Survival and disaster preparedness

Jack Aubrey

Some easy to remember and find edible plants:

Cattails: eat the stalks and immature seed heads in early to mid-spring, boil then eat the roots later in the year (in Winter you should boil the roots at least three times, changing the water each time, to get all the tannin out of them, otherwise they'll make you sick) roast the root lightly after boiling it.

Pine seedlings: eat the tap root, it's fine raw or roasted.

Acorns: boil three times, changing the water each time, then roast and eat.

Dandelions: the leaves are a little bitter, but not too bad and they're chock-full of nutrients.

Kudzu: eat the young shoots and leaves. The leaves boil up nicely and are a lot like spinach, I love 'em!

Reindeer moss: boil it and eat. It's a little nutrient-poor but still contains some starches, so eat a lot if it's all you have and drink the broth. It's surprisingly flavorful.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I'm prepping for every disaster situation. Hey, it is 2012 afterall! laugh.gif

I'm getting a zombie kit, and a Red Dawn kit going. Let's face it, zombies are going to happen, and when those Koreans invade, I'll be the one fighting them off from the mountains. laugh.gif

On a serious note, if anyone has an android based device, there's a free app I got that is perfect for survival prep.

US Army survival Guide

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 26 2012, 11:02 AM)
I'm prepping for every disaster situation. Hey, it is 2012 afterall! laugh.gif

I'm getting a zombie kit, and a Red Dawn kit going. Let's face it, zombies are going to happen, and when those Koreans invade, I'll be the one fighting them off from the mountains. laugh.gif

On a serious note, if anyone has an android based device, there's a free app I got that is perfect for survival prep.

US Army survival Guide

Excellent info, thanks! You can find lots of free survival aps for your android, including morse code. Do a search and install them 'cause you never know.

We prepper/survivalist types make a lot of jokes about zombies, but they will be, in a sense, real. Look at it this way. The zombies aren't going to be actual undead types, the zombies are gonna be the folks who didn't prepare for teotwawki (the end of the world as we know it) so if it happens, they're gonna be coming after those who did prepare to get their stuff. So make a plan and start prepping now as it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Fortune favors the prepared so stay that way!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 26 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 26 2012, 11:02 AM)
I'm prepping for every disaster situation. Hey, it is 2012 afterall!  laugh.gif

I'm getting a zombie kit, and a Red Dawn kit going. Let's face it, zombies are going to happen, and when those Koreans invade, I'll be the one fighting them off from the mountains.  laugh.gif

US Army survival Guide

Excellent info, thanks! You can find lots of free survival aps for your android, including morse code. Do a search and install them 'cause you never know.

We prepper/survivalist types make a lot of jokes about zombies, but they will be, in a sense, real. Look at it this way. The zombies aren't going to be actual undead types, the zombies are gonna be the folks who didn't prepare for teotwawki (the end of the world as we know it) so if it happens, they're gonna be coming after those who did prepare to get their stuff. So make a plan and start prepping now as it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Fortune favors the prepared so stay that way!

laugh.gif Yeah, my rule of thumb, is to have guns that fire ammo that you can find everywhere. (9mm, .22LR, 12 gauge, 7.62X39, 5.56, 7.62X54 etc)

Also, it can never hurt to have a zombie apocolypse survival plan wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 26 2012, 08:53 AM)

Cattails: eat the stalks and immature seed heads in early to mid-spring, boil then eat the roots later in the year (in Winter you should boil the roots at least three times, changing the water each time, to get all the tannin out of them, otherwise they'll make you sick) roast the root lightly after boiling it.

Dandelions: the leaves are a little bitter, but not too bad and they're chock-full of nutrients.

Kudzu: eat the young shoots and leaves. The leaves boil up nicely and are a lot like spinach, I love 'em!

Reindeer moss: boil it and eat. It's a little nutrient-poor but still contains some starches, so eat a lot if it's all you have and drink the broth. It's surprisingly flavorful.

You can also eat the new growth of pine trees, the really bright green stuff that appears in the spring. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, too.

The new growth of ferns is quite good (fiddleheads). Gather them when they are brand new or they will get tough. Great sauteed in butter!

Dandelion root can be dried, ground and brewed as coffee for a nutritious drink.

There are many weeds that are also medicinal (not just *that* one, either). I'll try to post a few of those when I have more time.....

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 27 2012, 03:28 AM)

You can also eat the new growth of pine trees, the really bright green stuff that appears in the spring. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, too.

The new growth of ferns is quite good (fiddleheads). Gather them when they are brand new or they will get tough. Great sauteed in butter!

Dandelion root can be dried, ground and brewed as coffee for a nutritious drink.

There are many weeds that are also medicinal (not just *that* one, either). I'll try to post a few of those when I have more time.....

Cool stuff, thanks!

