Movies People Just Don't Get!

Alex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 22 2009, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2009, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 22 2009, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 06:31 AM)
I "get" David Lynch.  I "get" he's a hack.

Two definitions of the word hack:

1. a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts.

2. a professional who renounces or surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward in the performance of a task normally thought of as involving a strong personal commitment.

Sorry man, but like the guy's movies or not, neither apply to his work. He's way to original and independent for that.

Nah. He's a hack. He's not as much of a hack as, say, Ron Howard, but he's a hack, nonetheless. He's simply being weird for weird's sake. He's a pretentious hack.

Concur.

Ron Howard is a hack ? confused13.gif

He has made a few good films.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

These are all good films. I wouldn't exactly call him a hack ? no.gif

I was concurring his opinion that Lynch is a hack. I disagree somewhat with applying that label to Ron Howard. Apollo 13 and Backdraft are the only two movies of his that I like, though. I briefly owned A Beautiful Mind, I watched it once and then gave it away. I don't think it deserved the Oscar and would rate the movie as mediocre.

I'm not saying Ron Howard is the best film maker in the business, I'm just stating he is not a hack. Its not his fault A Beautiful mind won best picture ? Its not a great movie, but its certainly not horrible either.

Willow and Splash were great family films, and Cinderella Man is an excellent film. See it if you have not.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2009, 10:03 AM)

1. a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts.

2. a professional who renounces or surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward in the performance of a task normally thought of as involving a strong personal commitment.

Sorry man, but like the guy's movies or not, neither apply to his work. He's way to original and independent for that.

Nah. He's a hack. He's not as much of a hack as, say, Ron Howard, but he's a hack, nonetheless. He's simply being weird for weird's sake. He's a pretentious hack.

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

I was concurring his opinion that Lynch is a hack. I disagree somewhat with applying that label to Ron Howard. Apollo 13 and Backdraft are the only two movies of his that I like, though. I briefly owned A Beautiful Mind, I watched it once and then gave it away. I don't think it deserved the Oscar and would rate the movie as mediocre.

I'm not saying Ron Howard is the best film maker in the business, I'm just stating he is not a hack. Its not his fault A Beautiful mind won best picture ? Its not a great movie, but its certainly not horrible either.

Willow and Splash were great family films, and Cinderella Man is an excellent film. See it if you have not.

I thought It's A Beautiful Mind was an amazing movie. So was Parenthood, EdTV, Apollo 13 and others. Also very enjoyable were Splash, Cocoon, Far and Away, Cinderella Man and I even really enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. He's made some really great movies over the years...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 06:57 AM)
Crash, Naked Lunch and eXistenZ.

Those movies were done by David Cronenberg Goobs, not Lynch. tongue.gif But yes those are some more of my fave movies that a few of my friends didn't seem to get.

Lost Highway is one f*cked up movie and I had to watch it a few times before I got it and now I LOVE the genius of it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 01:16 PM)
I think The Village is M. Night Shaymalan's best film besides The Sixth Sense, but many people hate it. Now Lady in the Water, and especially The Happening - THOSE were horrible, but I loved The Village.

M. Night Shaymalan is almost as much a hack as David Lynch.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 22 2009, 10:23 AM)

Those movies were done by David Cronenberg Goobs, not Lynch. tongue.gif But yes those are some more of my fave movies that a few of my friends didn't seem to get.

Lost Highway is one f*cked up movie and I had to watch it a few times before I got it and now I LOVE the genius of it. biggrin.gif

Oh, oops! blush4.gif

I actually DID know that. I love David Cronenberg even more than David Lynch, though I still think Lynch is a great demented director. David Lynch I still think is highly original and unique, but sometimes gets just too weird. David Cronenberg on the other hand is pretty consistently brilliant - I'll see almost anything that guy directs.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 10:25 AM)
I think The Village is M. Night Shaymalan's best film besides The Sixth Sense, but many people hate it.  Now Lady in the Water, and especially The Happening - THOSE were horrible, but I loved The Village.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but who do you consider to be great directors?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 12:27 PM)

Oh, oops! blush4.gif

I actually DID know that. I love David Cronenberg even more than David Lynch, though I still think Lynch is a great demented director. David Lynch I still think is highly original and unique, but sometimes gets just too weird. David Cronenberg on the other hand is pretty consistently brilliant - I'll see almost anything that guy directs.

