Why rush doesn't play in arenas anymore

The Big Money

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 9 2009, 05:23 PM)
I cant stand the sheds. Arenas are great, but unfortunately I dont think they can adequately fill the majority of those on a tour any longer. No matter, my strong preference is multiple dates in small theaters, like the beacon in ny, warner in dc, and tower and philly. I think seeing them in a smaller venue would be the ultimate experience, acoustically and visually.

I keep seeing a lot of posts alluding to this stuff...isn't Rush drawing better these days than they EVER have?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 9 2009, 06:25 PM)
I cant stand the sheds.  Arenas are great, but unfortunately I dont think they can adequately fill the majority of those on a tour any longer.  No matter, my strong preference is multiple dates in small theaters, like the beacon in ny, warner in dc, and tower and philly.  I think seeing them in a smaller venue would be the ultimate experience, acoustically and visually.

I keep seeing a lot of posts alluding to this stuff...isn't Rush drawing better these days than they EVER have?

sorry to say, no. example, back in the day they would sell out 2 shows at M.S.G and also THE MEADOWLANDS in n.j.. now, they can't sell out M.S.G. 1 time. still a huge draw but they also would sell a million or two albums and they are not even close to a million now

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 9 2009, 06:46 PM)
I cant stand the sheds.  Arenas are great, but unfortunately I dont think they can adequately fill the majority of those on a tour any longer.  No matter, my strong preference is multiple dates in small theaters, like the beacon in ny, warner in dc, and tower and philly.  I think seeing them in a smaller venue would be the ultimate experience, acoustically and visually.

sorry to say, no. example, back in the day they would sell out 2 shows at M.S.G and also THE MEADOWLANDS in n.j.. now, they can't sell out M.S.G. 1 time. still a huge draw but they also would sell a million or two albums and they are not even close to a million now

1022.gif

yeah but the Internet has a HUGE say in that dont you think? I mean how many albums sell a million copies these days???

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 9 2009, 05:25 PM)

i seriously doubt it........and as time goes on, they will likely be getting less and less people out to shows........they are way past their prime.

No not even close. In the 80s and 90s they could sell out any number of consecutive dates they wanted in major markets. Now they struggle when they play a 2nd show months later in the same market. The VT and S&A tours were littered with entire levels of arenas curtained off.

For comparison, check out the Roll The Bones tour where they played 2 consecutive nights at Madison Square Garden. Same thing on the Counterparts tour when they sold out 2 nights in a row at MSG. When they hit MSG for the first leg of the S&A tour (for 1 night), the upper level wasn't sold. That was the case for quite a few shows.

Rush still does well...and they gross more than ever given the high ticket prices, but their demand is limited relative to what it used to be.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 9 2009, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 9 2009, 06:46 PM)

1022.gif

yeah but the Internet has a HUGE say in that dont you think? I mean how many albums sell a million copies these days???

oh yeah, i totally agree the internet has everything to do with album sales. just using an example. they just don't draw what they did and that is understandable

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 9 2009, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Jun 9 2009, 01:16 PM)
That said... I hope that one day in the future they'll hold a concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, for old time's sake.

I don't see that ever happening seeing as Loblaws owns that space now I think.. although they haven't done anything with it since they acquired it. unsure.gif While it is a Toronto Landmark and will never be torn down, I just dont see Rush or anyone preforming there ever again.

Really? Is there a store in the Gardens now or is it just being rented out for ice time and functions?

I haven't been on that part of Carlton Street in six or seven years.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 9 2009, 07:46 PM)

1022.gif

Time to go back to Brazil!

125,000 in 3 shows....... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 7 2009, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 7 2009, 03:46 PM)
I prefer indoors, becuase 9 times out of 10 the sounds is better.......ever gone to an outdoor show on a windy day?

I have an outdoor amphitheater 40 minutes from my house. Jones Beach. It's an decent-sized outdoor venue which seats 11,200. Rush sells it out every time they play there. But it's right of the water, and the wind coming off the water plays havoc with the sound. Unless you're on the floor in the front half and center, the sound will be windblown to the point of being a total distraction.

