Survival and disaster preparedness

Jack Aubrey

About the above post:

Jack and I tend to use the term "survival situation" in different senses.

He is giving you all damned good advice about relatively short periods of time, like from days to weeks, whereas I tend to think in terms of longer periods when I hear the term "survival situation" -- as in End of the World Apocalypse that could last for years before the remnants of humanity can start to get its collective act back together again.

So, in long term situations, yeah, eat the pets if necessary. If in shorter terms, yeah, follow Jack's advice about keeping your pets alive till the emergency is over.

Especially if you love them.

Cute pets.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

I bet a dog has a great shoulder, rib rack, and hind quarters. But, I'd never eat MY dog.

Being 100% unprepared for this power outage really has me thinking about this stuff lately. I need to buy a generator. How do you wire it to your breaker box when you neednpower?

I bet a dog has a great shoulder, rib rack, and hind quarters. But, I'd never eat MY dog.

Being 100% unprepared for this power outage really has me thinking about this stuff lately. I need to buy a generator. How do you wire it to your breaker box when you neednpower?

Got to say, that I was thinking hard about the power going out during the recent snow/ice storm in South Carolina, and at one point I arrived at the thought: "damn, Rob, you like to think you are so prepared, but in reality you ain't prepared for shit. If the power goes out, you are going to think it sucks, big time."

In a true SHTF scenario, you don't need to be thinking about generators, imo. Good old fashioned wood burning is/will be the way to go.

If you don't have a fireplace (which are not all that great, being terribly innefficient), you can always get a wood burning stove -- useful as both a heat source and a cooking source, and much more efficient than a fireplace in terms of the amount of wood burned versus the amount of heat radiating into your living space.

Hell, EVEN IF you have a fireplace in your home, wood burning stove is still a better option.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

About the above post:

Jack and I tend to use the term "survival situation" in different senses.

He is giving you all damned good advice about relatively short periods of time, like from days to weeks, whereas I tend to think in terms of longer periods when I hear the term "survival situation" -- as in End of the World Apocalypse that could last for years before the remnants of humanity can start to get its collective act back together again.

So, in long term situations, yeah, eat the pets if necessary. If in shorter terms, yeah, follow Jack's advice about keeping your pets alive till the emergency is over.

Especially if you love them.

Cute pets.

To be honest, I do have long-term survival gear and supplies and three different bug-out locations! To that end my advice is to always top off your gas tank when it gets to 1/2, or "half is the new empty", as I like to say.

We lost power for 52 hours during the storm this week. Thankfully, I had 15 of these blankets on hand and they were a Godsend! Invest in some: http://www.buyemp.com/product/ready-heat-blankets

In a true SHTF scenario, you don't need to be thinking about generators, imo. Good old fashioned wood burning is/will be the way to go.

If you don't have a fireplace (which are not all that great, being terribly innefficient), you can always get a wood burning stove -- useful as both a heat source and a cooking source, and much more efficient than a fireplace in terms of the amount of wood burned versus the amount of heat radiating into your living space.

Hell, EVEN IF you have a fireplace in your home, wood burning stove is still a better option.

My husband and I have discussed burning our neighbor's house for emergency fuel. Stupid worthless low-life drug-dealing piece of shit. Of course he may blow it up himself first.

This is an excellent thread. Thanks for all this info JA (& others).

My pleasure! And if you have any questions, shoot. Remember: the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Stay prepared!

I read a little bit of this thread every time I come on these boards. I have learnt so many interesting & (I believe) valuable things that I wouldn't have known otherwise. Thanks to all who contribute, most especially Jack. Edited by Turbine Freight
  • Like 1

Firestarting methods for all you pyros out there! :D 1653630_735051746526008_1786143059_n.jpg
  • Like 2

Just in case y'all are interested (and if you're not I don't really blame you :D), here are my thoughts on the Discovery Channel's "survival" show, Naked & Afraid, from the thread of the same name over in Vid Vert:

