg. i've seen that one but if you attempt it i would keep a defib machine nearby.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 8 2010, 05:10 PM)

and a grilled cheese sandwich on top of the fried egg. i've seen that one but if you attempt it i would keep a defib machine nearby.

Nobody said that dying happy was wrong! laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 04:12 PM)

very true. don't forget to wash it down with something. trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 8 2010, 05:13 PM)

Gag. I can't think of a faster, more surefire way to ruin good meat than to put a nasty-ass egg on it.

I'd be all over steak tartare except for the egg part.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 8 2010, 05:13 PM)

Gag. I can't think of a faster, more surefire way to ruin good meat than to put a nasty-ass egg on it.

I'd be all over steak tartare except for the egg part.

I can't handle eggs either.

I like a green chile or jalapeno roasted and peeled on a burger.

A super ass kicking topping is a slice of pineapple grilled and combined with the hot peppers. leave the core in for cooking and remove for serving.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 03:41 PM)

I've had a BLT with a fried egg. It was delicious drool1.gif

I like to mix Cheddar and bacon bits in the the meat with a little Adobo seasoning and season the outside with Montreal steak seasoning.... Good Shite! Now i'lm hungry!!

i am firing the grill up and laying down some homemade hot italian sausage patties, topped with provolone and peppers and onions.

yesterday was the first time i had made a sausage mix ever and i used half of it in a lasagna last night. it was killer. i bought 90% lean ground pork at the store so it was super easy, far spicier and far less greasy than most sausages.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 11 2010, 03:20 PM)
i am firing the grill up and laying down some homemade hot italian sausage patties, topped with provolone and peppers and onions.

yesterday was the first time i had made a sausage mix ever and i used half of it in a lasagna last night. it was killer. i bought 90% lean ground pork at the store so it was super easy, far spicier and far less greasy than most sausages.

Sounds great, man! drool1.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 11 2010, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 11 2010, 03:20 PM)

Sounds great, man! drool1.gif

it was killer, cooked over charcoal and two chunks of apple wood for that smoky flavor. the recipe i tried is

Hot Italian Sausage

5-lbs pork

1-cup cold red wine

1-cup chopped fresh parsley

5-tsp salt

1-tbsp garlic powder or-4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced

1-tbsp fresh ground pepper

3-tsp cayenne

5-tbsp fennel seed

2-tsp crushed chili peppers

5-tbsp paprika

I only used 2 pounds of meat so I had to adjust the amounts. I did not have any wine or parsley on hand so i skipped them altogether.

http://thespicysausage.com/recipes/hotitaliansausage.htm

Edited by tangy

Oh, ok... now this is my kinda thread!!

Tip, salt dries meat. Try not to salt until it's done, and even then, ease up, salt is bad for you.

Fresh, fresh ingrients are the best!!

Fresh chopped garlic, fresh onions. fresh ground pepper.

fresh ground lemon zest! fresh oregeno, a splash of worseshire.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 07:59 AM)
I finally got to grill cheeseburgers Sunday night and they were delicious! drool1.gif When I'm grilling them, I start with an ordinary meat patty and periodically dump a little Worcestershire sauce on them as I'm grilling them (and when that sauce hits the flame it is pungent! They could use that stuff for crowd control!) However, I'm looking for something a little different, maybe some good spices to mix with the meat or whatever. I'm asking if any of you backyard chefs out there would mind sharing your burger recipes. Please?

Thanks!

Try putting the Worcestershire sauce in the meat while you make the burger. Then you grill it . I do it all the time. I top it off with a little Montreal Steak seasoning . Great flavor