The bands health..

Phantom

As we embark on a new year, for me, it's a time for reflection, and a time for looking ahead. It's an annual practice for me as I look at my own life, my work, my hobbies etc and examine things in more detail than I generally do throughout the year.

This is a sensitive subject for me, and perhaps an inappropriate one to bring up here, but it's been on my mind recently so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if it's crossed anyone else's mind.

Having known some longtime smokers, some of whom are still with us, and some of whom are not, my personal experiences have been trying. I've lost far too many that I've loved far too soon.

It strikes me that smoking will catch up with almost anyone who smokes for upwards of 30 - 40 years or more. My mother was a 35+ year smoker, and around the age of the boys when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. Unfortunately, she's just one of many who have lost their battles. My best friends mother too. The list is so much longer than I wish it was.

In the RIO documentary, Alex references that he'd quit smoking several years ago, and I'm not not sure if that's still the case or not. I'm also not certain if Geddy smokes but from what I gather, Neil still does.

No one should be here to judge anyone else, and that's the least of my intentions. To each their own I say.

However, having seen far too many people that I know and love dearly succumb to the effects of smoking, and leave us far too early, it's my hope that any ill effects of years of indulging in tobacco elude the boys and that their angels continue working..... overtime.

Heartfelt apologies to any who's offended, and wishing all a happy, healthy, safe and prosperous 2010.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Dec 26 2009, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 26 2009, 01:39 PM)
roll the bones...........

confused13.gif

We go out in the world and take our chances

Fate is just the weight of circumstances

That's the way that lady luck dances

Roll the bones

Of course I wish Neil nothing but good health and longevity. I really had never thought about Neil smoking and the effects on his health. I have thought about his motorcycling though as I know several folks killed while riding.

The bottom line is that they all need to stop smoking if they want to be around a long time. Geddy of course has his voice to think about. I wonder if smoking affects the ability to hit high notes after a certain age.

And Alex needs to lose weight. I don't want to see him getting as big as Chris Squire of Yes who is at least 50 pounds overweight from what he was in the 70's.

Neil too has gained weight. Being on the motorcycle a lot and off the bicycle has brought this on I feel. I thought he quit smoking, but evidentally he has started again.

I remember in the 70's and early 80's where they all used to rollerskate around the arena around soundcheck time and Alex and Geddy used to play tennis together. And the band and their roadies had their own hockey and volleyball teams (played at Le Studio even in the snow!) all just for fun. Those days are gone it seems.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 27 2009, 12:55 AM)
The bottom line is that they all need to stop smoking if they want to be around a long time. Geddy of course has his voice to think about. I wonder if smoking affects the ability to hit high notes after a certain age.

And Alex needs to lose weight. I don't want to see him getting as big as Chris Squire of Yes who is at least 50 pounds overweight from what he was in the 70's.

Well my voice became lower (I don't get the high notes anymore) after I started smoking. Most of the girls with low voices in our choir are smokers and the high-note-girls are non smokers.

Well, it definitely has an effect on the voice, smoking can destroy it because the smoke isn't good for the voice and lungs and all.

And is Alex really "over"weight? I don't think so... I think he was a little underweight in the 70s, they all were. Now they are still "normal", aren't they? wink.gif

There was a comment that Geddy mentioned in an article/interview from 1990 that he quit smoking in 1983.

He has been smoke free for 25 years.

Alex probably smokes maybe on and off or not anymore.

Neil really needs to be concerned about quitting smoking since he has a baby now.

QUOTE (TheWater @ Dec 27 2009, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 27 2009, 12:55 AM)

Well my voice became lower (I don't get the high notes anymore) after I started smoking. Most of the girls with low voices in our choir are smokers and the high-note-girls are non smokers.

Well, it definitely has an effect on the voice, smoking can destroy it because the smoke isn't good for the voice and lungs and all.

And is Alex really "over"weight? I don't think so... I think he was a little underweight in the 70s, they all were. Now they are still "normal", aren't they? wink.gif

I agree, I don't really see anything wrong with Alex's weight. Sure, he's a little chubby, but it's not anything to worry about. We can't all be super skinny like Geddy. laugh.gif

Archived