It's pretty much the dumbest concept for a survival show I've ever seen. The risks of injury and hypo or hyperthermia are so much greater without clothes. The worst part is that these folks know they're goin' into this naked yet seem to have refused to learn how to fashion themselves basic coverings and shoes beforehand? Just idiotic. I've never been in a survival situation naked and I know how to do all that stuff, so what's their excuse? I watched the one which featured a guy who is a survival instructor at a very reputable survival school whose owner I'm acquainted with & respect, and he basically acted like a total whiny wuss the whole time and talked trash about the method his partner chose for starting a fire while making zero effort himself to try or even suggest an alternate method! Talk about lettin' down the Brotherhood! They just have these folks naked for the cheap titillation factor. If you like this show, then hey; knock yourself out and enjoy it. Just bear in mind that I am a professional survival instructor with hundreds of hours spent in the bush so I'm about as strongly biased as you can get on this subject.
What do y'all think of this or any other survival show?

Where does one find parachute cord?

Haven't seen it in any of my usual shopping places.

Walmart:

http://www.walmart.c...ry=550 paracord

I had no idea that Wal-Mart sold paracord! I saw that they carry the Nite-Ize brand and I've heard it's good stuff. FWIW, the only paracord I've ever bought is Rothco. I prefer it because it's made in America. I've extensively field-tested it, using it in dozens of applications and it's always performed well for me. http://www.rothco.co...rothco-Paracord I also recommend checking your local surplus stores if you haven't already. I always recommend getting a paracord bracelet and replacing you shoe or boot laces with paracord.

I was looking for some strong but thin rope for the canopy on our gazebo, the tie-downs always break after being submitted to the weather. I saw the para cord and remember you talking about it so I bought some. $5 for 50', great deal. Putting a bundle in each car also.

Check your local Army/Navy store.They will or should have it. I also carry duct tape and different types of fire starter any time I am out fishing ect. They all have saved my a** many times! I learned my lesson a long time ago that being over prepared is better than not being prepared for might and can happen in a split second. My friends used to rib me about all the stuff in my back pack. That's not the case any more. They had to at some point borrow some thing I was packing. :D

• Like 1

Walmart:

I had no idea that Wal-Mart sold paracord! I saw that they carry the Nite-Ize brand and I've heard it's good stuff. FWIW, the only paracord I've ever bought is Rothco. I prefer it because it's made in America. I've extensively field-tested it, using it in dozens of applications and it's always performed well for me. http://www.rothco.co...rothco-Paracord I also recommend checking your local surplus stores if you haven't already. I always recommend getting a paracord bracelet and replacing you shoe or boot laces with paracord.

I was looking for some strong but thin rope for the canopy on our gazebo, the tie-downs always break after being submitted to the weather. I saw the para cord and remember you talking about it so I bought some. $5 for 50', great deal. Putting a bundle in each car also.

Check your local Army/Navy store.They will or should have it. I also carry duct tape and different types of fire starter any time I am out fishing ect. They all have saved my a** many times! I learned my lesson a long time ago that being over prepared is better than not being prepared for might and can happen in a split second. My friends used to rib me about all the stuff in my back pack. That's not the case any more. They had to at some point borrow some thing I was packing. :D

Outstanding!

Walmart:

Outstanding!

Hope all is well Jack!

What do you recommend for a shot gun? Mostly for Bear encounters. I am leaning towards some type of Mossberg with a short barrel and a synthetic stock. I usually carry a .44 Magnum but I was fishing by myself last year in a place that I should of had a friend or two along. Had a run in with a Sow Gizzly and her cubs. Lucky for me I had time and space to back away. I felt safe with the hand gun but a few friends pack shot guns for this type of situation.

:cheers:

Walmart:

Outstanding!

Hope all is well Jack!

What do you recommend for a shot gun? Mostly for Bear encounters. I am leaning towards some type of Mossberg with a short barrel and a synthetic stock. I usually carry a .44 Magnum but I was fishing by myself last year in a place that I should of had a friend or two along. Had a run in with a Sow Gizzly and her cubs. Lucky for me I had time and space to back away. I felt safe with the hand gun but a few friends pack shot guns for this type of situation.

All is indeed well, thanks for askin'! The Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun! They recently got the military contract so they're doing something right. Fill that baby with slugs and you've got a great anti-bear weapon. When I was stationed in AK, I carried a Remington 870 loaded with slugs as my bush gun. I would've carried a Mossberg 500 if only they'd made 'em way back then. :D Also look into the Remington managed recoil ammo, it's a lot easier on your shoulder. Also, a company called Centurion makes buck & ball ammo, which is a .65" lead ball over 5 or 6 #1 buck pellets. Sounds pretty devastating. Here's a pretty good vid about 'em, the action starts around the 1 minute mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybvE961DLY&feature=player_detailpage Oh, PS: watch your six, Buddy! 1888505_737281459636370_2090797094_n.jpg

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 1

Y'all know not to buy these, right? Don't trust your life to a piece of junk! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06PH3e1T5uQ&feature=player_detailpage

If you're looking for a great knife and you're on a budget, consider a Mora. They're made of 1095 carbon steel (also known as 01 tool steel), come shaving-sharp right out of the box, and are super easy to sharpen thanks to the edge which is known as a "Scandi grind" carbon steel also holds an edge longer than stainless. The only thing you need to beware of with carbon steel is rust. You can take a little gun oil and a toothbrush and put a good layer of oil on it every three months or you can do what I do: just soak a rag in vinegar and fold it over the knife blade and let it sit for about six or seven hours. The vinegar will actually "blue" the blade (just like blueing a gun) and give it a nice patina that will protect it from rust. Mora's retail from about $13 to around $50 for their bushcraft model. There's only one problem with Mora knives and that is some of them aren't full tang so if you have one of the partial tang models you have to keep that in mind and remember it's most definitely not a rough-use knife. However, there are thousand of survivalist bushcrafter types out there who swear by them. In fact, survival expert Cody Lundin carries a Mora #1. I myself own three of them and like them a lot, I have the #1, the Companion, and the Allaround. Check 'em out: http://www.amazon.co...refix=mora ,aps Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 1

Walmart:

Outstanding!

Hope all is well Jack!

All is indeed well, thanks for askin'! The Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun! They recently got the military contract so they're doing something right. Fill that baby with slugs and you've got a great anti-bear weapon. When I was stationed in AK, I carried a Remington 870 loaded with slugs as my bush gun. I would've carried a Mossberg 500 if only they'd made 'em way back then. :D Also look into the Remington managed recoil ammo, it's a lot easier on your shoulder. Also, a company called Centurion makes buck & ball ammo, which is a .65" lead ball over 5 or 6 #1 buck pellets. Sounds pretty devastating. Here's a pretty good vid about 'em, the action starts around the 1 minute mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybvE961DLY&feature=player_detailpage Oh, PS: watch your six, Buddy! 1888505_737281459636370_2090797094_n.jpg

Thanks,

I will look in to it. I am looking to purchase some thing in about two months. Gees, that guy fishing looks almost exactly like a friend of mine. Steelhead fishing in southeast Alaska is an obsession of ours! :D

Edited by troutman

If you're looking for a great knife and you're on a budget, consider a Mora. They're made of 1095 carbon steel (also known as 01 tool steel), come shaving-sharp right out of the box, and are super easy to sharpen thanks to the edge which is known as a "Scandi grind" carbon steel also holds an edge longer than stainless. The only thing you need to beware of with carbon steel is rust. You can take a little gun oil and a toothbrush and put a good layer of oil on it every three months or you can do what I do: just soak a rag in vinegar and fold it over the knife blade and let it sit for about six or seven hours. The vinegar will actually "blue" the blade (just like blueing a gun) and give it a nice patina that will protect it from rust. Mora's retail from about $13 to around $50 for their bushcraft model. There's only one problem with Mora knives and that is some of them aren't full tang so if you have one of the partial tang models you have to keep that in mind and remember it's most definitely not a rough-use knife. However, there are thousand of survivalist bushcrafter types out there who swear by them. In fact, survival expert Cody Lundin carries a Mora #1. I myself own three of them and like them a lot, I have the #1, the Companion, and the Allaround. Check 'em out: http://www.amazon.co...refix=mora ,aps

Speaking of knives,

I have a really cool one I recieved as a gift many years ago. An Alaska native made it and the handle is carved out of walrus tusk if I am not mistaken. I have never used it and if your interested I would be more than happy to send it to you. The case does have my intials on it though. :P I just hate seeing it laying around for all of these years.