I didn't even try to buy tickets there the past two tours, and will probably never see a rock concert there ever again. And that's a shame, because it's a nice venue in a very nice setting.

and the empty area between the stage and the seats sucks also

but...I still go anyway, more for the beers ( wink.gif ph34r.gif ) and wings beforehand

QUOTE (Atomic @ Jun 10 2009, 08:26 AM)
That said... I hope that one day in the future they'll hold a concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, for old time's sake.

I don't see that ever happening seeing as Loblaws owns that space now I think.. although they haven't done anything with it since they acquired it. unsure.gif While it is a Toronto Landmark and will never be torn down, I just dont see Rush or anyone preforming there ever again.

Really? Is there a store in the Gardens now or is it just being rented out for ice time and functions?

As of now, for the most part at least, the Gardens is just sitting there collecting dust. Not much, if anything, is ever held there anymore. The last really noteworthy thing to be held there was a small fundraiser organized by Matt Damon earlier this year. I think it was called One X One or something along those lines. But in terms of concerts/sporting events nothing has gone down there in a good 8 or 9 years I'd guess.

As sad as it is, the chances of another Rush show, or any concert, at Maple Leaf Gardens are slim to none.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Jun 10 2009, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Jun 10 2009, 08:26 AM)

As of now, for the most part at least, the Gardens is just sitting there collecting dust. Not much, if anything, is ever held there anymore. The last really noteworthy thing to be held there was a small fundraiser organized by Matt Damon earlier this year. I think it was called One X One or something along those lines. But in terms of concerts/sporting events nothing has gone down there in a good 8 or 9 years I'd guess.

As sad as it is, the chances of another Rush show, or any concert, at Maple Leaf Gardens are slim to none.

Too bad... living in Ottawa now I'm sort of out of touch with my home town of TO, for the most part.

So many memories of concerts at the Gardens... Rush many, many times, Max Webster, Saga, Cheap Trick... plus all those Leaf games.

Oh well, the ACC is a good place too and thankfully more legroom (marginally but more) than the Gardoons.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 7 2009, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 7 2009, 03:46 PM)
I prefer indoors, becuase 9 times out of 10 the sounds is better.......ever gone to an outdoor show on a windy day?

I have an outdoor amphitheater 40 minutes from my house. Jones Beach. It's an decent-sized outdoor venue which seats 11,200. Rush sells it out every time they play there. But it's right of the water, and the wind coming off the water plays havoc with the sound. Unless you're on the floor in the front half and center, the sound will be windblown to the point of being a total distraction.

I didn't even try to buy tickets there the past two tours, and will probably never see a rock concert there ever again. And that's a shame, because it's a nice venue in a very nice setting.

i am SO with you on Jones Beach...completely messes with the sound. It's lovely and all to see the water surrounding them and all, but no, never going back to see a show there.

Saw RUSH at MSG in 2007--LOVE IT

better though? Radio City Music Hall

I saw Rush in '08 in an outdoor gig. Nissan Pavillion,VA. Great sound all night.

I have seen many bands in the Verizon Center (Where the Washington Capitols play) and the sound is okay depending on where you are sitting.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 7 2009, 02:30 PM)
Seriously,

Where would you rather see Rush? Here?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/jenred316/Washington%202008/The%20Gorge/Gorge_Amphitheatre.jpg

I did see them at the Gorge. GREAT SHOW....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h6ksa1/Rush%20at%20the%20Gorge/P5310003.jpg

QUOTE (spok @ Jun 15 2009, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 7 2009, 02:30 PM)
Seriously,

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/jenred316/Washington%202008/The%20Gorge/Gorge_Amphitheatre.jpg

I did see them at the Gorge. GREAT SHOW....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h6ksa1/Rush%20at%20the%20Gorge/P5310003.jpg

I would love to go there one day to see a concert, assuming the band playing is one of my favorites, and that I can afford to fly to George, Washington from Augusta, Georgia laugh.gif

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 7 2009, 03:30 PM)
Seriously,

I didn't think the issue was so much SEEING Rush as it was hearing them. wink.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 15 2009, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 7 2009, 03:30 PM)
Seriously,

I didn't think the issue was so much SEEING Rush as it was hearing them. wink.gif

actually, hearing was easy but it was quite windy, the speaker stack hanging from the tower was swaying and tended to turn left and right. That did seem to have a small effect on the sound quality but it was still a great show

Geddy even commented on the breezy night introduced a song by saying "the next song is called appropriately, The Way The Wind Blows"

Archived