Bruno

Mara

Anyone planning to see this? I just recently (finally) saw Borat, and almost peed myself laughing. I've seen the extended previews on USA for Bruno and it does look funny, though it seems to rely mainly on gay stereotypes.

This is probably one of those things that people either love or hate; people who hated Borat no doubt won't care for Bruno.

I'm not too sure about this one. Borat was hysterical, and I remember the trailers even looking good. This one just looks weird. But Sasha is a comedic genius, so I may see it if the reviews are good.

My only hope is that Bruno is as smart as Borat was. If it's just a funny movie, it won't have the same effect as Borat in my mind.

Still, as a fashion fanatic, I can't wait to cringe at seeing him crash Fashion Week in Paris wearing a velcro suit, stumbling on stage with designer pieces attached to him. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 30 2009, 10:39 AM)
My only hope is that Bruno is as smart as Borat was. If it's just a funny movie, it won't have the same effect as Borat in my mind.

Still, as a fashion fanatic, I can't wait to cringe at seeing him crash Fashion Week in Paris wearing a velcro suit, stumbling on stage with designer pieces attached to him. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I'm no haute couture expert, but yes, the velcro suit thing should be priceless. Wasn't that during the Prada show?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 30 2009, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 30 2009, 10:39 AM)
My only hope is that Bruno is as smart as Borat was.  If it's just a funny movie, it won't have the same effect as Borat in my mind.

Still, as a fashion fanatic, I can't wait to cringe at seeing him crash Fashion Week in Paris wearing a velcro suit, stumbling on stage with designer pieces attached to him.  icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I'm no haute couture expert, but yes, the velcro suit thing should be priceless. Wasn't that during the Prada show?

Not sure which show exactly...but it's nuts nevertheless.

Saw this on Saturday.

While still hillarious, didn't have the sharpness that Borat has. I was annoyed that the story line seemd to follow that of Borat too: man leaves country to go to USA, side-kick comes with him, leaves him at some point only to reunite again. Other similarities as well.

My rating is 7/10, where I give Borat 10/10.

I came late to the Sacha party; I've never seen any of Ali G and need to rent them.

I rarely pay attention to critics, be it music, movies, or books. I like what I like!

(Pursuant to the thread in the main Rush subforum - how many critics do you think gave "Strange Brew" a good rating? laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 13 2009, 09:31 AM)
I rarely pay attention to critics, be it music, movies, or books. I like what I like!
(Pursuant to the thread in the main Rush subforum - how many critics do you think gave "Strange Brew" a good rating? laugh.gif )

I think "Strange Brew" was a beauty, eh.

I'm going to have quit being such a knob and rent that in the near future. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 13 2009, 08:31 AM)

Because the film critic in the Chicago Tribune gave "The Hangover" 1 1/2 stars, I almost didn't see it. Good thing I was told otherwise, or I would have missed the funniest movie I have seen in years.

I haven't decided if I'm waiting to see Bruno at the theater of catch it when it comes out on DVD.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 14 2009, 07:42 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 13 2009, 08:31 AM)
I rarely pay attention to critics, be it music, movies, or books.  I like what I like!

Because the film critic in the Chicago Tribune gave "The Hangover" 1 1/2 stars, I almost didn't see it. Good thing I was told otherwise, or I would have missed the funniest movie I have seen in years.

I haven't decided if I'm waiting to see Bruno at the theater of catch it when it comes out on DVD.

Wait for the DVD. I was very disappointed with it. Borat was so much better.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 14 2009, 09:02 AM)
Didn't see Borat.

Don't plan on seeing Bruno. The guy is just not funny to me.

One of those things - people either find Sacha funny or they don't.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 13 2009, 12:59 PM)
I came late to the Sacha party; I've never seen any of Ali G and need to rent them.

You do. Make sure you watch the interviews he does with people of importance in the UK. He's interviewed politicans who I think didn't have a clue who Ali G was, and the results were spectacular.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 14 2009, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 13 2009, 12:59 PM)

You do. Make sure you watch the interviews he does with people of importance in the UK. He's interviewed politicans who I think didn't have a clue who Ali G was, and the results were spectacular.

yes.gif

rofl3.gif

I love his visit to the UN, the 'techmology" forum, his interview of Al Haig ( ohmy.gif ). There's great stuff on those discs.

For me, Sasha's like SNL. I love most of the sketch stuff, but translated into full-length features, they get tiresome.

Borat was great, Haven't seen Bruno will rent it.

Review I read didn't give it a high rating, said the joke gets old and would be funny in short sketches but the same gag is not worth movie length.

Also critic said some of the reaction to the Bruno character looked contrived and staged this time, not like Borat. Which gives speculation that some already knew what Sacha Cohen was up to and aware who he was.