• Eddie Jobson
    • Allen Sloan
    • Mark O'Connor
    • Papa John Creech
    • Ben Mink
    • Charlie Daniels
    • Boyd Tinsley
    • Other (who?)

In today's world, the violin is barely used. Most kids today don't have the patience to learn it, or it is seen as too uncool.

But there are some great violinists out there in non-classical music. Who is your favorite and why?

Left out Steve Kinder by accident. Put him in "other".

Im only really familar with Goodman, Ponty and Sloan. I know the guy from Knsas, but always thought of him more as a band guy than an outright monster player, though obviously he can tear.

boyd from dave matthews band doesn't deserve to be on the same list w/ goodman & ponty. i saw DMB in the 90's (hey, free tix), and his lame hoedown pentatonic sawing was like nails on a blackboard, whata hack. only thing worse was daves vocals. it was painful, despite the awesome rhythm section.

I went with Charlie. His new music has pretty much sucked since the mid 80's but prior to that he was great. Nightrider and Fire on the Mountain are as good as it gets as southern rock. Not just a fiddle player either.

Not listed but perhaps all my time fave is Steve Wickham. He has recorded with The Waterboys, Hot House Flowers, Elvis Costello, U2 etc. etc.

He is probably best known for being an on again off again member of The Waterboys.

Fishermans Blues

we will not be lovers

plus Bluegrass rules!

Man! Sorry about forgetting from Robbie Steinhardt from Kansas and Mik Kaminski from ELO. Was not familiar with Steve Wickham. I knew there had to be some I was overlooking and forgetting. I agree about Boyd not deserving to be on the same list with Goodman and Ponty. But there are tons of Dave Matthews fans out there so I listed him.

My favorite is Jerry Goodman. Jean Luc Ponty is a close second. Saw him in 1983 and he was great.

You guys are smart! 4 votes for Charlie Daniels. This guy is the best period.

I am sure a lot of you have seen that Geico commercial where Charlie rips through a serious kick ass fiddle jam. "That's how it's done son."

No one can touch him.

Signed,

"The Devil Went Down To Georgia" 1022.gif

I can't believe Daniels is winning this poll! z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Does anybody really think he has the ability to improv and solo in the same league as Goodman, Ponty, and O'Connor? And L. Shankar? Has anybody here ever heard of Shakti? Has Dream Theater heard of them? z7shysterical.gif

I voted "other". Pinchas Zuckerman, to be precise. (I know, he doesn't count because he's a classical orchestral violinist. But he is still my favorite. A very nice man, too).

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 19 2010, 11:41 PM)
I voted "other". Pinchas Zuckerman, to be precise. (I know, he doesn't count because he's a classical orchestral violinist. But he is still my favorite. A very nice man, too).

Sorry I did not include him, but I have heard his name no doubt.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 19 2010, 09:37 PM)
I can't believe Daniels is winning this poll! z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Does anybody really think he has the ability to improv and solo in the same league as Goodman, Ponty, and O'Connor? And L. Shankar? Has anybody here ever heard of Shakti? Has Dream Theater heard of them? z7shysterical.gif

Ponty was my first synapse, but Charlie Daniels can play like the Devil.

Billy Currie of Ultravox. yes.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 19 2010, 11:37 PM)
I can't believe Daniels is winning this poll!  z7shysterical.gif  z7shysterical.gif

Does anybody really think he has the ability to improv and solo in the same league as Goodman, Ponty, and O'Connor? And L. Shankar? Has anybody here ever heard of Shakti? Has Dream Theater heard of them?  z7shysterical.gif

sure, why not?

what makes you think he can't hang? Maybe you should listen to a bit more Charlie before you slight his playing ability. He has played as a studio musician for some of the biggest names in rock.

besides you asked for favorite not who is technically the best.

I just learned this morning that Charlie suffered a mild stroke out in CO.

get well soon Charlie!

1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif common001.gif

so many good ones out there !

Here is one that falls under other...

David Ragsdale of Kansas ! 1022.gif

Archived