James Taylor

Pags

He's just one of the greatest... ever. I have no idea how this urge got into my head to have to listen to him today, but it's huge.

im something of a latecomer to james taylors work but i recently picked up a copy of his "greatest hits" and play it a lot, particularly in the car.

nobody does it better when you just wanna chill and wind down.

can you recommend a non best of album that i will enjoy?

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 27 2010, 03:18 PM)
can you recommend a non best of album that i will enjoy?

My favorites would be:

Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon Amazing songwriting! "Hey Mister, That's Me up on the Jukebox," "You Can Close Your Eyes," and "Machine Gun Kelly," along with the hit "You've Got a Friend."

Sweet Baby James. Great album, but most of the best songs are also on Greatest Hits.

JT. "Secret O' Life," "Traffic Jam," and "Your Smiling Face."

Flag. Not for everyone, but there's a couple tracks here I LOVE which can't be found elsewhere. "B.S.U.R. (Be As You Are)" and "I Will Not Lie For You," plus "Up on the Roof" and "Millworker."

QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 27 2010, 11:49 AM)
He's just one of the greatest... ever. I have no idea how this urge got into my head to have to listen to him today, but it's huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAhQBbK-oM

Try spending 2 hours in the back of a car listening to him, you will change your mind. wink.gif

I'm bumping my own thread (I forgot it was me who had started it) laugh.gif

I unexpectedly got into a major mood to listen to him just now. So anything James Taylor is playing for a while right now.

Life is good.

QUOTE (Denis Leary @ Mar 5 2001, 12:06 AM)
If parents can sue Black Sabbath when their kids commit suicide, then I should be able to sue James Taylor for making me a pussy back in the 70s. "Your honor, because of James Taylor, I didn't get my first blow job 'till I was 27".

That one never gets old. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 25 2011, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Denis Leary @ Mar 5 2001, 12:06 AM)
If parents can sue Black Sabbath when their kids commit suicide, then I should be able to sue James Taylor for making me a pussy back in the 70s. "Your honor, because of James Taylor, I didn't get my first blow job 'till I was 27".

That one never gets old. z7shysterical.gif

If you or Dennis Leary didn't get your first blow jobs until your late 20's, you've got a lot more than James Taylor to blame. tongue.gif

Great songwriter. Many terrific songs.

Always reminds me of vacations and kicking back with my wife on Martha's Vineyard. Like listening to Buffet, you just cant have any anxiety in your body when you hear his voice. Hell of a songwriter.

as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate alot of the music I grew up to but hated at the time. All of that early 70's mellow singer-songwriter stuff like JT, Jim Croce, John Denver, Seals & Crofts, Don McLean, Cat Stevens, Bread and handfuls of one-hit wonders to name but a few. I love all of that stuff.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 26 2011, 06:49 PM)
as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate alot of the music I grew up to but hated at the time. All of that early 70's mellow singer-songwriter stuff like JT, Jim Croce, John Denver, Seals & Crofts, Don McLean, Cat Stevens, Bread and handfuls of one-hit wonders to name but a few. I love all of that stuff.

trink39.gif Amen!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 27 2011, 02:10 AM)

trink39.gif Amen!

Same here. The Carpenters also.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 27 2011, 10:14 AM)

trink39.gif Amen!

I'm a HUGE Carpenters fan. yes.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 26 2011, 07:49 PM)

Totally. I think the only difference I have with this is that I've always liked the stuff, even growing up. But I think I have an even bigger appreciation for it now that I'm older.

I have an immense collection of songs from that time frame - all the soft rock of the 70's stuff. It's awesome.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 27 2011, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 27 2011, 10:14 AM)

trink39.gif Amen!

I'm a HUGE Carpenters fan. yes.gif

Huge doesn't even describe. The warmth of Karen Carpenter's voice is like sipping Brandy in front of a fireplace. When she sings, everything else in the world just doesn't matter anymore. And don't even get me started on Carpenter's Christmas music. It's the end of July, and you'll have me playing Merry Christmas Darling pretty soon. yes.gif

trink39.gif Amen!

I have a "Greatest Hits" CD for Seals & Crofts, but what I really listen to by them is the soundtrack to the movie One on One. It was a basketball-themed "love story" movie, starring Robby Benson and Annette O'Toole, with songs written by Paul Williams and performed by Seals & Crofts. (You may know the hit "My Fair Share.") I used to listen to the album as a kid, and now I have the CD. Sappy, fluffy, and "feel good" music, but I love it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f5/OneOnOne200.jpg

For Don McLean, I prefer "Castles in the Air" and "Vincent" over the more obvious and overplayed "American Pie."

I'm just the opposite. As I have gotten older, my taste in music has gravitated toward heavier music. Now in my 40's I can't stomach any of those artist you have listed, and have gravitated to artist like Mudvayne and Mastodon. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 27 2011, 02:11 PM)

I'm just the opposite. As I have gotten older, my taste in music has gravitated toward heavier music. Now in my 40's I can't stomach any of those artist you have listed, and have gravitated to artist like Mudvayne and Mastodon. 1022.gif

The weird part is, I like those bands and that music too. I laugh at myself at how I can switch from someone like Dan Fogelberg to a band like Disturbed in the snap of a finger and not blink an eye. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 27 2011, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 27 2011, 02:11 PM)

The weird part is, I like those bands and that music too. I laugh at myself at how I can switch from someone like Dan Fogelberg to a band like Disturbed in the snap of a finger and not blink an eye. laugh.gif

Yep, I'm exactly the same.

I've got Carpenters, ABBA, Jackson Five, Simon & Garfunkel, and even the Partridge Family on my iPod... but also have Dio and Iron Maiden. I'm all over the place.