Rush On Cmt's Crossroads?

andrew28

I saw this thread title and had a little moment of terror thinking about Rush on CMT!! Who on earth could they pair them with for this show!?!?!? Thank God it's not for real.. although.. just think about Ged and The Man in Black sharing vocals. That would have been fine.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 12 2009, 12:45 PM)
Rush and the rascal flatts laugh.gif

Actually, that might not be as crazy as you think. Those guys have admitted several times that they do the country stuff to make money but have the most fun when covering rock tunes in concert. They are probably very familiar with Rush & may even be fans. yes.gif

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Aug 12 2009, 04:11 PM)
Bo Bice did a country version of "Closer To The Heart" which is on the "Got Country: 70s Rock" compilation.

And I will jab sharp instruments deep into my ear canals before I will ever listen to it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 12 2009, 10:05 PM)
Bo Bice did a country version of "Closer To The Heart" which is on the "Got Country: 70s Rock" compilation.

And I will jab sharp instruments deep into my ear canals before I will ever listen to it.

yeah all Bo is sposed to do is Vehicle...it's in his Idol contract I read it on the internet

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

for real? Neil Young doing Closer to the Heart....hearing it in my head now

anyway why didn't any uh yew sissies mention Toby Keith the Ford Truck Man?

Roll duh Bones or I'll kick yer ass Dammit! z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 12 2009, 09:05 PM)

This version is pretty good. Very acoustic with pedal steel.

You will never know if you like something unless you hear it.

With Bo Bice, I think people need to look past the American Idol bit because he is really good. The other ones that have been on the show, they are all the same.

Tim McCraw is a Rush fan. Would you judge him if he did a Rush cover?

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Aug 12 2009, 10:24 PM)

With Bo Bice, I think people need to look past the American Idol bit because he is really good. The other ones that have been on the show, they are all the same.

Believe it or not, there are a few country artists I really do like.

I just don't wanna hear Rush done country, or pop, or by anyone other than Rush. I'm that way about my favorite music - some stuff is almost sacred to me and to hear covers, even if they're generally pretty good, makes me cringe.

Think Gwen Stefani's cover of "It's My Life" by Talk Talk. Gwen can sing. I'm not a huge fan, but she can sing. But Talk Talk was one of my very favorite bands growing up (and STILL is very high on my list). It just isn't right to hear a voice other than Mark Hollis' singing their stuff. Just one of my quirks.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 12 2009, 11:42 PM)

Believe it or not, there are a few country artists I really do like.

I just don't wanna hear Rush done country, or pop, or by anyone other than Rush. I'm that way about my favorite music - some stuff is almost sacred to me and to hear covers, even if they're generally pretty good, makes me cringe.

Think Gwen Stefani's cover of "It's My Life" by Talk Talk. Gwen can sing. I'm not a huge fan, but she can sing. But Talk Talk was one of my very favorite bands growing up (and STILL is very high on my list). It just isn't right to hear a voice other than Mark Hollis' singing their stuff. Just one of my quirks.

and to expound on that one, all the different versions of Melt With You from Modern English...that's blasphemy (God Mara I love that word!) to me personally. It was the song my first wife and I had made "our song", on our first date way back on their first US tour. They played in a dance hall in North Jersey called the Meadowbrook in Little Silver...all of us from the Roosevelt Park Theater cast n crew went, but only one person mattered to me. Like Billy Jo Armstrong sings..it was the time of my life, and every time I hear someone else pimp hair spray or Nissan or whatever? Damn it just chaps my ass!

His name is Tim McGraw. laugh.gif

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 13 2009, 12:07 AM)
all the different versions of Melt With You from Modern English...that's blasphemy (God Mara I love that word!) to me personally. It was the song my first wife and I had made "our song", on our first date way back on their first US tour. They played in a dance hall in North Jersey called the Meadowbrook in Little Silver...all of us from the Roosevelt Park Theater cast n crew went, but only one person mattered to me. Like Billy Jo Armstrong sings..it was the time of my life, and every time I hear someone else pimp hair spray or Nissan or whatever? Damn it just chaps my ass!

I feel you'r pain on that one - "I'll Melt with You" has been a Burger King commercial, a Ritz Cracker commercial and one other I can't remember - every time I hear it it hurts me a little in my heart..

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Aug 14 2009, 06:54 PM)
Well "Cold Fire" does have a country influence with the verses.

Alex Lifeson played pedal steel on "Liquor and Whores" by Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys and did a good job on it.

IMO Rush's music would be able to adapt to a country genre just fine.

Well, going by that logic, Rush would fit rap, as "Roll the Bones" has a rap in it. wink.gif

Of course, you know, they'd be a bunch of fiftysomething white guys singing in a genre that has few white aritsts, but I can't really see a band that's known for writing sci-fi/Ayn Rand songs playing their new single at the CMA's, either laugh.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 12 2009, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (edred @ Aug 12 2009, 02:44 PM)
Neil young, I could see him interpreting Tears, maybe Closer to the heart.

how about- closer to the heart of gold!

ohmy.gif Neil Young is NOT country - that's like saying that Neil Diamond or Tom Jones are country.

Honestly, there isn't one country artist that I can think of that could do Rush...unless...maybe Travis Tritt or (already suggested) Garth Brooks...sorry, honey, but Brad Paisley is TOO country to be performing with Rush - I love BP - he's an incredible guitarist that has made my dad say on many occasions that he wants to burn his guitars after seeing him perform (and my dad is no slouch on the guitar - he's been playing professionally for over 40 years)...I don't listen to much of the "modern" country that's out there because I can't stand the pop they're trying to pass off as country these days...but those two and maybe Tim McGraw would be good for the show.

But I REALLY don't see it happening seeing as Neil HATES country music (except for Patsy Cline and a few other exceptions) LOL

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 12 2009, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (andrew28 @ Aug 12 2009, 11:16 AM)
I could see someone like Garth Brooks doing a slowed-down "country-fied" version of Red Barchetta or Limelight.

The mere mention of that makes me feel ill.

Some songs in the Rush compendium should never, ever be recorded by anyone else. Red Barchetta and Limelight are two of those songs.

Certainly no Rush should ever, EVER be countrified. I favor the death penalty for whoever might commit such blasphemy.

What? How about that new direction the band took during the CP tour where they played "Cold Far"?

Archived