Grand Funk Railroad

Earthshine

Since we have been discussing old bands and old time, thought I would mention Grand Funk Railroad. No doubt they are "Rock 'n' Roll Soul" (also the name of one of their best and funkiest songs! common001.gif )

When they were a trio I thought they were probably their least commercial. Then Terry Knight quit producing and managing them and they got keyboardist Craig Frost. Then they seemed to get more and more commercial and really faded out.

They are back again but Mark Farner is no longer with them.

I saw them with and without Mark and they are still fantastic.

Loved all the old material up to We're An American Band. Don Brewer is one of the greatest American drummers ever. Yet, he has never graced the cover of Modern Drummer Magazine, nor won any polls there. Yet Peart and Portnoy dominate the drum media, magazine covers and polls. rofl3.gif

Brewer in a drum magazine? That'll be the day...

I honestly think Grand Funk was the least respected hard rock band of its day. Critics probably hated them even worse the Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin combined. My two guesses as to why:

They weren't British. They were from Flint, Michigan (where Buicks were made), so they didn't even have the good grace to be a California or New York band.

They sold MILLIONS of records. And as we all know, anything that sells that much can't really be good. It's too commercial.

I love them. I think I have most of their albums from '69-'81. Mel Schacher is one of my favorite bass players. I've spent hours learning to play bass by listening to their records.

Walk Like A Man...

1022.gif

One of the greatest American bands in the Land!! I LOVE THEM! Especially the GRAND FUNK stuff!!

Your timing is everything Shine.

Wendy and I watched an incredible movie last night with Jimmy Smith called "Law Abiding Citizen."

The end credits played a Grand Funk song all the way through. It was awesome.

The movie by the way is FIVE STARS BABY!!!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

A masterpiece.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Mar 9 2010, 09:07 PM)
Come on baby, do the locomotion......

I have to admit on this Grand Funk Thread that I absolutely hate two songs by them.

"Loco-Motion" is horrible. So is "Some Kind Of Wonderful."

Strangely enough both of these two "covers" were written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King.

Why did the guys in Grand Funk obsess over these two song writers????

The Locomotion and Some Kind Of Wonderful are pure pop puke! rofl3.gif

Bring on:

Time Machine

In Need

Into The Sun

T.N.U.C.

Aimless Lady

I Don't Have To Sing The Blues No More

Closer To Home (I'm Your Captain)

Footstompin' Music

Rock 'n' Roll Soul

Black Licorice

The Railroad

Walk Like A Man

Now, we're talkin'! common001.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 9 2010, 11:39 PM)
The Locomotion and Some Kind Of Wonderful are pure pop puke! rofl3.gif

Bring on:

Time Machine
In Need
Into The Sun
T.N.U.C.
Aimless Lady
Footstompin' Music
Rock 'n' Roll Soul
Black Licorice
The Railroad
Walk Like A Man

Now, we're talkin'! common001.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:42 PM)
Locomotion is pretty shit. But 'Some kind of Wonderful' is great!! I love it

Yeah, if I had too I can groove to their version of "Some Kind Of Wonderful."

That "El LOCO" Motion cover is pure shite.

Adios amigos............................

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 10 2010, 06:32 PM)
The Locomotion and Some Kind Of Wonderful are pure pop pukerofl3.gif

Bring on:

Time Machine
In Need
Into The Sun
T.N.U.C.
Aimless Lady
Footstompin' Music
Rock 'n' Roll Soul
Black Licorice
The Railroad
Walk Like A Man

Now, we're talkin'!  common001.gif

goodpost.gif

That's a good list. I'll add Queen Bee and Sin is a Good Man's Brother right off the top of my head. Monster Magnet does an excellent cover of this tune.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Mar 11 2010, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 10 2010, 06:32 PM)
The Locomotion and Some Kind Of Wonderful are pure pop pukerofl3.gif

Bring on:

Time Machine
In Need
Into The Sun
T.N.U.C.
Aimless Lady
Footstompin' Music
Rock 'n' Roll Soul
Black Licorice
The Railroad
Walk Like A Man

Now, we're talkin'!  common001.gif

goodpost.gif

That's a good list. I'll add Queen Bee and Sin is a Good Man's Brother right off the top of my head. Monster Magnet does an excellent cover of this tune.

I have not heard Queen Bee I don't think. I also meant to add I Ain't Got Nobody and Stop Looking Back to this incredible list of songs by such a great band.

If you have the Heavy Metal soundtrack, it's on there. Grand Funk reunited and put out an album in 1981. Queen Bee was taken from that album.

:bump:

I'm just a little bit obsessed by Grand Funk at the moment. Especially the Survival album, but I love all of their early outputs. One of the best American bands ever. Here's proof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sew6V6tFtI

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1

I saw GFR at Shea Stadium back in 1971. In my high school, they were 'the band' and I felt off track because I was listening to PF, Yes, ELP, Genesis and Jethro Tull... Go figure. I still enjoyed The Who and Rolling Stones though.

Anyway, I went to the show with my track team it was freakin' awesome. It was my first stadium concert so it was a great concert memory. Lots of people smoking pot and drinking. Great memories.

http://youtu.be/fyF5J7au1jE

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

I saw GFR at Shea Stadium back in 1971. In my high school, they were 'the band' and I felt off track because I was listening to PF, Yes, ELP, Genesis and Jethro Tull... Go figure. I still enjoyed The Who and Rolling Stones though.

Anyway, I went to the show with my track team it was freakin' awesome. It was my first stadium concert so it was a great concert memory. Lots of people smoking pot and drinking. Great memories.

Not surprised that you saw them. Awesome, man!

Shea Stadium, just WOW, thanks for sharing the great story. :cheers:

Listening to E Pluribus Funk right now, doing what the people did back then. :sundog:

Fukk, I love this band.

• Like 2

Not surprised that you saw them. Awesome, man!

Shea Stadium, just WOW, thanks for sharing the great story. :cheers:

Listening to E Pluribus Funk right now, doing what the people did back then. :sundog:

Fukk, I love this band.

I hear ya !!! :sundog:

• Like 1

I'm just a little bit obsessed by Grand Funk at the moment. Especially the Survival album, but I love all of their early outputs. One of the best American bands ever. Here's proof...

Keyboardist Craig Frost lives right near me. Ran into him the other day -- next time I'll say "greyfriar says hi," haha.

• Like 2

Keyboardist Craig Frost lives right near me. Ran into him the other day -- next time I'll say "greyfriar says hi," haha.

:LOL: Yeah, do that and assure him that at least one person in Germany still enjoys their music. :7up:

• Like 1