SCARS!

Rushman14

What can I say? 'Scars' rocks. If you like this song then you need to check out the live performance on Youtube. Great stuff. Just type in 'Scars' Mountain View 6/27/1990.

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:59 AM)
What can I say? 'Scars' rocks. If you like this song then you need to check out the live performance on Youtube. Great stuff. Just type in 'Scars' Mountain View 6/27/1990.

There's a link to it above, along with a couple of other good live versions. The soundboard version was uploaded by Xanadu93 here on TRF, and the Mountain View live version was uploaded by Show Don't Tell. SDT's YouTube account, RollTheFemers, is one of the best live Rush collections on YT.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 10 2010, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:59 AM)
What can I say?  'Scars' rocks.  If you like this song then you need to check out the live performance on Youtube.  Great stuff.  Just type in 'Scars'  Mountain View  6/27/1990.

There's a link to it above, along with a couple of other good live versions. The soundboard version was uploaded by Xanadu93 here on TRF, and the Mountain View live version was uploaded by Show Don't Tell. SDT's YouTube account, RollTheFemers, is one of the best live Rush collections on YT.

Cool. I'll check them out. Thanks Mara.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 9 2010, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 9 2010, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 9 2010, 09:04 PM)
I know this is old news to 99% of you but for anyone else who likes the song and wants to hear or see what it was like on the Presto tour there are three great options and luckily they've all been uploaded to youtube.

The proshot performance from Auburn Hills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHYJsejHpUQ

The proshot performance from Mountain View:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5Tm9BAWSw

And the soundboard recording from Hartford:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jga283Cw4Ic

Just for the few of you who still may not know about these. Enjoy.

I was just about to post the Mountain View performance! Thanks.

Now those of you who missed it (due to not being alive yet, etc., ) can see how incredible this is live.

now that brings back memories. that Auburn Hills performance is exactly 20 years old. amazing.

Holy Cow does it ever!

I was at that concert....didn't realize that vid exsisted. Pretty cool to think I was there for that.....

But gezzzzzz......20 years ago......Man am I feelin old.....

I'm only 38 now but, to say I was there 20 years ago kinda sucks....lol

That was the Last Rush concert I saw at Auburn Hills.

Pine Knob was after that. (DTE)

So, It was

Joe Louis Arena

Auburn Hills

Pine Knob

DTE Energy Theater

Thats my Rush experience.....

Oh except for being 4 and being at the Cleary in Windsor with a babysitter....

HW

Yes, Scars is cool.

Didn't they use the music sans lyrics as background music on the Rush In Rio DVD? Or was it just something similar? I think it may have been on the 'Boys In Brazil' documentary on disc 2...

QUOTE (RobW @ Mar 11 2010, 02:10 AM)
Yes, Scars is cool.

Didn't they use the music sans lyrics as background music on the Rush In Rio DVD? Or was it just something similar? I think it may have been on the 'Boys In Brazil' documentary on disc 2...

You're correct.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 9 2010, 06:39 PM)

how did I miss THIS????

When checking out this Scars clip, I noticed a clip for Rush "Tough Break". Apparently it's an unreleased Rush track with Jack Secret singing. It definitely sounds like Rush. It reminds me of when they did Battlescar. Is anyone else familiar with this??? Is it on MiTa's site?

Tough Break

nobody really commented on this. is this unreleased track a rare find or have i been living under a rock?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 11 2010, 12:33 PM)

how did I miss THIS????

When checking out this Scars clip, I noticed a clip for Rush "Tough Break". Apparently it's an unreleased Rush track with Jack Secret singing. It definitely sounds like Rush. It reminds me of when they did Battlescar. Is anyone else familiar with this??? Is it on MiTa's site?

Tough Break

nobody really commented on this. is this unreleased track a rare find or have i been living under a rock?

I have no idea...first time I've heard of this.

Certainly isn't Geddy singing, so it's tough to confirm whether or not this is actually the Boys playing the music!

The song was known about forever, I'll have to go look but I'm pretty sure it's discussed by name in the Signals tourbook. It's not a Rush song but they do play on it. In that sense it's like Battlescar. It was finally released to the public a couple years ago which is why no one has commented on it, it's kind of old news.

Ok, here. I found the entry on the excellent Rushisaband blog where I originally found out about it. It's over two years old. Here's everything you need to know about it.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Tough Break; unreleased Jack Secret collaboration with Rush

Posted at 3:26PM | comments (25)

[Tough Break]

UPDATE - 2/5@8:07AM: Apparently this mp3 version was ripped from a bootleg titled Power Run that was recorded at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on April 16th, 1986. It's listed as a bonus track called Tough Break by the Fab Pros which was recorded in 1981 at Le Studio by Rush and friends. Thanks to Burger King Diamond at Counterparts for the link.

Back during the mixing of Exit... Stage Left Rush along with crew members Jack Secret (aka Tony Geranios) and Skip Gildersleeve recorded a song written by Jack Secret called Tough Break, as chronicled in the Signals Tourbook by Neil Peart:

We were getting a little bored with inactivity. During the mixing

of "Exit... Stage Left" there was really not much for us to do except

say "it sounds good" or "it doesn't sound good".

I had been working down in the little studio, cleaning and renovating

an old set of Hayman drums that were kicking around, and had started working on a "Jack Secret" song with Jack and Skip from the crew. Geddy and Alex soon joined in on keyboards and rhythm guitar, and we later recorded the song ("Tough Break") up in the studio. ...

- Neil Peart

Per the the US copyright database there are 4 separate listings for a Dean Anthony Geranios (aka Jack Secret) including Tough Break and one other song called White Flag which has lyrics attributed to Neil Peart. Until recently I had never heard either of these songs.

Just over the past week, an mp3 version of the song Tough Break has been making the rounds online. I've received it via email from several readers already and there's a thread over at Counterparts discussing it. From what I understand it's definitely legit. So here it is. Make of it what you will.

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1377

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 11 2010, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 11 2010, 12:33 PM)

how did I miss THIS????

Tough Break

I have no idea...first time I've heard of this.

Certainly isn't Geddy singing, so it's tough to confirm whether or not this is actually the Boys playing the music!

edited to say I just saw snowdogs comment about it being old news so there it is.

here are some of the comments from Youtube

ewhite4696 (9 months ago) Jack Secret = Tony Geranios....long time keyboard and guitar tech for Rush. He's a great guy

vaportrails44 (1 year ago) What info are you looking for? It is what it is...the long sought after Tough Break...Tony G., Geddy's long standing Keyboard tech verified it and was NOT happy about it making it to the net.

burningxdimx

Tony - Bass and Vocals

Skip - Lead Guitar

Alex - Rhythm guitar

Geddy - Keys and Backing Vocals

Neil - Drums

Archived