As a non-Blu-ray owner....

Presto-digitation

...who is considering finally getting a player, how much noticability is the DVD up-conversion on a Blu-ray machine?

Do know about me that I'm not audio or videophile, so if that's YOU, you probably notice things that I don't.

For instance, while I still have my CDs I listen to an ipod and I'm fine with it. Audiophiles typically don't like them. I'm not one who thinks it sounds horrible, etc. I have Bose headphones, which audio folks have dubbed "buy other sound equipment" and I'm fine with those too. I don't need $500 studio quality cans. I've literally got a $150 cheap ass Sony surround sound whose speakers sit on the TV stand all bunched together because I'm too lazy to elevate and put them where I can best optimize the sound.

That is what you're dealing with here.

However, that said I simply cannot watch a movie on VHS anymore...if that's any suggestion of hope for me. I've owned a DVD player for almost 8 years and enjoy the crap out of it so much that I can't even play and enjoy an old VHS tapes. I have no patience for the drop in quality there.

Just last year for the very first time I got a 1080p HD TV (mid-sized), so I'm not watching on grandpa's old console TV.

Lastly I have NO INTENTION of replacing my DVD collection with Blu-Ray discs. I simply don't need to have Tootsie or Caddyshack or Annie Hall on Blu-ray. However I would plan to upgrade great visual films like Lord Of The Rings or Peter Jackson's King Kong and films like that.

So mostly my question comes in the form of how much more noticeable will my DVDs be improved on a Blu-ray player or is it just an up-convert only AV-philes get off on?

Thanks in advance..!

trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 13 2010, 11:15 AM)
...who is considering finally getting a player, how much noticability is the DVD up-conversion on a Blu-ray machine?

Do know about me that I'm not audio or videophile, so if that's YOU, you probably notice things that I don't.

For instance, while I still have my CDs I listen to an ipod and I'm fine with it. Audiophiles typically don't like them. I'm not one who thinks it sounds horrible, etc. I have Bose headphones, which audio folks have dubbed "buy other sound equipment" and I'm fine with those too. I don't need $500 studio quality cans. I've literally got a $150 cheap ass Sony surround sound whose speakers sit on the TV stand all bunched together because I'm too lazy to elevate and put them where I can best optimize the sound.

However, that said I simply cannot watch a movie on VHS anymore...if that's any suggestion of hope for me. I've owned a DVD player for almost 8 years and enjoy the crap out of it so much that I can't even play and enjoy an old VHS tapes. I have no patience for the drop in quality there.

Just last year for the very first time I got a 1080p HD TV (mid-sized), so I'm not watching on grandpa's old console TV.

Lastly I have NO INTENTION of replacing my DVD collection with Blu-Ray discs. I simply don't need to have Tootsie or Caddyshack or Annie Hall on Blu-ray. However I would plan to upgrade great visual films like Lord Of The Rings or Peter Jackson's King Kong and films like that.

So mostly my question comes in the form of how much more noticeable will my DVDs be improved on a Blu-ray player or is it just an up-convert only AV-philes get off on?

Thanks in advance..!

trink39.gif

I have Bose headphones, which audio folks have dubbed "buy other sound equipment" and I'm fine with those too.

Screw the audio shobs, Bose rocks! I have Bose surround sound speakers and a wave radio/cd player and they all sound great!

The DVD upscaling that enabled BluRay players provide is very very good actually, like surprisingly good!

I also have quite the back catalog of DVDs and have no plans to replace them unless they are maybe the super duper awesome crazy video quality and special effects epic movies. I would replace The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars films, that is about it! Otherwise as I said the DVD upscaling is awesome and there is no need.

For the record I'd assume that DVD upscaling is pretty similar across BluRay players, but my experience has been with Playstation 3 and I can personally attest how great it works.

That is also what I'd recommend as a player. PlayStation 3 is an amazing BluRay player and multimedia player, even if you don't intent to use it for and/many video games.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 13 2010, 11:39 AM)
The DVD upscaling that enabled BluRay players provide is very very good actually, like surprisingly good!