Oh ya.. another director some people don't get the appeal of is Terry Gilliam (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil, The Fisher King) Tideland for example, I LOVED it but my mom who is a HUGE Gilliam fan, didn't really understand it. I thought it was brilliant! confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 10:25 AM)
I think The Village is M. Night Shaymalan's best film besides The Sixth Sense, but many people hate it.  Now Lady in the Water, and especially The Happening - THOSE were horrible, but I loved The Village.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but who do you consider to be great directors?

As far as current directors: The Coen Brothers,

Paul Thomas Anderson, Peter Jackson, Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson

My all-time favorite directors are Stanley Kubrick and The Coen Brothers.

I like Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese and Clint Eastwood. Ridley Scott is pretty good.

I also like Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock.

There are lots more!

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 22 2009, 10:33 AM)

Oh, oops! blush4.gif

Oh ya.. another director some people don't get the appeal of is Terry Gilliam (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil, The Fisher King) Tideland for example, I LOVED it but my mom who is a HUGE Gilliam fan, didn't really understand it. I thought it was brilliant! confused13.gif

I used to think I really loved Terry Gilliam, but I haven't really enjoyed a movie of his in a long time. Time Bandits was great, and Brazil was genius, but outside of those and the Monty Python stuff, not so much. I think The Fisher King was highly overrated, Twelve Monkeys was only ok, Baron Munchausen was decent and Fear and Loathing was a mess. He's a great director, but often I find him a bit self-indulgent.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 01:43 PM)

Oh, oops! blush4.gif

I used to think I really loved Terry Gilliam, but I haven't really enjoyed a movie of his in a long time. Time Bandits was great, and Brazil was genius, but outside of those and the Monty Python stuff, not so much. I think The Fisher King was highly overrated, Twelve Monkeys was only ok, Baron Munchausen was decent and Fear and Loathing was a mess. He's a great director, but often I find him a bit self-indulgent.

Gilliam did as good a job as can be done with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Overall, he's hit and miss with me. He's basically to self-indulgent.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 01:47 PM)
Now if you want to talk hack, it's Tim Burton - most overrated director in history. I've gotten into a couple of his movies, but most of them I truly can't stand.

laugh.gif I like Tim Burton!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 01:47 PM)
Now if you want to talk hack, it's Tim Burton - most overrated director in history.  I've gotten into a couple of his movies, but most of them I truly can't stand.

laugh.gif I like Tim Burton!

Self-indulgent to the extreme. The master of style over substance. He gives me a hacking cough. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 11:34 AM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

Ron Howard has directed some good movies. I particularly enjoy Apollo and like a few things about Ransom. His movies come across as "paint by numbers" movies. He seems to rely on old and true devices, especially his camera work. He "borrows" a lot of his techniques. To me he tells stories in very unoriginal ways. He's not an artist, he's an artisan.

As for David Lynch, like I said before, he's weird for weird's sake. Pretentiousness covering for actual substance or storytelling.

mostly.....but not always

elephant man was a brilliant telling of a true story,on the other hand eraserhead was weird for weirds sake

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 01:43 PM)

Oh, oops! blush4.gif

Gilliam did as good a job as can be done with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Overall, he's hit and miss with me. He's basically to self-indulgent.

I tend to think of Fear and Loathing as Hunter S. Thompson (another self-indulgent prick, IMO) rather than Gilliam. In cases such as those, there's only so much you can do with what's already there.

QUOTE (tel @ Nov 22 2009, 02:46 PM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

Ron Howard has directed some good movies. I particularly enjoy Apollo and like a few things about Ransom. His movies come across as "paint by numbers" movies. He seems to rely on old and true devices, especially his camera work. He "borrows" a lot of his techniques. To me he tells stories in very unoriginal ways. He's not an artist, he's an artisan.