However, I caution people to avoid ferns as some of them are poisonous.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 27 2012, 03:28 AM)

Also, the inner bark of a pine is edible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Bob.jpg

I've got several, including ones that stay in each vehicle 24/7 and one for the dog. I bought him a backpack at the pet store so that way he can carry his own gear.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

Yes, I will be prepared once my year's supply of Maruchan Ramen arrives.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0chfsPUFF1qbi3zpo1_500.jpg

The great thing is it can still be enjoyed raw if no hot water is available! Delish.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 3 2012, 02:10 PM)

The great thing is it can still be enjoyed raw if no hot water is available! Delish.

Ramen noodles are great survival food! You can also dress 'em up by adding canned tuna or chicken and vegetables to it. My favorite is to strain the noodles and stir in a couple of scrambled eggs and some soy sauce. It makes for a good breakfast.

Since the subject of zombies has already been broached, I'm not ashamed to say that I'll be wearing the best protective gear available to make me the most indestructible zombie around.

Shotguns, bats, axes? HA! All your brain are belong to me!

• Like 1

PS...and yes, in the unlikely event I do not become a zombie, I do have my go bag ready and I made sure my wife has hers ready too.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 3 2012, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 3 2012, 02:10 PM)

Ramen noodles are great survival food! You can also dress 'em up by adding canned tuna or chicken and vegetables to it. My favorite is to strain the noodles and stir in a couple of scrambled eggs and some soy sauce. It makes for a good breakfast.

goodpost.gif

I always add canned tuna or crack an egg or two in my ramen. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nope. I'm not ready. With my flashes, I might self-combust before that happens anyway. laugh.gif

Old-school fire starting! This is my Jeremiah Johnson kit, complete with an antique firesteel called a strike-a-light, flints, and Jute twine! Ain't it pretty?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/FSK.jpg

• Like 1

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 3 2012, 02:04 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Bob.jpg

I've got several, including ones that stay in each vehicle 24/7 and one for the dog. I bought him a backpack at the pet store so that way he can carry his own gear.

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I have heard all day.

Some general good-to-know info:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/snare.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/shelter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/IF.jpg

My new survivalin' knife, a RAT (Randall's Adventure Training) RC-3! I'd been wanting one of these for a couple of years now. I added the nylon pouch you see on the sheath. The magnesium bar and knife sharpener on the left are what I keep in the pouch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/RAT.jpg

Acvailable at PetSmart and other pet stores: Pet backpack. Collapsible food and water bowls. Add a canteen, some food and treats in a baggie and a couple of chew toys & your four-legged friend is good to go!

Bumped cos I'll have more info for you soon! Stay tuned.

If you've never seen this thread before, please take some time to read it. I'd also love to hear your thoughts on this subject!

If there's dew on the ground, tie your shirt or bandana or whatever-you-got around your ankle making sure to let it trail out like a flag. Walk around for a few minutes and the dew will be absorbed by the cloth. Untie it and wring it into a container or directly into your mouth as all dew is fine to drink as is. Collected rainwater is also safe to drink. If you don't have a container but have a waterproof jacket, poncho, or tarp, just dig a hole in the ground and line it with your jacket to collect the rainwater.

You'll see in several different survival manuals that few agree on how long to boil water before it's safe to drink, some say one minute, others say three. The truth is that once it gets up to boiling temp, 99% of the bugs have been killed off. I tell my students to just remember a simple rhyme: "big bubbles, no troubles".

It's estimated that around 3/5ths of the Earth's surface water are contaminated by Giardia and Cryptosporidium so while it's ok to cool off using untreated water you still need to be careful, just one drop going into your eye or mouth is enough. Also, while we're on the subject of parasites, I need to mention that if you're in a survival situation and have found a water source but have no way of treating it and it is clear and free-flowing I say go ahead and drink it because most parasites take about three days to hatch out and infest your system, but at the same time most people who are stranded are rescued within three days, so if there's no other option, play those percentages!

Old-school fire starting! This is my Jeremiah Johnson kit, complete with an antique firesteel called a strike-a-light, flints, and Jute twine! Ain't it pretty?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/FSK.jpg

Yes, it is.

And special points for using the name "Jeremiah Johnson".

One of my all time favorite movies. Seen it about a billion times by now, and still enjoy it every time.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

I want to talk about knives a little more.

Quite understandable how you keep coming back to that topic in this thread.

Imo, a knife is the single most important survival tool a person could have.

If I was in a survival situation, and could have only ONE man-made tool in my possession, it would be a good knife, no doubt about it.

There is simply no other tool for a survival situation which is more all around useful to have than a good knife.

And, like you say multiple times in this thread, a "good" knife does not mean a "super expensive" one. On the contrary, real quality knives can be readily had for 30 bucks or less.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert