The Who

Earthshine

Is there any trying to follow The Ox?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any trying to follow The Ox?

• Nobody! - The Who should have quit in 2002!
    • Pino Palladino - Has played with TONS of people.
    • Geddy Lee - Has always loved The Who.
    • John Myung - Dream Theater can imitate ANYBODY!
    • Don't call The Who "The Who" anymore.

When Keith Moon passed away that was really the end of the genuine Who. But they carried on anyway. However, at least they thought about the future and did not even get another drummer for almost a year. When John Entwistle passed away, they did not even have the respect for him to cancel the Las Vegas shows and go home, grieve and really pay respect to John. They immediately called up Pino Palladino and played gigs. I lost a great amount of respect for Townshend and Daltrey. I have nothing at all against Pino and any other drummer who played in the band post-Moonie.

I also found it disgusting when I read that Daltrey said that John's passing "actually helped them" because they never got anything done when he was around. I cannot believe he said that though and think it must have been 1) Taken out of context or 2) Never said it at all. ohmy.gif

But should anyone be playing bass with The Who? If so who? rofl3.gif

As much as i love them and they still put on a good show , it should have been over when The Ox died .

Since Geddy and Myung already have full-time gigs, I'd choose Pino from those choices.

There'd be others they could go with, like Jeff Berlin or Stu Hamm or Randy Coven, but they might be better with a Brit.

That quote must have been taken out of context, I can't see Roger saying that.

After John died, they should have either quite, or called it Townshend & Daltry or something like that. Its just not the same Who we all know and love.

Pino is a great player but his style is the complete opposite of Johns. I still don't know why they keep him around. Seeing Geddy play with The Who would be perfect.

I love the Who, have seen them a dozen times over the years, and think they should have hung them up after The Ox died.

Or, at least they should have stopped calling themselves The Who.

I saw them a couple of years ago at the Wachovia Center in Philly (a great place to see a show with superb sound), and they didn't sound so great that night. I don't know if I just saw a one-off bad performance. But, Pete can't hear himself play anymore. They have some dude in the back of the stage helping out on guitar. Roger will sing no matter how bad his voice sounds. And they just miss Entwistle. The sounds that came out of that guy's bass guitar were phenomenal, and very underrated IMO. Their age was beginning to show that night too, Roger missed a verse in "Who Are You" and half the song was out of whack. Pete was laughing as he watched Roger struggle to get the song back to where it was supposed to be. laugh.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 29 2010, 01:36 PM)
they should of quit after keith but for bass players I would say Billy Sheehan or Chris Squire.

You know, I totally accepted The Who with Kenney Jones and Zack Starkey. The sound was great. Moon gave them a distinct sound and rhythm, but as a drummer he was quite flashy and loose. The percussion was not hard to reproduce. When Entwistle died, the sound died. I have heard them twice now with Pino and it just sounds weak. WEAK.

You said Sheehan or Squire, and I gotta say that you are brilliant. I was just about to say that they needed to hang it up, but Chris Squire should call up Pete and offer his services. Of all the bass players out there, he could nail that sound and intensity more than anyone that I can think of. Squire could be their answer. He's the only guy I can think of that plays and sounds like John Entwistle.

Sheehan can do it, i saw him in a Who tribute with Portnoy . Billy nailed everything but i don't think Pete would be into his stage volume . He play's LOUD

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 30 2010, 04:04 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 29 2010, 05:39 PM)
Sheehan can do it, i saw him in a Who tribute with Portnoy .

Is there any band that Portnoy does not have a tribute to? rofl3.gif

He did 4 . Dream Theater did a shit load of songs but Portnoy ,just the 4

Archived