I'm sorry, but I'm going to rant!

ILSnwdog

So, I have noticed a new trend and it is driving me nuts. What's with these big, giant, fat people riding these motorized carts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Motorized_shopping_cart.jpg

They have these at our supermarkets now. And it's not handicapped people using them...it's these giant lazy fat people. I'm sorry, but if you are over weight, wouldn't it make sense to get a little exercise by walking up and down the isle and pushing a cart? Have you gotten so lazy that you will deprive someone who is truly in need of the cart just so you don't have to walk? It really got to me this weekend while I was at the grocery store. I saw a lady who couldn't reach a box of cereal that she wanted. It was the last box in the row on the top shelf. I'm 6'3", so I knew I wouldn't have a problem grabbing it and offered to get it for her. She was very appreciative. Then down the isle was one of these "large" people on the motorized cart, and she asked me if I could grab a box of cereal off of the top shelf for her. The thing was, it was easily within her reach. All she had to do was stand up. rage.gif She had to of walked into the store to get her fat ass to the scooter. Was she so put out by the walk that she couldn't reach for a box of cereal. sarcasm.gif

And when I was in Disney World a couple of months ago, there were fat people on these scooters all over the park. It reminded me of the people on the space ship in the movie WALL-E.

So, am I being a jerk? Or are these people just being ridiculously lazy? confused13.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

z7shysterical.gif

Mainly because I agree with you 100%! The interesting thing is that they're not ONLY not getting the exercise they need, they're buying foods that are likely high in sugar, salt and or fat while riding around. And they want ME to pay for THEIR healthcare? I think not.

I just weighed in this morning. I didn't want to, because I hadn't faced this in a long, long time. But I faced the scale, and it said 289. I am only 6' tall, and I feel 10 years older because of all the extra baggage. I have a plan in place to drop 60 pounds by August. It can be done, but it takes careful, planned eating and some exercise. My life is miserable because I am overweight, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to do something about it. And I sure am NOT going to be sitting in a cart designed for the physically disabled while I am still physically able.

Darwin would have said that those fat people should have two evolutionary options. The drive for food would compel them to stand and walk around and get food thereby surviving and becoming more physically strong, or that they would starve to death for the greater good of our already perilous gene pool.

I sure don't understand this crap any more than I am bewildered by dozens of cars lined up for coffee drive through idling their gas guzzling cars. Physically able people on a nice day idling their cars for their stupid coffee. For shame. What I can understand is the stores providing these sort of "services". If market research shows that 1 in 1000 people or too fat and lazy to walk, then by first bringing to market AFVs (all fatty vehicles) then this all but assures them the business of these customers, and I'm guessing they eat a lot.

That is all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 01:58 PM)
Whatever happened to the old adage of walking a mile in someone's shoes before judging them? That, btw, is not an invitation for more ridiculing of people.

But they don't walk. They scoot. wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 5 2010, 02:19 PM)
Whatever happened to the old adage of walking a mile in someone's shoes before judging them?  That, btw, is not an invitation for more ridiculing of people.

laugh.gif

These inventions were made because a lot of people when they are obese (not just a lil overweight I mean dangerous to your health overweight) their leg and lower back muscles haven't developed enough strength to support all of the extra weight they are being forced to carry around. When they walk the damage that is done to their knees and muscles in the back and legs is very painful and can overtime cause damage that can only be fixed with surgery.

First of all they need to have some major changes made to their diet and do muscle exercises to build up the strength in those areas because they support the weight of the entire body.

So while I agree with you that these people should get some exercise, it's not really possible to do so without causing further damage in some cases.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 5 2010, 03:19 PM)
Whatever happened to the old adage of walking a mile in someone's shoes before judging them?  That, btw, is not an invitation for more ridiculing of people.

Scoot a mile in someones shoes before judging them ! z7shysterical.gif

Maybe in some cases it is necessary, but reading your first post made me think of Wall-e before I even got to that part of your post.

People need to try a little harder to be active. There is no reason for a market to make these available for general use. If seems silly to me.

I can see it now, chaos in the snack food isle !

on the overhead...

"We have a head to head collision in isle 5. There are Ho Ho's all over the floor. Call Jimmy for clean up."

z7shysterical.gif

Whatever happened to the old adage of walking a mile in someone's shoes before judging them? That, btw, is not an invitation for more ridiculing of people.

Maybe the adage needs to be changed, since nobody is walking here.

But to your point, I agree. You never know what may be wrong with people, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they are in their appearance.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 5 2010, 12:31 PM)

But to your point, I agree. You never know what may be wrong with people, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they are in their appearance.

It's easier to ridicule people's suffering without understanding what they go through than it is to have compassion.

Don't you love it when you see someone like this with their scooter in the all you can eat buffet line at Golden Corral? Usually hooked up to an oxygen tank, these people are literally committing suicide by eating themselves to death. I wonder at what point one discovers that they have a problem.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 5 2010, 03:31 PM)

Agreed. Perhaps these should be made available to people who have a medical condition, and have some kind of handicap card from a doctor stating they need to use one. It would be like a handicap sticker for your car, and it would stop just plain lazy people from using one simply because they don't want to walk.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 02:37 PM)

It's easier to ridicule people's suffering without understanding what they go through than it is to have compassion.

Don't confuse compassion with sympathy, though. Some people truly have no control on their health, while others do and choose horribly every day. I don't like the 'you get what you deserve' attitude, but you can't expect me to feel sorry either. It's those folks who truly need someone in their lives to inspire them to make changes, as they are not strong enough to make those choices for themselves. That's compassion.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 5 2010, 02:37 PM)
Don't you love it when you see someone like this with their scooter in the all you can eat buffet line at Golden Corral? Usually hooked up to an oxygen tank, these people are literally committing suicide by eating themselves to death. I wonder at what point one discovers that they have a problem.

