I'm sorry, but I'm going to rant!

ILSnwdog

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 5 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 5 2010, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 5 2010, 03:35 PM)
I like cookies as much as the next person. You know what? I only eat a couple.

I'm glad you can do that Janie but it's easier said than done for a lot of people. Whether or not one has sympathy for this, it's not that simple, just as (like VarianStar said) an alcoholic simply can't not have "one" beer. They need a six pack, or more, until they can make healthy decisions, ones that start in the head, not the mouth.

I really believe more light needs to be shown about food fixations. People don't know a whole lot about it and therefore dismiss any problems with it.

I agree completely. I myself struggle with emotional eating, and while I'd love to be able to say that it's easy to stop at one or two cookies, etc., it's not easy. I struggle every day.

M, I don't even keep them in the house because I worry about triggering a binge. I am recovering (well) from disordered eating - it's been over 6 years now, but there is a part of me that still fears I'll lose control.

I love food, but it does take a lot of work for some people to maintain a healthy attitude towards it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 5 2010, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 5 2010, 02:37 PM)
Don't you love it when you see someone like this with their scooter in the all you can eat buffet line at Golden Corral? Usually hooked up to an oxygen tank, these people are literally committing suicide by eating themselves to death. I wonder at what point one discovers that they have a problem.

Yeah it's like "I'm obviously decripit and dying, but screw it I'm going to eat like a pig anyway. And besides, if it gets worse, I could just get another pill from the doctor".

This is a big issue I used to have out with my dad when he was over 400 pounds and refused all medical help. He ultimately had a heart attack and died, and from that point on I resolved not to be like him in this way. It is an intense struggle for me though, and I've gotten away from the goals I had set for myself. But come Summer, I look forward to being back at a respectable weight.

That's the right attitude. Never give up.

It's really sad that this happens. IMO, there is no valid physical excuse for being morbidly obese. Even so, there are many emotional reasons for this type of eating disorder and it's defiantly the hardest thing that some people have in their lives. But saying that it's beyond one's control to physically lose the weight is the wrong attitude to have. Everyone can do whatever it is they want to if they really want to do it.

My father was overweight as well. He wasn't morbidly obese, but his weight indirectly brought about his untimely death. It's not fair to those around you to abuse your body this way.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2010, 04:54 PM)

I'm glad you can do that Janie but it's easier said than done for a lot of people. Whether or not one has sympathy for this, it's not that simple, just as (like VarianStar said) an alcoholic simply can't not have "one" beer. They need a six pack, or more, until they can make healthy decisions, ones that start in the head, not the mouth.

I really believe more light needs to be shown about food fixations. People don't know a whole lot about it and therefore dismiss any problems with it.

I agree completely. I myself struggle with emotional eating, and while I'd love to be able to say that it's easy to stop at one or two cookies, etc., it's not easy. I struggle every day.

M, I don't even keep them in the house because I worry about triggering a binge. I am recovering (well) from disordered eating - it's been over 6 years now, but there is a part of me that still fears I'll lose control.

I love food, but it does take a lot of work for some people to maintain a healthy attitude towards it.

Sadly it's a very misunderstood disease.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 5 2010, 01:40 PM)

People need to figure out why they need to eat piles of candy bars and plates full of cookies. Emotional eating is fine if you make wise decisions. The woman I mentioned before, who ate a pile of candy bars in one day, would have felt equally full if she had prepared some baked chicken breasts and stored them in the fridge. There are healthy ways for emotional eaters to eat. Have a small bowl of yogurt instead of ice cream. Yes, I know, ice cream is yummier. Take some vanilla yogurt and drizzle some honey over it. It's just as sweet as ice cream but healthier. Shows like "The Biggest Loser" are great and all at showing people how to diet and exercise and push themselves, but do they really get to the heart of the matter? We're now hearing stories about past winners gaining all the weight back.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2010, 02:54 PM)

The rest of my family enjoys certain things that I have to fight not to cram in when I'm stressed (which, let's face it, is about 23 hours/day). I work hard to remember that I'm worth more than making myself sick with crappy food.

I keep some good dark chocolate on hand for a treat so that I can remember I'm treating myself well.

And with that, I believe the thread hijack is complete. smile.gif

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 5 2010, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2010, 04:54 PM)

Sadly it's a very misunderstood disease.

And, again, anorexia and other "thin" based eating disorders are talked about a lot more than the other side of things.

My personal experience tells me this too. When I was in high school, not eating and lost tons of weight, you can't believe the attention and worry I got. "Omg, are you anorexic?!" <--- and yes, that sentence is supposed to show worry and admiration. Because anorexia looks better than fat (socially speaking).