If you're looking for a great knife and you're on a budget, consider a Mora. They're made of 1095 carbon steel (also known as 01 tool steel), come shaving-sharp right out of the box, and are super easy to sharpen thanks to the edge which is known as a "Scandi grind" carbon steel also holds an edge longer than stainless. The only thing you need to beware of with carbon steel is rust. You can take a little gun oil and a toothbrush and put a good layer of oil on it every three months or you can do what I do: just soak a rag in vinegar and fold it over the knife blade and let it sit for about six or seven hours. The vinegar will actually "blue" the blade (just like blueing a gun) and give it a nice patina that will protect it from rust. Mora's retail from about $13 to around $50 for their bushcraft model. There's only one problem with Mora knives and that is some of them aren't full tang so if you have one of the partial tang models you have to keep that in mind and remember it's most definitely not a rough-use knife. However, there are thousand of survivalist bushcrafter types out there who swear by them. In fact, survival expert Cody Lundin carries a Mora #1. I myself own three of them and like them a lot, I have the #1, the Companion, and the Allaround. Check 'em out: http://www.amazon.co...refix=mora ,aps

Speaking of knives,

I have a really cool one I recieved as a gift many years ago. An Alaska native made it and the handle is carved out of walrus tusk if I am not mistaken. I have never used it and if your interested I would be more than happy to send it to you. The case does have my intials on it though. :P I just hate seeing it laying around for all of these years.

I would be honored sir! Thank you so much. I promise it will have a good home, see good use, and be well-maintained. In return I'd be glad to send you some items from my "survival stash". :D PM incoming.

Speaking of knives,

I would be honored sir! Thank you so much. I promise it will have a good home, see good use, and be well-maintained. In return I'd be glad to send you some items from my "survival stash". :D PM incoming.

Sounds good,

It's in perfect condition. Never been used. I will have to dig around in my gear to find it. I leave on Thursday for vacation so it might me after I get back. :cheers:

Edited by troutman

Jack, I could use your advice here now that tornado and storm season is here and promising to be quite active.

We live in a 1500 sf townhouse that literally does not have a single room that doesn't have an outside wall and/or window (and we are an end unit as well). No basement, and even the closet under the stairs has an outside wall. Moving isn't in the cards for us, so what do you suggest if we need to take cover? We recently had the downstairs tub ripped out and replaced with a tiled step-in shower; it has glass doors PLUS there's a skylight in there!

We were very narrowly missed by one a couple of years ago; I was home alone and all I could think to do was take the dogs into the bedroom closet with me. It still has an outside wall, but at least there are no windows.

Jack, I could use your advice here now that tornado and storm season is here and promising to be quite active.

what do you suggest if we need to take cover?

Try hiding under your Rush CD collection. They've made a lot of them

We live in a 1500 sf townhouse that literally does not have a single room that doesn't have an outside wall and/or window (and we are an end unit as well). No basement, and even the closet under the stairs has an outside wall. Moving isn't in the cards for us, so what do you suggest if we need to take cover? We recently had the downstairs tub ripped out and replaced with a tiled step-in shower; it has glass doors PLUS there's a skylight in there!

We were very narrowly missed by one a couple of years ago; I was home alone and all I could think to do was take the dogs into the bedroom closet with me. It still has an outside wall, but at least there are no windows.

You did the right thing, from your description that would be the best place to hole up. My suggestion would be to consult a contractor about shoring up that closet or perhaps another room in your house. You can get steel shutters that drop down over your windows, they're a bit ugly but they work. I got into the bedroom closet with the dog myself once when we had a tornado warning about two years ago (my wife was out of town) so I can relate. I was in there with a radio, flashlight, shotgun, a chew bone for Sam, and a bottle of water. It's a walk-in so we had a good amount of room. Thank God the warning was lifted after about 20 minutes.