As for David Lynch, like I said before, he's weird for weird's sake. Pretentiousness covering for actual substance or storytelling.

elephant man was a brilliant telling of a true story,on the other hand eraserhead was weird for weirds sake

Yes. The Elephant Man is a very good movie.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2009, 02:47 AM)
Now if you want to talk hack, it's Tim Burton - most overrated director in history. I've gotten into a couple of his movies, but most of them I truly can't stand.

I agree with this statement so much that I think I actually wrote it by stealing goobs' password and posting it under his name

I like every director mentioned in this thread except Tim Burton. There's not one Gilliam or Cronenberg film I didn't enjoy, but Lynch misses sometimes. I didn't get anything from Inland Empire at all, but I liked Mulholland Drive. confused13.gif laugh.gif

Hell, I even own a Jodorowsky box set.....I enjoy some self-indulgent weirdness from time to time.

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

Eraserhead was time wasted I'll never get back. Thank god we rented it. I gave up about halfway through and read a book. My "it's an art film so therefore it's wonderful" friends thought I was some sort of Philistine.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 23 2009, 06:14 AM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

Eraserhead was time wasted I'll never get back. Thank god we rented it. I gave up about halfway through and read a book. My "it's an art film so therefore it's wonderful" friends thought I was some sort of Philistine.

I have Eraserhead recorded on DVR - been working up the energy to watch it. I've heard about it forever and ever but have never tried it yet - I know it's supposed to be a super weirdfest. At some point I'll give it a try - I have to really be in the right mood...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2009, 09:08 AM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

I have Eraserhead recorded on DVR - been working up the energy to watch it. I've heard about it forever and ever but have never tried it yet - I know it's supposed to be a super weirdfest. At some point I'll give it a try - I have to really be in the right mood...

I have the Special Anniversary Edition Box Set of Eraserhead! I love this movie! It was made as the reaction that David Lynch had to the news of becoming a father. One must wonder what his wife thought at the time... unsure.gif Gotta love The Lady in the Radiator! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif But yes Eraserhead is very odd movie, full of symbolism. If you can get past the oddness of it, the story is actually pretty intriguing JMO.

It's ok Mara... my mom shares your exact opinion about this movie. She tried to watch it with me and she kept asking me what was going on till eventually she said that it was going to give her nightmares and she left the room. My dad also tried to watch Lost Highway with me a while back when it first came out and he struggled with it and then eventually said "f**k it, I don't get this movie, you enjoy" and went back upstairs. laugh.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 23 2009, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2009, 09:08 AM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

I have the Special Anniversary Edition Box Set of Eraserhead! I love this movie! It was made as the reaction that David Lynch had to the news of becoming a father. One must wonder what his wife thought at the time... unsure.gif Gotta love The Lady in the Radiator! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif But yes Eraserhead is very odd movie, full of symbolism. If you can get past the oddness of it, the story is actually pretty intriguing JMO.

It's ok Mara... my mom shares your exact opinion about this movie. She tried to watch it with me and she kept asking me what was going on till eventually she said that it was going to give her nightmares and she left the room. My dad also tried to watch Lost Highway with me a while back when it first came out and he struggled with it and then eventually said "f**k it, I don't get this movie, you enjoy" and went back upstairs. laugh.gif wub.gif

I had a feeling you'd show up and talk me into seeing Eraserhead. I'll let you know my opinion when I get to it, which will now be sooner rather than later.

As for Lost Highway - it's really not for everyone. I think it's completely brilliant, but a lot of people would have a hard time with a movie that doesn't really make sense. That to me is the artistry of it, that it intentionally doesn't make sense, but that kind of art some would find intolerable, not to mention its graphic nature.

Every time I see Lost Highway I feel like I "get it" for a few minutes afterwards, like I think I know what it all means and how it fits together and what and why, but then it all becomes cloudy again - only a mindf*ck movie of this caliber could have this effect on me! biggrin.gif