At my heaviest and eating more than someone my age/size should have been eating, I got nothing. Was I obese? No, but definitely overweight and not healthy by any means. Still, it's amazing how everyone wanted to reach out when I was skinny but when I was heavy? No, that was MY problem and too bad that it was.

(at last I'm here once again at the scene of a [possibly] embarrassing and incendiary bust up between fellow TRFers, oh God where are my savoury snacks soft drinks and booze, I need my pound bag of revels too. Oh Lord let this fight not be stopped due to rushgoober demanding that a test for steroids be implemented on Ticky before the argument can continue)

trink38.gif cool10.gif popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 5 2010, 03:59 PM)

People need to figure out why they need to eat piles of candy bars and plates full of cookies. Emotional eating is fine if you make wise decisions. The woman I mentioned before, who ate a pile of candy bars in one day, would have felt equally full if she had prepared some baked chicken breasts and stored them in the fridge. There are healthy ways for emotional eaters to eat. Have a small bowl of yogurt instead of ice cream. Yes, I know, ice cream is yummier. Take some vanilla yogurt and drizzle some honey over it. It's just as sweet as ice cream but healthier. Shows like "The Biggest Loser" are great and all at showing people how to diet and exercise and push themselves, but do they really get to the heart of the matter? We're now hearing stories about past winners gaining all the weight back.

Actually, I argue that emotional eating is never fine. If you're using food or anything to displace other problems, you're not solving the problem. Emotional eating is never controlled and is thus called that. You're feeding the sad -- or happy -- not true hunger.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 5 2010, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2010, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 5 2010, 03:58 PM)
What pisses me off is when you see kids playing with them. angry.gif

For a second I thought you meant it pissed you off to see kids playing with fat people, and I was "WTF"??? Like they're big plushy toys or something.

Then I realized you meant the carts. tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

what carts? confused13.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 5 2010, 04:59 PM)

It's more than just ice cream being yummier. It's the ingredients in the junk food that satisfies the addiction. It's the psychological need and short-lived gratification achieved from eating the candy bars or bag of chips that the addict needs to conquer. Taste isn't necessarily the issue, what is being eaten is. They are all tied together which is why, like you said, the addict needs to understand why they eat like they do. And even then it's not an easy road. It's not just avoiding those foods, but also avoiding trigger foods that will lead your addiction back to the junk food again.

Its funny the way threads progress. It starts as a persons frustration with lazy people using these carts because they don't want to walk, and it evolves into sympathy for people with eating disorders.

I think most are sympathetic to those with real addictions, and that includes food, but lets face it, those carts are about many different things. They are about helping the handicapped, helping the obese do for themselves, and the just plain lazy who should not be taking one of these away from someone who really needs it.

Blonde brought up a good point a few hundred posts back. She said something to the effect, that eating right costs a lot more money, and she is right. Not everyone can afford to eat a healthy diet, and thus they eat processed foods that help make there health decline even faster. These foods are often the cause of addictions, based on the chemicals in them.

The bottom line is, if you truly need the cart, then by all means use it. If your a lazy f**k, try walking every once in awhile, and you might feel better.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 5 2010, 05:24 PM)
Blonde brought up a good point a few hundred posts back. She said something to the effect, that eating right costs a lot more money, and she is right. Not everyone can afford to eat a healthy diet, and thus they eat processed foods that help make there health decline even faster. These foods are often the cause of addictions, based on the chemicals in them.

yes.gif

Excellent point by Blonde and thanks tick for mentioning it.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 5 2010, 04:24 PM)
Its funny the way threads progress. It starts as a persons frustration with lazy people using these carts because they don't want to walk, and it evolves into sympathy for people with eating disorders.

That's what I was thinking as I read this.

Yes, there are eating disorder issues out there, but IMO it represents the minority of people, and especially the minority hijacking the carts not really meant for them. If you are in the minority, then get help/drugs from a licensed medical professional and get the weight off. In either case, if you're overweight, YOU are the only one who can change it. And you owe it to yourself, your family and society to do so.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 5 2010, 04:53 PM)

That's what I was thinking as I read this.

Yes, there are eating disorder issues out there, but IMO it represents the minority of people, and especially the minority hijacking the carts not really meant for them. If you are in the minority, then get help/drugs from a licensed medical professional and get the weight off. In either case, if you're overweight, YOU are the only one who can change it. And you owe it to yourself, your family and society to do so.