Yeah it's like "I'm obviously decripit and dying, but screw it I'm going to eat like a pig anyway. And besides, if it gets worse, I could just get another pill from the doctor".

This is a big issue I used to have out with my dad when he was over 400 pounds and refused all medical help. He ultimately had a heart attack and died, and from that point on I resolved not to be like him in this way. It is an intense struggle for me though, and I've gotten away from the goals I had set for myself. But come Summer, I look forward to being back at a respectable weight.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 5 2010, 02:37 PM)

Yes, it's easy to judge based on appearance, and it's easy to be insensitive. Perhaps those overweight people ILS saw had some sort of hormonal or glandular imbalance and they can't help but gain weight and not be able to lose it. No way to know unless you ask them, and asking them really isn't an option.

But, America has way too many people who are obese by choice. They eat nothing but processed, fatty foods. I lost count of how many times I've been in the market and saw obese people loading up their carts with frozen dinners (like Healthy Choice -- irony alert!), snack cakes (Debbie's not so Little after eating those), ice cream, Wonder bread, soda, and maybe some canned veggies (veggies are useless nutritionally once they're canned). Their carts are devoid of anything healthy -- no fresh veggies except for maybe some iceberg lettuce (iceberg is nutritionally empty except for some fiber and water), no whole grain breads, no bottled water, no fresh fruit. And when you see those people at the wholesale clubs, you see them buying the same things, only in bulk quantities! How convenient!

So, sympathy for those who are in the minority and truly can't avoid gaining weight because of some medical condition. No sympathy for those who just don't give a shit about themselves. You are what you eat!

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 5 2010, 12:40 PM)

Don't confuse compassion with sympathy, though. Some people truly have no control on their health, while others do and choose horribly every day. I don't like the 'you get what you deserve' attitude, but you can't expect me to feel sorry either. It's those folks who truly need someone in their lives to inspire them to make changes, as they are not strong enough to make those choices for themselves. That's compassion.

That's a very fair point, but it doesn't mean that we need to harshly judge people either (I'm not saying you are). It's not like any of us is perfect.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 5 2010, 01:18 PM)
So, I have noticed a new trend and it is driving me nuts.  What's with these big, giant, fat people riding these motorized carts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Motorized_shopping_cart.jpg

They have these at our supermarkets now.  And it's not handicapped people using them...it's these giant lazy fat people.  I'm sorry, but if you are over weight, wouldn't it make sense to get a little exercise by walking up and down the isle and pushing a cart?  Have you gotten so lazy that you will deprive someone who is truly in need of the cart just so you don't have to walk?  It really got to me this weekend while I was at the grocery store.  I saw a lady who couldn't reach a box of cereal that she wanted.  It was the last box in the row on the top shelf.  I'm 6'3", so I knew I wouldn't have a problem grabbing it and offered to get it for her.  She was very appreciative.  Then down the isle was one of these "large" people on the motorized cart, and she asked me if I could grab a box of cereal off of the top shelf for her.  The thing was, it was easily within her reach.  All she had to do was stand up.  rage.gif  She had to of walked into the store to get her fat ass to the scooter.  Was she so put out by the walk that she couldn't reach for a box of cereal.  sarcasm.gif

And when I was in Disney World a couple of months ago, there were fat people on these scooters all over the park.  It reminded me of the people on the space ship in the movie WALL-E.

So, am I being a jerk?  Or are these people just being ridiculously lazy?  confused13.gif

Happens at my Wal-Mart all the time. I hardly ever see actual handicapped people using them - only overly large people....it bugs me, because they then expect me to come around and unload that cart for them cause they can't get up to do it themselves angry.gif

*edited* to include that, being overweight myself, I know that it can be strenuous to walk around for long periods of time, but carts can be leaned upon when shopping...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 10:43 AM)

That's a very fair point, but it doesn't mean that we need to harshly judge people either (I'm not saying you are). It's not like any of us is perfect.

Thanks Dr. Phil laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 5 2010, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 10:43 AM)

Thanks Dr. Phil laugh.gif tongue.gif

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 5 2010, 02:40 PM)

That's a great point. But those people who need help and guidance have to be willing to accept the help. I know people who are obese, know they need to lose weight, have people willing to bend over backwards to help them, but they are too set in their ways to make the big step and change their diet. It's a shame.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 02:43 PM)

But also, there is going to be that percentage of people, who are really that 'fat and lazy' that they would ride these things as a means of convenience aside from need. And would also fall into the 'help do something for me' mentality from riding in one of them, that they expect someone else to reach for that high item, or assist in emptying their cart. To me, that's kind of sickening. But unless you are 100% certain that is the case, you can't judge, and you can act on that judgment. Then you're wrong.

I guess I was beaten to the scooting joke. I was going to say "or I guess I this case driving one mile through the ice cream section of a grocery store on your AFV."

I vehemently support parking spaces for disabled people, accessibility ramps and all that stuff - can't spend enough taxpayer cash to help those people if you ask me. Aside from all those people with legitimate issues however is an underlying problem in society where we actually enable people to be lazy.

Someone who *is* fat and lazy and doesn't give a crap enough to even try basic exercise like walking to the end of the driveway to check the mail or waddle around the grocery store for 20 mins to get their food? Come on man! We aren't helping those people by giving them motorized vehicles to wheel them around a grocery store any more than we should build those crazy automated walkways everywhere like they have in airports or Vegas. Yeah some people have legitimate issues but aside from that small percentage of people the fact is rife especially here in North America we are suffering from pathetic lazy people with enormous senses of entitlement. Help and respect yourself a smidgen at least, give it a little *try* every now and then and maybe just maybe Charles D. will roll around his grave a little less at least.

Archived