"CALLING ALL STATIONS" RUSH FORUM FAMILY!

This thread is dedicated to one of the best progressive rock records ever made and from what I know most people HATE this last GENESIS studio record.

Please correct me if I am wrong Genesis Fans, but I love it. Ray Wilson's vocals fit right in. He had a much more Gabriel flare to his voice than a Collins clone vibe. Amen.

Every song on that record except for "SMALL TALK" is brilliant. Come on, even the drumming is off the charts.

"Calling All Stations" was a flop and the had to cancel that tour. I was sooooo pissed off as my buddy A.J. and I were ready to go to the show in Northern California.

What a bummer.

I felt completely.......................

"SHIPWRECKED"

Worst Genesis album ever.

dog poo

Calling All Stations is OK. I love Congo! Shipwrecked is pretty good.

I can understand why most don't like it, but I really don't think it's that bad. smile.gif

Not prog though. no.gif

But I didn't realise they had to cancel the tour! ohmy.gif

I liked it a lot when I first got it, but it has since shrunk on me, I guess. I still like the title track, Alien Afternoon, The Dividing Line, and There Must Be Some Other Way. Anyone who likes this album always raves about One Man's Fool, but I just don't dig it.

I've always thought it was kind like WCD, but with a harder edge like Abacab or ...And Then There Were Three.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 9 2009, 04:00 PM)

No, the worst Genesis album is either From Genesis To Revelation or And Then There Were Three.

I've always had a soft spot for Calling All Stations. It's really underrated.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Jun 9 2009, 06:00 PM)

No, the worst Genesis album is either From Genesis To Revelation or And Then There Were Three.

So you would consider both those albums to be worse than Invisible Touch and Calling All Stations? Both those albums are great. Especially And Then There Were Three which is one of my favorite Genesis albums.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Jun 9 2009, 09:00 PM)

ohmy.gif And Then There Were Three??? ohmy.gif

Come on! There is some brilliant work on that album. I was very impressed with how well they did without Peter.

After that, not so much, but ATTWT was pretty damn good. I still listen to it to this day.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 09:32 PM)
Thank goodness I am not alone Spindrift!

I agree with you on those two Genesis albums you just mentioned. Both are weaker than "CALLING!"

Love,

"FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME" 062802puke_prv.gif

Hard to argue with the "Follow You Follow Me" comment. Yeah, it's a lame song and unfortunately it was a sign of things to come for Genesis...Phil Collins pop music B.S.

But the rest of ATTWT was pretty damn good!

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Jun 9 2009, 08:00 PM)

Agreed on FGTR, but ATTW3? That album rules! I would put Calling All Stations above:

Genesis (self-titled, Shapes, Mama, whatever)

Invisible Touch

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Jun 9 2009, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 09:32 PM)
Thank goodness I am not alone Spindrift!

I agree with you on those two Genesis albums you just mentioned.  Both are weaker than "CALLING!"

Love,

"FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME"  062802puke_prv.gif

Hard to argue with the "Follow You Follow Me" comment.

I'll argue. It cycled in this morning during my workout and I enjoyed it. It's a sappy song, very simple, nice guitar work, and I like it. So there! tongue.gif

Isn't it fun to agree to disagree! There are some good songs on ATTWT. I will confess that I love "Invisible Touch." Maybe it's just because of my age I have no idea. I was a senior in high school when that album came out. It was also the first time I saw Genesis. The Drum Duet is etched in the back of my mind forever.

I have always loved "DOMINO."

Speaking about the Phil Collins BS, I remember seeing him do that "But Seriously...Shit Hits" tour. I mean at least he had Chester Thompson with him and they did do a drum duet but it sure as hell was a lot shorter. I had to sit through all of those fukkin' love ballads all night long with my ex-girlfriend. She drove so I could drink. Well in hindsight she actually drove me to drink. LOL

I started to shout out stupid things very loudly. (sort of like what I still do on here with my fingers) Some Raider fan with his biker girlfriend started to get annoyed by my loud mouth so the dude stood up and wanted to pick a fight with me. Uh....no thanks. I split for about five songs and then came back to waste more of my time. Big beer in hand.