Take drugs to help get the weight off Ok

h'mmm If they don't have $$ to eat right What makes you think they have Med. coverage ? Med's are exspensive & No coverage Sucks yes.gif

I remember as a teen, I was too skinny. When I was depressed, I didn't crave food, I skipped it. I've seen photos of myself in high school and I look kinda sickly.

I couldn't eat breakfast before school because I would only throw it back up. I skipped lunch at school and mostly hung around the smoking area. I only ate food when it was dinner time at home.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 5 2010, 06:31 PM)
I'm addicted to eating until I'm full or the plate is empty...

Am I evil?

ph34r.gif

of coarse you are Ducky. Duh ! 1022.gif

Whoever got the contract to provide those scooters to Disney World is a very wealthy person now indeed.

You cannot tell me that all, or even a significant percentage, of those obese people motoring around the Magic Kingdom have medical issues or eating disorders. No way.

Seriously, they don't have the bux to eat a proper diet but they can spend a few thousand on a week at Disney for themselves and their equally heavy kids?

That's what pisses me off, too - these parents who KNOW what it's like to be imprisoned in all that extra poundage, who have had their feelings hurt and been made fun of by others, won't make an effort to give their kids the tools to keep themselves healthy and happy. Kids are mean, perhaps no more so than to a fat classmate.

But no, it's so much easier to feed them a steady diet of fried chicken nugget thingies and sugary juice. Because if you fed them real food and got them outside to exercise, that might mean Mom and Dad would have to lead by example, right????

There's an article in one of my husband's recent cycling mags about a man who would have his wife help him over to the window to see outside. He weighed nearly 600 lbs. Long story short, he had a bike specially made for him and has lost almost 400 lbs since late 2007. He didn't have gastric bypass or go into therapy or try gimmicky diets. It's really amazing.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2010, 07:13 PM)
Whoever got the contract to provide those scooters to Disney World is a very wealthy person now indeed.
You cannot tell me that all, or even a significant percentage, of those obese people motoring around the Magic Kingdom have medical issues or eating disorders. No way.
Seriously, they don't have the bux to eat a proper diet but they can spend a few thousand on a week at Disney for themselves and their equally heavy kids?

That's what pisses me off, too - these parents who KNOW what it's like to be imprisoned in all that extra poundage, who have had their feelings hurt and been made fun of by others, won't make an effort to give their kids the tools to keep themselves healthy and happy. Kids are mean, perhaps no more so than to a fat classmate.

But no, it's so much easier to feed them a steady diet of fried chicken nugget thingies and sugary juice. Because if you fed them real food and got them outside to exercise, that might mean Mom and Dad would have to lead by example, right????

There's an article in one of my husband's recent cycling mags about a man who would have his wife help him over to the window to see outside. He weighed nearly 600 lbs. Long story short, he had a bike specially made for him and has lost almost 400 lbs since late 2007. He didn't have gastric bypass or go into therapy or try gimmicky diets. It's really amazing.

With my wife being pregnant (but not showing), having fused discs in her back, and bad knees... those scooters came in VERY handy when we were in Disney. Yet to look at her, you'd bet your wallet she was healthy. You just never know.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 5 2010, 08:20 PM)
With my wife being pregnant (but not showing), having fused discs in her back, and bad knees... those scooters came in VERY handy when we were in Disney. Yet to look at her, you'd bet your wallet she was healthy. You just never know.

No, you don't. Which is why I would never dream of calling someone out on that. But I am willing to bet Owlswing was the exception rather than the rule.

My brother-in-law (yeah, THAT bro-in-law) is obese. No splitting hairs, he's huge. Well over 300 pounds, and he's only about 5'5". He is a Type II diabetic, has back problems, and has NEVER tried to address his weight issues. Got mad at his wife when she'd try to cook healthier meals.

He now has multiple myeloma. He will die from it eventually, but it IS possible to live another 20 years or so with that. How sad that his chances of doing so are not as good as they'd be if he had started managing his weight better earlier on. Of course, he could defy odds and outlive us all. . .

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 5 2010, 10:13 PM)
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx359/MrRek09/McCraryTwins.jpg

Nah, those guys are cool. At least they acted under the Bring Your Own Scooter rule.

I think most are sympathetic to those with real addictions, and that includes food, but lets face it, those carts are about many different things. They are about helping the handicapped, helping the obese do for themselves, and the just plain lazy who should not be taking one of these away from someone who really needs it.

The bottom line is, if you truly need the cart, then by all means use it. If your a lazy f**k, try walking every once in awhile, and you might feel better.

Or in order to get one of those carts, you need to present some sort of card that qualifies you for one. msn_sheep.png popcorn.gif

Archived