The Wicker Man

Xanadoood

Anyone else a fan of this ? A Classic, Old School style thriller/horror. No CGI or fake reality bullshit style plot, just a strange story with creepy characters. I saw part of the remake recently and it sucked!...you cant top the original. They just dont make movies like this anymore.

Cage has taken a lot of really crap roles over the past few years.

The original was a classic.

Im sure I read somewhere that it's Christopher Lee's favourite film he has starred in personally.

Even Edward Woodward's performance was exceptional.

But it's to the relatively simple story where the film shines so brightly, coupled with a really quite shocking ending!

As for the remake.... hahahahahahaha oh man!!!

I remember watching the original Wicker Man when I was in my early teens and, after an intial 'what's going on?' reaction and the sight of Britt Ekland cavorting (I was pretty young), I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've not bothered with the remake as just reading the changes that were to be made to the story put me right off

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 16 2009, 11:09 AM)
I remember watching the original Wicker Man when I was in my early teens and, after an intial 'what's going on?' reaction and the sight of Britt Ekland cavorting (I was pretty young), I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've not bothered with the remake as just reading the changes that were to be made to the story put me right off

Slaine! :Big brotherly hug: How've you been, sir? It's great to see you again!

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 12 2009, 02:21 PM)
Anyone else a fan of this ? A Classic, Old School style thriller/horror. No CGI or fake reality bullshit style plot, just a strange story with creepy characters. I saw part of the remake recently and it sucked!...you cant top the original. They just dont make movies like this anymore.

Oh man, I love that movie so much! It's way up there on my all-time favorite classic horror movies list! I'm glad you liked it, too.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 12 2009, 02:44 PM)
Haven't seen the original, but I did stumble upon the Nicholas Cage remake on cable. Cage should be ashamed of himself for not saying "No thanks, I'll pass" after reading that script.

Buddy, please check out the original some time! It's just plain great!

Bonus: Britt Eckland in her young and lovely prime, dancing around stark naked! (My apologies to the ladies for that one.)

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 16 2009, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 12 2009, 02:21 PM)
Anyone else a fan of this ?  A Classic, Old School style thriller/horror. No CGI or fake reality bullshit style plot, just a strange story with creepy characters. I saw part of the remake recently and it sucked!...you cant top the original. They just dont make movies like this anymore.

Oh man, I love that movie so much! It's way up there on my all-time favorite classic horror movies list! I'm glad you liked it, too.

yes.gif

Its got that unexplainable creepiness to it . Just something about how the story flows together and the characters.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 16 2009, 05:54 PM)
Haven't seen the original, but I did stumble upon the Nicholas Cage remake on cable. Cage should be ashamed of himself for not saying "No thanks, I'll pass" after reading that script.

Bonus: Britt Eckland in her young and lovely prime, dancing around stark naked! (My apologies to the ladies for that one.)

Alas I don't think it was Ekland herself shaking her booty around, but a mere body double. sad.gif

Still a great scene, but the film as a whole was just totally immense

Never seen the remake and really have no desire to.

The original is definitely a classic . I also think it has among the best integration of music into a film I've ever seen - that factor alone would make it very hard to re-make without making major changes. I even have the soundtrack which is really cool.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 16 2009, 04:09 PM)

You're back!!!! Hey Slaine, howzitgoin?

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Oct 17 2009, 03:18 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 16 2009, 05:54 PM)

Alas I don't think it was Ekland herself shaking her booty around, but a mere body double. sad.gif

Still a great scene, but the film as a whole was just totally immense

I didn't know that! I found this about it on IMDB:

A body double was secretly used for the naked rear shots of Willow dancing. The scenes were filmed after Britt Ekland had left the set. The body double was used because Ekland would only agree to topless shots of her body. After shooting was over, not only was Ekland furious to learn she had been doubled in some shots but that she was also a few weeks pregnant in that scene. Director Robin Hardy says it was Ekland herself who did not want her bottom to be filmed, as she did not like it.

Edit: If you're interested, there's a lot more trivia about the movie here.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I just had an idea. Let's all get together and build a Wicker Man of our own then we'll get all copies of the remake (both on DVD and film) flown in, load up the Wicker Man with them and burn them in a sacrifice to good filmmaking! laugh.gif

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Oct 17 2009, 11:20 AM)
The remake was the most unintentionally funny movie ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

The original was supposed to have it's own (intended) elements of humour. My guess as to why the remake fails probably has to do with it's inability to get the sly humour into the story. Oh yeah, and the fact that Cage is in it.