Strongest personalities by sport

Slime

Who were/are the top PERSONALITIES in sports?

Not necessarily the best players, coaches or even play callers.

Simply put, who was the most interesting/outspoken/outrageous/wacky or otherwise memorable people in the various sports

For example, I'll talk about hockey first and declare that NO other hockey player was as much a personality as Maurice Richard (a step below God to many hockey fans in Quebec). This man was responsible for both starting and stopping a riot (in fact, the same riot!). He was a hero to many and a villain to others. I don't think any hockey player has ever topped him in terms of being a memorable personality.

I might even talk about Shaquille O'Neill in basketball. What other basketball player had the audacity to start a rap and film career? Maybe he has cooled off a bit these days, but I remember him being pretty huge in his first few years, and not because he was the best (I don't think anybody really said he was all that great as a player). He even had a game starring him that was NOT basketball, but thinking about that too much would be unbearable.

For basketball, you might even have a guy like Dennis Rodman, but the only thing I really remember about The Worm was his hair and the time he kicked that photographer.

What do you think? Can you think of any outrageous golfers, wacky baseballers or crazy shot putters?

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 25 2009, 08:45 AM)
In the NFL, Chad Ocho Cinco gets my vote.

If TO reads this, he'll be back on the warpath.

In baseball.......take your pick from the Yankees.

In the NBA it USED to be Rasheed Wallace, but I don't know who it is anymore. Yeah, I'd have to go with Shaq there as well.

In the NHL, I'll take your word for it.

In golf, I'll go with John Daly.

Agreed with McEnroe in tennis.

Chicago Sports...

NFL: Jim McMahon, Steve McMichael

MLB: Ozzie Guillen, Jack McDowell

NHL: Jeremy Roenick, Bob Probert

NBA: Dennis Rodman

Guys that came to mind...

Bill Lee (MLB), Pete Maravich (NBA), Allen Iverson (NBA), Patrick Roy (NHL)

Football: Chad Eight Five

Baseball: Manny and A-Rod

But I actually have to make the overall case for Chris "Birdman" Andersen of the Denver Nuggets. He's sort of the new Dennis Rodman because of his distinctive tattoos and hairstyle, but he also has a great story. Grew up dirt poor in Texas, was the first player ever to go from the D-league to the NBA, and then he had a drug problem (he's never said what drug it was, but probably cocaine) and got suspended from the NBA for two years. Then he got clean, turned his life around, and came back, and now he's a fan favorite in Denver. I loved watching him in the playoffs this year, he has tremendous energy off the bench. Probably my favorite player in the NBA not named Lebron James or Brandon Roy.

http://dailydenversports.com/files/2009/04/chris-andersen-nuggets.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3501088789_2fac783f0a.jpg

For "strongest" personality in baseball, it may have to be Ty Cobb or his modern-day equivalent, Pete Rose. The Babe and Reggie also came to mind.

Archived