I also have quite the back catalog of DVDs and have no plans to replace them unless they are maybe the super duper awesome crazy video quality and special effects epic movies.  I would replace The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars films, that is about it!  Otherwise as I said the DVD upscaling is awesome and there is no need.

For the record I'd assume that DVD upscaling is pretty similar across BluRay players, but my experience has been with Playstation 3 and I can personally attest how great it works.

That is also what I'd recommend as a player.  PlayStation 3 is an amazing BluRay player and multimedia player, even if you don't intent to use it for and/many video games.

trink39.gif

Let's assume I buy a reasonable/cheap $150 Sony Blu-ray, for shits and giggles instead. tongue.gif (likely)

Thanks for the comments. I'm simply trying to parse through the idea that the upgrade is worth it (or not) if I already have a functioning DVD player. Noticeable...enough? Sounds like Godeater thinks so.

Keep 'em coming..!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 13 2010, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 13 2010, 11:27 AM)
Screw the audio shobs

What's an "audio shob"? confused13.gif

I meant "snob".

Can I hire you as my proofreader? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 13 2010, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 13 2010, 12:07 PM)
Screw the audio shobs

I meant "snob".

Can I hire you as my proofreader? laugh.gif

Sure, if there's a steady paycheck in it. laugh.gif

Figured that's what you meant (given the proximity of "h" and "n" on the keyboard), I was just messin' with ya.....

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 13 2010, 11:54 AM)
Let's assume I buy a reasonable/cheap $150 Sony Blu-ray, for shits and giggles instead.  tongue.gif  (likely)

The most common blu-ray advice I hear is to pay a little more ($299) and just get a PS3.

I've been avoiding this temptation myself, because I can see myself spending way too much time on the games. scared.gif

But when I go blu-ray, it probably will be the PS3. I think it's supposed to be the best overall blu-ray unit, regardless of the game aspect.

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 13 2010, 01:07 PM)
Screw the audio shobs

Someone who shobs audio. yes.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 13 2010, 04:46 PM)
If you are unsure, get a PS3!  It does it all.

That's what I was saying. Sure it may be an extra hundred bucks but Presto obviously spends time on the Internet, nothing in the same price spectrum plays multimedia better than a PS3.

Maybe you don't think you need it now, but the first time you grab some old metal vids off your PC and plunk them on a memory stick, or your tunes or some movie or tv show maybe you downloaded and you see how awesome the PS3 plays all that stuff right on your HD tv? I think you'd be thrilled man.

edit: I should add at our household we probably use the PS3 for this more than games and proper DVDs/BluRays combined.

Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 13 2010, 11:15 AM)

For instance, while I still have my CDs I listen to an ipod and I'm fine with it.  Audiophiles typically don't like them.  I'm not one who thinks it sounds horrible, etc.  I have Bose headphones, which audio folks have dubbed "buy other sound equipment" and I'm fine with those too.  I don't need $500 studio quality cans.  I've literally got a $150 cheap ass Sony surround sound whose speakers sit on the TV stand all bunched together because I'm too lazy to elevate and put them where I can best optimize the sound.

However, that said I simply cannot watch a movie on VHS anymore...if that's any suggestion of hope for me.  I've owned a DVD player for almost 8 years and enjoy the crap out of it so much that I can't even play and enjoy an old VHS tapes.  I have no patience for the drop in quality there.

Lastly I have NO INTENTION of replacing my DVD collection with Blu-Ray discs.  I simply don't need to have Tootsie or Caddyshack or Annie Hall on Blu-ray.  However I would plan to upgrade great visual films like Lord Of The Rings or Peter Jackson's King Kong and films like that

Thanks in advance..!

trink39.gif

I have Bose headphones, which audio folks have dubbed "buy other sound equipment" and I'm fine with those too.

Screw the audio shobs, Bose rocks! I have Bose surround sound speakers and a wave radio/cd player and they all sound great!

I have to agree... Last year, I bit the bullet & invested in a Bose Lifestyle system. It rocks...really rocks, and I've yet to hear anything I like better.

