The thread where I look at each KISS album

Im too lazy to dig back into this topic. But i will state this. when it comes to cheesy metal, w.a.s.p. were the best.

they were in a sense, a waaaaaay better version of kiss.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo. the worst of the 4 live albums. a studio album with a crowd track put in. set list was o.k. but just a blah album . why the hell did they wait so long to put this out. totally disrespectful to ERIC CARR. all the albums and years he was in the band and no live album

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 6 2009, 03:49 PM)
imo. the worst of the 4 live albums. a studio album with a crowd track put in. set list was o.k. but just a blah album . why the hell did they wait so long to put this out. totally disrespectful to ERIC CARR. all the albums and years he was in the band and no live album

At least we have the Animalize video.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ May 6 2009, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 6 2009, 03:49 PM)
imo. the worst of the 4 live albums. a studio album  with a crowd track put in. set list was o.k. but just a blah album . why the hell did they wait so long to put this out. totally disrespectful to ERIC CARR. all the albums and years he was in the band and no live album

At least we have the Animalize video.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 6 2009, 11:28 PM)
How about someone followed you around and graded you on your daily deeds and tasks, like yer doin' fer Gene and Paul and Co.?  You think you'd like that, mack?  Now, how about addressin' my question since yer the resident KISS experts 'round these parts.  lol.

tongue.gif Hilarious. I do nothing much that the public would be interested in criticizing...nor do I make millions for doing it. wink.gif

I feel like I'm at a seminar and speaking out of turn. I know we're not up to this particular title yet, but I saw someone post the cover of Alive II and remembered that I have a question for anyone who's familiar with this double, live album. And, who the heck is runnin' this seminar anywho? Who's the Tony Robbins 'round this joint?

Who's Tony Robbins?

I had this one as a kid, and didn't know squat about mischevious things like overdubbing and consumer fraud (lol)

LOL...nor I. wink.gif

Isn't the fourth side of this KISS - ALIVE II full of unreleased studio tracks? s'Right?

Yes. Well, they weren't unreleased, except Ace's...which had been penned for Love Gun and rejected for Shock Me. The others were written for Alive II's studio side specifically.

I haven't heard this album in flappin' years, and none of these tunes are really triggerin' any memories of hearin' them in the past. Maybe that's because these tunes all suck and aren't memorable in the least?

Well I don't agree there, but that's not important...

I think that might just be the case. I just got done with the first two from Side Four and they certainly are a little on the weak side.

And clearly you don't hear any crowd noise, of the fake or real variety...so it's a pretty safe assumption two tracks in you've answered your first question. tongue.gif

'Larger Than Life' is a little better, but I still don't hear anything worthy of a 'single'. Were these all 'Love Gun' rejects, or was this Live album planned this way? Where's the 'I Stole Your Love' ? I know that Genesis did something similiar with 'Three Sides Live'...but, the fourth side on that one was pretty dang good. 'Rocket Ride' is actually a pretty sweet tune. Go Ace! The song sounds like a nice prep up for his 1978 solo joint.

They did a studio side because they didn't want to repeat songs from the first Alive, since it had been a mere two years earlier. Yet their Love Gun shows were still filled with songs from that time, like Black Diamond, Nothin' To Lose (I believe), Rock And Roll All Nite, etc. So after parsing those out they came up a bit short.

The songs were written pretty quickly....on the road, I believe. When recorded, Ace wasn't around, except for his song (which was already done), so Bob Kulick (Paul's solo album guitarist) does leads on the other songs. Contrary to fan speculation, Peter Criss does play drums on all of those tracks. Rumors that Letterman drummer Anton Fig's ghosted tenure in the band started on some of the Love Gun sessions and spilled over onto the Alive II 4th side sessions...well, there's nothing to suggest that. It sounds like Criss...and Fig has publicly stated that he didn't meet anyone associated with Kiss until hired to play on Ace's 78 solo album, thusly after all of this. Apparently Peter's ex-wife Lydia started talkin' in the last 15 years about how Anton had come in earlier, but I tend to believe Fig himself on the matter.

I'll give my opinion about the songs later. I'm not quite as gushing as some fans are about them, but I also quite like them. It was the first time we heard someone outside Kiss handling main riffs on Kiss songs, tho'. Ace had been replaced on a solo or so prior to this (Dick Wagner on Sweet Pain, for instance), but it really marked the beginnings of simply having an outside person handle the work altogether. I like Kulick, but he's no Frehley...and so while I dig these songs, a pretty dangerous precedent was set here. Technically it began on Destroyer, but in earnest here. To my knowledge no one outside Kiss played on either Rock And Roll Over or Love Gun....which makes sense, since producer Eddie Kramer was very pro Ace (especially) and Peter too, to some degree. Destroyer producer Bob Ezrin didn't give a shit, just so long as someone competent was there to play the solo, play the riff, etc.

