Best adaptation of a Stephen King Novel

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (war2112 @ Mar 21 2005, 11:59 AM)
Your daughters have to be the cutest twins I have ever seen. I mean that most sincerely. You are undoubtedly one proud papa.

Thanks, man!! That is so kind of you to say. trink39.gif

I was just going for a laugh. When we got that picture back, I literally dropped it. The first words out of my mouth were, OMG THE SHINING!!!

My wife hit me. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 21 2005, 10:52 AM)
pags... rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

That second set of twins freaks me out BIG time. The movie is horrifying (esp. with Kubrick's touch) but the book is HANDS DOWN the scariest thing I've read to date.

One of the BEST parts of that film is the soundtrack. OMG the music played for the movie is the scariest I've ever heard. I've downloaded most of it, and play it every Halloween outside of the house.

1st off... KING ROX!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I havent seen IT and prolly wont ever either..due to me bein scared shit of clowns!

i read bout 1st 20 pages of that book and decided not for me no.gif

Misery was a GREAT book! too bad the movie didnt stay to the book..they coulda kept where she cut his feet off insted of just breakin his ankles and puttin the blowtorch to the stubs..Ewww and remember in the book he drinks his own urine 062802puke_prv.gif LOL I remember readin that book and actualy havin a panic attack while readin the part where he "escapes" his room and shes commin up the driveway and hes tryin sooo hard to get back to his room..I HAD to put the book down an catch my breath b4 I could read on tongue.gif

they made alot of movies out of his short stories ..like "the lawnmower man" cumon that was soooooo far from the book it was horrible!

I liked nightflyers, that was a kewl flick and book..my favorite book so far is "Desperation" OMG that book scared the crap outta me..and how KIng desribes things in his writting ..its like ur actually there, u can see and hear..taste and even smell what hes describin..THAT would make a killer movie IF they stick to the book!

"needful things" was REALLY good also..omg he has soo many good stories out there i can go on forever wacko.gif

I'm a big Stephen King fan, I'm into the Dark Tower series at the moment, up to Badlands..it's different but good.

The best adaptions or films for me have to be no.1 The Shining..the film is one of my all time favourites, Jack Nicholson is just amazing in that, he's f***in' creepy but funny at the same time, but the book is even better. No. 2 would be The Green Mile, just a great film and book.

The biggest disappointment for me was Dreamcatcher, such an amazing book, which really got into your mind, but the film was crap, very difficult to put that one on the screen I think, gotta agree with Andrake..Morgan Freeman was so misscast as Colonel Kurtz..the man was supposed to be a raving psychopath... and the end was shite.

Wow how did i forget "thinner"

great book ..even a good movie! just goes to show yaz...

dont mess with us Italians laugh.gif Feggeddaboutit 653.gif

Whoo! There is a Stephen King thread. This is the first time I've dug up an oldie in a while...

Everyone should read the Dark Tower series. Then put it down, then read it again. Then put it down, go read the Talisman, finish it, then read the Dark Tower again. They are the best books EVER (and don't think I'm being fanboyish with this, I've sadly suffered through 2 years of advanced lit, and my book budget has recently outweighed my music and movie budgets, so I get my reading in).

Alright, back to movies. Let's sadly start with the bad news-

The Talisman. Most likely my favorite King book outside of the Dark Tower (inside the dark tower, it's too dark to read! Ha... ha...). Steven Speilberg has had the rights to make a movie of the Talisman for nearly a decade now (Scriptwriting reportedly began in '88.) It's gone through the hands of at least two directors, and in the late '90s, casting even began, having Will Smith playing Speedy Parker (that doesn't make sense to me, but it's true). But, news came in last week that Speilberg has dropped the rights to the movie, so it's no uncertain when, and even if, this movie will ever be made.

But, on a better note- two books have been picked up by George Romero to make- "From a Buick 8" and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". I'm not a really big fan of either, but still, it's more King on the market.

Also out there- Nightmares and Dreamscapes is being made into a TV miniseries. The short story 1408 from his most recent short story book (I can't think of the name, it's the one with the blood all over the restaurant) is being produced. But for some bigger names- Bag of Bones is being made into a feature length, and Black House (the sequel to The Talisman, which I don't get, I think Talisman should be made first) is also being made.

YAY!!!

I've never read any Stephen King books but my mother is a FANATIC of his. One time my family and I went up to Maine on vacation (we have no family or friends up there, my mom has this fascination with it) and we drove by King's house. I touched his gate. It was awesome!!!! His house was so big.

beathorse.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

The Shining is without question SK's best movie ever, despite Nicholson's somewhat overdoing it. Delores Claiborne is my pick for second. If I have to explain why forget it ... watch The Stand and shut up.

Having said that, The Stand is SK's best book, and I would put The Talisman as SK's second best not forgetting that other guy who wrote all that excess crap; where was the editor???

The Children of the Corn was another great book that became a mediocre movie. If only Hollywood was up to the task of putting such great work to film. sarcasm.gif

I thought Brian DePalma's "Carrie" (1976) was a great adaptation. Several years ago, there was a TV remake of it that just sucked.

I remember "Salem's Lot" being really good as well.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Mar 10 2005, 09:58 PM)
Shawshank Redemption, one of my favs.

that would be my choice. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Dec 29 2005, 04:40 PM)

The Talisman. Most likely my favorite King book outside of the Dark Tower (inside the dark tower, it's too dark to read! Ha... ha...). Steven Speilberg has had the rights to make a movie of the Talisman for nearly a decade now (Scriptwriting reportedly began in '88.) It's gone through the hands of at least two directors, and in the late '90s, casting even began, having Will Smith playing Speedy Parker (that doesn't make sense to me, but it's true). But, news came in last week that Speilberg has dropped the rights to the movie, so it's no uncertain when, and even if, this movie will ever be made.

By far, The Talisman is my favorite Stephen King novel and one of my favorite books of all time. But, WILL SMITH? WTF? I always thought a younger Elisha Wood would have been perfect for the part.

As far as King's books that have been adapted for the big screen, The Shining is the best ever.

for me, it's misery...

can you paulie? can you......

I absolutly love 'The Green Mile'

I am also a big fan of Shawshank Redemption.

Carrie (the original) just plain freaked me out, but it was an amazing movie.