And, you will see a difference in DVD's when played in a Blu ray player.

P-d, you and I may be related.

I have no interest in scrapping the perfectly good DVD player I have now for a blu-ray. If I still had VHS only, then yes, maybe.

My current TV's are both still flat-tube (as opposed to true flat-screen with plasma or LCD). One is 27", the other is 23". They are fine for my purpose and both will last years longer than either the plasma or the LCD. (Now, I wouldn't mind having a huge theater-sized flat screen hanging on the wall in front of the workout equipment, just because. But someone will have to give me one. cool.gif )

And yes, both TVs ARE color.

There was a time, I guess, when this kind of thing was really important to me. . .it just isn't now. And my hearing sucks anyway, so there's no point in having elite-tier audio equipment!

Oh, and I do not game. At all. I know admitting that on a Rush board is almost heresy, but it's true. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 15 2010, 08:08 AM)
I have no interest in scrapping the perfectly good DVD player I have now for a blu-ray. If I still had VHS only, then yes, maybe.

My current TV's are both still flat-tube (as opposed to true flat-screen with plasma or LCD). One is 27", the other is 23". They are fine for my purpose and both will last years longer than either the plasma or the LCD. (Now, I wouldn't mind having a huge theater-sized flat screen hanging on the wall in front of the workout equipment, just because. But someone will have to give me one. cool.gif )

There was a time, I guess, when this kind of thing was really important to me. . .it just isn't now. And my hearing sucks anyway, so there's no point in having elite-tier audio equipment!

Oh, and I do not game. At all. I know admitting that on a Rush board is almost heresy, but it's true. ph34r.gif

Actually I'm the same way...

The only games I play are Rock Band on the Wii, and WarioWare Touched on my son's DS. laugh.gif

We have a couple of "old-timey" regular TVs, one for the Wii, and one for my son's room, and we have a pretty nice 32" TV with a flatter screen, but it's not a flat screen TV, if that makes any sense.

I mostly get pissed that Blu-ray even exists...yet another change that we all have to get used to, at least for some content. Like R-30...ONLY on Blu-ray? Sucks.

Since I cannot sell you on a PS3 let me at least have you avoid buying a Samsung BluRay player!

My father also didn't take my PS3 advice and got a Samsung player since he is so happy with his Samsung HD tv. Well let's just say out of the box the goddamn thing would only play (I kid you not) about 50 percent of BluRays discs! Since my dad doesn't have the Internet for firmware updates they wound up sending him an update disc, which corrected some of the BluRay issues but still 1/3 wouldn't play, so he waited and eventually got *another* update disc in the mail then had to get *another* and *another*. Over a year later he still had 1/4 of his discs wouldn't play, he was sick of the pointless updates and wasting his time on the phone. They would not replace the unit let alone refund his money... He eventually threw that f**ker in the garbage.

This Christmas myself and siblings all chipped in to buy him a PS3. He is soooo happy with it. After we set it up for him he went through EVERY one of his BluRay discs one at a time making sure they would work, he was so convinced that BluRay in general was screwed due to his Samsung experience.

He is very happy it works so well, and loves the several dozen movies and thousand family photos we threw on his hard drive for him also.

Anyways seriously man, avoid a Samsung player. I think you were leanign towards a Sony player, I haven't read a lot of reviews since I already have my BluRay player but read before you buy, and I'd guess that the Sony players are the best. They did invent BluRay after all.

Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 15 2010, 10:31 AM)
I have no interest in scrapping the perfectly good DVD player I have now for a blu-ray.  If I still had VHS only, then yes, maybe.

My current TV's are both still flat-tube (as opposed to true flat-screen with plasma or LCD).  One is 27", the other is 23".  They are fine for my purpose and both will last years longer than either the plasma or the LCD.  (Now, I wouldn't mind having a huge theater-sized flat screen hanging on the wall in front of the workout equipment, just because.  But someone will have to give me one.  cool.gif  )

There was a time, I guess, when this kind of thing was really important to me. . .it just isn't now.  And my hearing sucks anyway, so there's no point in having elite-tier audio equipment!