Edited by Presto-digitation

was the first time we heard someone outside Kiss handling main riffs on Kiss songs, tho'.

'Splain this line above, please...And, I was never in doubt if these were studio or live tracks. That's fairly obvious. Well, nothing anymore is totally obvious with KISS deceitfulness and trickery at hand...But, the only real question was whether they were leftovers or specifically written. I think they got away with delivering practically a full side of clunkers here because it happened to be Side Four of a live, double album. Rocket Ride is the only real winner, I think. Strange how I didn't remember any of the tunes though. Must have never made it to the fourth side as a kiddie.

I'd be willin' to bet that I never even made it to the second record at all. I remember that I would always listen to the first two or three songs of each album over and over again at that age. A good way to remedy that habit though, and to ensure that you hear everything equally, is ALWAYS play yer discs on RANDOM. I've been doing that religiously since they began offering the option back with the second or third wave of CD players. This way yer just as familiar with Track 24 as you are with Track 4. Dig?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 7 2009, 08:19 PM)
was the first time we heard someone outside Kiss handling main riffs on Kiss songs, tho'.

'Splain this line above, please...And, I was never in doubt if these were studio or live tracks. That's fairly obvious. Well, nothing anymore is totally obvious with KISS deceitfulness and trickery at hand...But, the only real question was whether they were leftovers or specifically written. I think they got away with delivering practically a full side of clunkers here because it happened to be Side Four of a live, double album. Rocket Ride is the only real winner, I think. Strange how I didn't remember any of the tunes though. Must have never made it to the fourth side as a kiddie.

I'd be willin' to bet that I never even made it to the second record at all. I remember that I would always listen to the first two or three songs of each album over and over again at that age. A good way to remedy that habit though, and to ensure that you hear everything equally, is ALWAYS play yer discs on RANDOM. I've been doing that religiously since they began offering the option back with the second or third wave of CD players. This way yer just as familiar with Track 24 as you are with Track 4. Dig?

Meaning outside some folks NOT in Kiss handling some guitar solos or some such thing (the Sweet Pain example) in the past, it was the first time a guitarist other than Paul, Ace, or Gene (who plays rhythm guitar on some Kiss songs) played an entire Kiss song(s) on album. They were now officially letting outsiders in on the recordings...and that's something that never stopped after Alive II.

I heard they were written during the Love Gun tour, except Ace's. They were going to be on the next recording whether it was the fourth side of a live LP or the next studio one. But then the solo albums came into play.

I'm guessing the next Kiss record, had they not done the solo albums, would've been some strange mixture of the Alive II songs with some of the stylings we see on the solo albums. I really think a Best Of the solo records would've made a smashing Kiss album....

There already was some type of 'Best Of' for the KISS solos, wasn't there? I mean, I know I've seen an album displayed that has four different boxes for the four seperate covers. Was that not official? Even if it was, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have agreed with what was on it...That is, even if I was familiar with all four of the LPs. They never get 'Best Ofs' nearly right.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 8 2009, 08:33 AM)
There already was some type of 'Best Of' for the KISS solos, wasn't there? I mean, I know I've seen an album displayed that has four different boxes for the four seperate covers. Was that not official? Even if it was, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have agreed with what was on it...That is, even if I was familiar with all four of the LPs. They never get 'Best Ofs' nearly right.

Yeah, there was a best of the four. I'm saying had various material from the four been an actual Kiss album versus four separate albums...it might've been a really good Kiss record.

When is the next installment of this seminar scheduled? I've been eagerly waiting by the door to the gymnasium for El Professor to pop his head in, but so far - nuthin'. I wanna learn about why Hotter Than Hell sounds the way it does.. Teach me...Oh, and El Professor, when you do show up, can you please hand out a syllabus which warns us in advance when albums like 'Lick This Nut' are up for review. I'll use one of my absentee slips on that day.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 11 2009, 11:32 PM)
When is the next installment of this seminar scheduled?  I've been eagerly waiting by the door to the gymnasium for El Professor to pop his head in, but so far - nuthin'.  I wanna learn about why Hotter Than Hell sounds the way it does..  Teach me...Oh, and El Professor, when you do show up, can you please hand out a syllabus which warns us in advance when albums like 'Lick This Nut' are up for review.  I'll use one of my absentee slips on that day.

Oh no...no advance warnings...! tongue.gif You get to lick the nut like everyone else I'm afraid.

I'll probably do one today sometime. Been busy giving Kiss seminars across the globe this past week. Even Gene and Paul showed up to one because they've been believing their own bullshit for so long even they had to be reminded how it really went down.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 13 2009, 10:09 AM)
Bought the album the day it was released and for many months liked it quite well. It was so instantly accessible and hooky

What? Did you get a Strawberry Shortcake EZ Bake Oven with the purchase of? What were you thinking, man? lol.