It was a horrific show. I wanted to blow my head off during "Against All Odds."

Anyway I think "Calling All Stations" is the best GENESIS album since "WIND AND WUTHERING."

Not digging the Genesis Pop Machine Era either with Phil. Come on, "Misunderstanding" is crap. What a terrible song.

"Illegal Alien?" What junk.

"That's All?" Yeah that's about all I can take of that shite.

"Calling All Stations" is totally underrated. Maybe everyone hates it because it's a dark and depressing masterpiece. I don't know why, but I love the record.

Different strokes for different folks.

"THE DIVIDING LINE" has been drawn.

So "Hit Me With Your Best Shot."

Love,

Pat Benatar

Glad this thread is still breathing.......................... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 11:25 PM)
Isn't it fun to agree to disagree! There are some good songs on ATTWT. I will confess that I love "Invisible Touch." Maybe it's just because of my age I have no idea. I was a senior in high school when that album came out. It was also the first time I saw Genesis. The Drum Duet is etched in the back of my mind forever.

Speaking about the Phil Collins BS, I remember seeing him do that "But Seriously...Shit Hits" tour. I mean at least he had Chester Thompson with him and they did do a drum duet but it sure as hell was a lot shorter. I had to sit through all of those fukkin' love ballads all night long with my ex-girlfriend. She drove so I could drink. Well in hindsight she actually drove me to drink. LOL
I started to shout out stupid things very loudly. (sort of like what I still do on here with my fingers) Some Raider fan with his biker girlfriend started to get annoyed by my loud mouth so the dude stood up and wanted to pick a fight with me. Uh....no thanks. I split for about five songs and then came back to waste more of my time. Big beer in hand.

Anyway I think "Calling All Stations" is the best GENESIS album since "WIND AND WUTHERING."

Not digging the Genesis Pop Machine Era either with Phil. Come on, "Misunderstanding" is crap. What a terrible song.

"Calling All Stations" is totally underrated. Maybe everyone hates it because it's a dark and depressing masterpiece. I don't know why, but I love the record.

Love,

Pat Benatar

I know it's popular to bash the hit parade that was 80's Genesis, but they cranked out a hell of a lot of songs that connected with people. That's hard to do.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 10:25 PM)

Love,

Pat Benatar

I dunno, I'd put "If That's What You Need" in the category with the Phil Collins love ballads, not in the category of "dark and depressing masterpiece". laugh.gif

How many crappy songs does ATTW3 really have? As I see it, just Follow You, Follow Me, Say It's Alright Joe (not really that crappy), and Scenes From a Night's Dream (pour on the nacho cheese). The rest of that album is on par with anything before or after it. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for Duke and most of Abacab.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 9 2009, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 10:25 PM)
Isn't it fun to agree to disagree!  There are some good songs on ATTWT.    I will confess that I love "Invisible Touch."  Maybe it's just because of my age I have no idea.  I was a senior in high school when that album came out.  It was also the first time I saw Genesis.  The Drum Duet is etched in the back of my mind forever.

Speaking about the Phil Collins BS, I remember seeing him do that "But Seriously...Shit Hits" tour.  I mean at least he had Chester Thompson with him and they did do a drum duet but it sure as hell was a lot shorter.  I had to sit through all of those fukkin' love ballads all night long with my ex-girlfriend.  She drove so I could drink.  Well in hindsight she actually drove me to drink.  LOL
I started to shout out stupid things very loudly. (sort of like what I still do on here with my fingers) Some Raider fan with his biker girlfriend started to get annoyed by my loud mouth so the dude stood up and wanted to pick a fight with me.  Uh....no thanks.  I split for about five songs and then came back to waste more of my time.  Big beer in hand.

It was a horrific show.  I wanted to blow my head off during "Against All Odds."

Not digging the Genesis Pop Machine Era either with Phil.  Come on, "Misunderstanding" is crap.  What a terrible song.

"Illegal Alien?"  What junk.
"That's All?"  Yeah that's about all I can take of that shite.

"Calling All Stations" is totally underrated.  Maybe everyone hates it because it's a dark and depressing masterpiece.  I don't know why, but I love the record. 