Oh, and I do not game.  At all.  I know admitting that on a Rush board is almost heresy, but it's true.  ph34r.gif

The only games I play are Rock Band on the Wii, and WarioWare Touched on my son's DS. laugh.gif

We have a couple of "old-timey" regular TVs, one for the Wii, and one for my son's room, and we have a pretty nice 32" TV with a flatter screen, but it's not a flat screen TV, if that makes any sense.

I mostly get pissed that Blu-ray even exists...yet another change that we all have to get used to, at least for some content. Like R-30...ONLY on Blu-ray? Sucks.

I hate that. And I have no interest in paying Dish Network extra money to upgrade to HD. HD? BFD.

Sorry, P-D. I'm being no help here, am I?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 15 2010, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 15 2010, 10:31 AM)
I have no interest in scrapping the perfectly good DVD player I have now for a blu-ray.  If I still had VHS only, then yes, maybe.

My current TV's are both still flat-tube (as opposed to true flat-screen with plasma or LCD).  One is 27", the other is 23".  They are fine for my purpose and both will last years longer than either the plasma or the LCD.  (Now, I wouldn't mind having a huge theater-sized flat screen hanging on the wall in front of the workout equipment, just because.  But someone will have to give me one.  cool.gif  )

There was a time, I guess, when this kind of thing was really important to me. . .it just isn't now.  And my hearing sucks anyway, so there's no point in having elite-tier audio equipment!

Oh, and I do not game.  At all.  I know admitting that on a Rush board is almost heresy, but it's true.  ph34r.gif

I hate that. And I have no interest in paying Dish Network extra money to upgrade to HD. HD? BFD.

Sorry, P-D. I'm being no help here, am I?

LOL..! That's ok. Also had a laugh about us being related Mara. We're close in age, so it's possible. biggrin.gif wink.gif

I do have to say I BROKE DOWN and bought a Blu-ray player (nicely reviewed Panasonic for $129) yesterday....as well as 5 BR discs (Bram Stoker's Dracula, the new Star Trek, Interview With A Vampire, The Dark Knight, and Inglorious Basterds)...and I have to say I'm impressed.

So...recommended to any and everyone, including you too Mara...(sis). biggrin.gif Even my DVDs look really stellar.

biggrin.gif The ps3 has an excellent blu-ray player, along with playing dvd's, cd's, able to download movies, music, etc. Not to mention the gaming's incredible graphics, (it plays ps, ps2 also), going online (this thing needs updates just like your pc). If I didn't already have a blu-ray I would cop a ps3 in a heartbeat. Blu-Ray looks and sounds amazing, the volume and clarity will blow you away! You get so much more for your money and for what you'd pay for a good blu-ray player, you're getting a complete gaming system, online capabilities, multi-media server too! We've had ours for 2 years and love it!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 17 2010, 06:11 PM)
listen to Mr. G. Eater and get a PS3........

Too late. But the good news is the one I bought actually reviewed well, works, and works well too!!! (posted on the previous page) After reading "PS3 only!!" I wondered if the dad-blamed thing would even turn on for me, let alone read the discy thangies. To my shock and awe, it worked. It worked!!!!!

It is funny, though, when you intentionally preface things (not in the OP but early in the thread anyhow) with "Look, I don't have the money to get a PS3, so pleeeease don't pimp that one to me" that nearly everyone comes back with that as the recommendation. I'm neither interested in the online connection or the multi-media capacity of it all....and I detest playing video games. I have far too many time-sucks as it is. Beyond that I simply didn't have the money for one, which really should've ended that conversation. wink.gif

It's a bit like saying that you're car shopping and can you recommend a car to me that's not a Bentley or Bentley-priced...and the answers you get are "you really should buy a Bentley." biggrin.gif Like that's the only viable option....get a Bentley or take public transportation.

Anyhow, I appreciate the input just the same....and I'm enjoying my new player (and a few handfuls of discs) quite well. trink39.gif