For buying it when it came out, for liking it...or both? wink.gif

i got it because like everything with KISS, i buy it. it blows chunks. the most over produced/ polished piece of crap to come down the pike . i really don't know what is worse, the music or that pic of PAUL with his thong hanging out , or the wig GENE is wearing.

0 out of 10

062802puke_prv.gif

The KISS titles are not obligatory, friends. I hate that completist mentality that says that you must have everything by an artist you follow. I have quite a number of 'almost complete' discogs...missing just that one or poss. two discs where the band totally sold out and jumped the shark. The only person I'll excuse jumping the shark is Arthur Fonzerelli. And, only when the prize is a Pinky Tuscadero.

i am not a half ass fan. if i like

the band i buy the stuff. that being said i do not own a KISS coffin

1022.gif

edit for spelling

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 13 2009, 01:14 PM)
The KISS titles are not obligatory, friends.  I hate that completist mentality that says that you must have everything by an artist you follow.  I have quite a number of 'almost complete' discogs...missing just that one or poss. two discs where the band totally sold out and jumped the shark.  The only person I'll excuse jumping the shark is Arthur Fonzerelli. And, only when the prize is a Pinky Tuscadero.

Well they're a bit more obligatory in the moment and as a teenager, a time when I was a little more naive and less jaded about the band. Now you can really preview albums too...but other than another friend buying it and letting you borrow it...or hearing the new single on the radio, in 1987 you couldn't check stuff out and pass on it like you can now.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 26 2009, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Apr 27 2009, 12:46 AM)
hate them both..........next.

laugh.gif Know nuttin about The Elder. Dont bother going past Unmasked either, it's all shite after that.

By the time Elder came out only had a passing interest in KISS. I was full throttle into 2.gif . But my best friend was still clinging on to the Kiss fanwagon so I heard these albums at his house , Music from the Elder & UNMASKED. Which i thought was completely silly and realized KISS had become nothing more then a pop band.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 14 2009, 05:45 AM)
i got it because like everything with KISS, i buy it. it blows chunks. the most over produced/ polished piece of crap to come down the pike . i really don't know what is worse, the music or that pic of PAUL with his thong hanging out , or the wig GENE is wearing.
0 out of 10
062802puke_prv.gif

Yup, easy, pure vomit stinkin' up the place. Next?

KISS are a bunch of mighty fat pengas. And, they reek of opportunism. In retrospect, it certainly seems obvious that once the tail-end of the 1970's rolled around, this bunch of opportunists were poised to hop from one musical style to the next, seeing which fad fit best and drew the biggest crowds.

Thos six releases from 74 to 77 correspond to the output of a band who's got a decent degree of musical integrity. From the start, KISS was conjuring some accessible Hard Rock, aimed to please a certain demographic. They weren't interested in making music which was going to land them on the singles chart.

I remember reading that Casablanca was prepared to sign the band anyways, and told the members that they didn't need to wear the make-up any more. KISS replied, telling the company, 'you'll sign us with the make-up or we'll walk'. They held onto their costumes because they had become a part of their musical identities. They wanted to do things their way and were willing to wait for the right record company who 'got it'.

KISS were all about putting out the best, uncompromising Hard Rock and giving the fans the ultimate in Rock shows. But, after those four initial years and six albums, they were all about hopping on the newest bandwagon, the next fad and abadoning their hardcore following. They had lost their integrity.

Disco came around, they danced a little jig with that scene for a while. The Pop Charts were a big lure on every artist and Kiss bought into that direction for a short stint. Pink Floyd had a large success doing a Prog Concept album with Bob Ezrin and Kiss wanted a piece of that. But, then they found girly-man Vinnie Vincent and the rewards of writing with outside help, professional songsmiths were enormous.

They were right on time to embrace the new wave, which was the highly dispicable, Metal-Lite of Kokk Rokk. This was a pair of pants, or should I say, 'a set of spandex' that felt right to the boys, and they wore that particular get-up proudly for the remainder of the 1980's. It felt so comfortable to them because they had done more than their share in creating this new sub-genre. KISS were one of the biggest flag-wavers of the Kokk Rokk era. And, no one shook their ass more in multi-colored spandex pants than Jon Bon Jovi and Paul Stanley.

Yes, KISS are a bunch of mighty fat pengas indeed....men that are greedy, opportunists who will latch onto and ride whatever wave is currently moving through music's ocean. What was it, either their 'Revenge' or 'Carnival of Souls' that they even sold out to, or at least made serious concessions to, the 'Grunge' era. These guys lost their own musical identity decades ago, and have been nothing more than a group of musical opportunists who will adapt to whatever surroundings are currently prevalent. Chameleons, that's what they is. Musical chameleons that much on massive man-meat.