2112 ATWAS...simply epic

GeminiRising79

played ATWAS on my ipod for the first time in ages - My God, brought back so many good memories; great songs, so radically different to the Rush anthems of the 21st century - but that's progress smile.gif

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Oct 19 2009, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Oct 18 2009, 11:22 PM)
If it wasn't for ATWAS!!! 1022.gif Who knows where the band would have ended up? unsure.gif  wink.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif

Ive thought a few times about at which point (album) they would have been, had they not made it and broke up, just some obscure 70s bar/rock/prog band with one or two hits.

Given that ATWAS was a live album, it doesent count.

It counts in my book!! 1022.gif If it wasn't for ATWAS I would never be the Rush fan I am today. Myself, along with some good friends back then liked 2112 but never really gave much of a listen to them. This live album is what set there career in motion!! I knew people back then that would never listen to their studio albums but loved ATWAS!! biggrin.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

I'm sure Alex, Neil and Geddy dismiss ATWAS as juvenile rubbish, but it was a beautiful moment frozen in time. It represents a time when they were young, hungry and unknowingly on their way to greatness. There were so many variables back then pertaining to future success, so I'm sure there was the strong element of uncertainty at any given time. To me this performance is extremely special on so many levels. I hope the Rush guys see it as so.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 21 2009, 07:47 PM)
I'm sure Alex, Neil and Geddy dismiss ATWAS as juvenile rubbish, but it was a beautiful moment frozen in time. It represents a time when they were young, hungry and unknowingly on their way to greatness. There were so many variables back then pertaining to future success, so I'm sure there was the strong element of uncertainty at any given time. To me this performance is extremely special on so many levels. I hope the Rush guys see it as so.

I dont think they dismiss it at all. In fact, Geddy has aknowledged that alot of people tell him ATWAS is their favorite live album.

QUOTE (troutman @ Oct 20 2009, 10:13 PM)
If it wasn't for ATWAS!!! 1022.gif Who knows where the band would have ended up? unsure.gif  wink.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif

Ive thought a few times about at which point (album) they would have been, had they not made it and broke up, just some obscure 70s bar/rock/prog band with one or two hits.

It counts in my book!! 1022.gif If it wasn't for ATWAS I would never be the Rush fan I am today. Myself, along with some good friends back then liked 2112 but never really gave much of a listen to them. This live album is what set there career in motion!! I knew people back then that would never listen to their studio albums but loved ATWAS!! biggrin.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Thats an interesting point because ive heard the same thing from people. As great as 2112 was, a lot of kids LOVED live albums back then.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 22 2009, 02:31 PM)

Thats an interesting point because ive heard the same thing from people. As great as 2112 was, a lot of kids LOVED live albums back then.

yes, live albums were biggest in the 70's.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 22 2009, 11:31 AM)

Oh Yeah!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif 1022.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 22 2009, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 22 2009, 02:31 PM)

yes, live albums were biggest in the 70's.

The 70's were the best!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Oct 20 2009, 08:25 AM)
Exit Stage Left would have been a way better album had they not tinkered so much.  The boots from that tour sound excellent and have probably my favorite set list of all their tours.

You are right here. If it wasnt overproduced it would be #1. ATWAS was not, and is therefore the best of all. Regardless of any setlist debate, the fact of the matter is it is a raw, flawless document of the first phase of the "annals of Rush." Fan-freaking-tastic folks! The best live album, bar none.

Archived