Love,

Pat Benatar

I dunno, I'd put "If That's What You Need" in the category with the Phil Collins love ballads, not in the category of "dark and depressing masterpiece". laugh.gif

How many crappy songs does ATTW3 really have? As I see it, just Follow You, Follow Me, Say It's Alright Joe (not really that crappy), and Scenes From a Night's Dream (pour on the nacho cheese). The rest of that album is on par with anything before or after it. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for Duke and most of Abacab.

goodpost.gif

HAHAHA! Good points!!

Sorry for the "Land Of Confusion" here. I can't deny that And Then There Were Three, Duke, ABACAB and GENESIS all have a few good songs on them. That is very true. I love "MAMA" and "HOME BY THE SEA."

I guess it's safe to say that the Genesis Phil Vodka Collins Pop Era was hit or miss. I prefer the misses of that catalog.

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 9 2009, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 11:25 PM)
Isn't it fun to agree to disagree!  There are some good songs on ATTWT.    I will confess that I love "Invisible Touch."  Maybe it's just because of my age I have no idea.  I was a senior in high school when that album came out.  It was also the first time I saw Genesis.  The Drum Duet is etched in the back of my mind forever.

Speaking about the Phil Collins BS, I remember seeing him do that "But Seriously...Shit Hits" tour.  I mean at least he had Chester Thompson with him and they did do a drum duet but it sure as hell was a lot shorter.  I had to sit through all of those fukkin' love ballads all night long with my ex-girlfriend.  She drove so I could drink.  Well in hindsight she actually drove me to drink.  LOL
I started to shout out stupid things very loudly. (sort of like what I still do on here with my fingers) Some Raider fan with his biker girlfriend started to get annoyed by my loud mouth so the dude stood up and wanted to pick a fight with me.  Uh....no thanks.  I split for about five songs and then came back to waste more of my time.  Big beer in hand.

It was a horrific show.  I wanted to blow my head off during "Against All Odds."

Not digging the Genesis Pop Machine Era either with Phil.  Come on, "Misunderstanding" is crap.  What a terrible song.

"Illegal Alien?"  What junk.
"That's All?"  Yeah that's about all I can take of that shite.

"Calling All Stations" is totally underrated.  Maybe everyone hates it because it's a dark and depressing masterpiece.  I don't know why, but I love the record. 

Love,

Pat Benatar

I know it's popular to bash the hit parade that was 80's Genesis, but they cranked out a hell of a lot of songs that connected with people. That's hard to do.

I know goose. I hear you. See above.

Earl

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 10 2009, 05:09 AM)

Agreed on FGTR, but ATTW3? That album rules! I would put Calling All Stations above:

Invisible Touch

I love both of those. In fact, the self-titled has my fave Genesis song on it: Silver Rainbow. wub.gif

I think Invisible Touch brings out the kid in me, since I loved it to death when I was a kid. I came close to wearing out the cassette. tongue.gif

As for ATTW3, I can't say anything bad about the album which has Ballard Of Big and Scenes From A Night's Dream!

And I love Follow You Follow Me, and not afraid to admit it!

So there! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 10 2009, 01:41 PM)

Invisible Touch

I love both of those. In fact, the self-titled has my fave Genesis song on it: Silver Rainbow. wub.gif

I think Invisible Touch brings out the kid in me, since I loved it to death when I was a kid. I came close to wearing out the cassette. tongue.gif

As for ATTW3, I can't say anything bad about the album which has Ballard Of Big and Scenes From A Night's Dream!

So there! tongue.gif

Indeedy! And not to forget Burning Rope and Undertow - some of the very best from Tony. Undertow used to be my very fav G song for quite awhile when I was a teenager.

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Jun 10 2009, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 10 2009, 01:41 PM)

Invisible Touch

So there! tongue.gif

Indeedy! And not to forget Burning Rope and Undertow - some of the very best from Tony. Undertow used to be my very fav G song for quite awhile when I was a teenager.

Undertow might be my favorite from ATTW3, especially the remixed version. It's one of the sort of obscure songs that really got a good treatment the second time around, along with Chamber of 32 Doors and Fly On A Windshield.