THE NEW COMEDIES

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2009, 08:38 AM)
I know this is going back a few years, but 1999's Outside Providence is a really funny and enjoyable movie IMHO. More people should know about this movie. yes.gif

Very underrated flick..nice coming of age story

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2009, 08:38 AM)
I know this is going back a few years, but 1999's Outside Providence is a really funny and enjoyable movie IMHO. More people should know about this movie. yes.gif

No Goobs going back a few years isn't watching a film from 1999 it's listening to weirdly obscure prog album from 1972...

wink.gif

I really liked 40-Year Old Virgin and Garden State. I heart.gif Huckabees is another one I've watched several times. Most of the others are ok, but I wouldn't watch them again.

I do like the "Tiny Baby Jesus" riffing from Taladega Nights. laugh.gif

Oh, Nacho Libre had some funny moments, and I find myself asking my daughter if those are "the Lord's Cheeps" that she's eating.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2009, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 5 2009, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 5 2009, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 5 2009, 10:51 PM)
Aw, Anchorman is hilarious.

I thought ONE JOKE was funny the first time I saw it. Repeated viewings actually made it a little better... but not a lot.

The rival news teams battling gladiator-style...

Jack Black punting a dog off a bridge...

Will Ferrell playing "Aqualung" on jazz flute...

"Pleasuretown"...

Steve Carell as a mentally retarded meteorologist...

I love that movie.

That gladiator news team battle is EPIC!!! yes.gif

Ron: Rick where did you get that grenade?

Rick: I don't know

z7shysterical.gif

I killed a guy with a trident! tongue.gif

Public T.V. No commercials, no mercy! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 5 2009, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2009, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 5 2009, 03:20 PM)
I'd agree. But I do think we are dangerously close to Seth Rogen overkill. He has ANOTHER movie coming out, "Observe & Report" which I of course will be going to see  laugh.gif  The guy is hilarious.

Oh, and Goob, in your list of comedies you forgot one of my current faves: Pineapple Express.

I know, I missed it when it came out! I must rent. yes.gif

Yes, you must. James Franco is outstanding as Seth Rogen's pot dealer! applaudit.gif

I love seeing the cast of Freaks & Geeks (a great show that never got the chance it deserved) doing well.

I finally rented Pineapple Express and the wife and I just watched it.

I gotta say, we both seriously didn't like it. It was just way too harsh, kind of like Observe and Report was. It was way better than Observe and Report, but that's not saying a lot. At some point we were just waiting for it to be over.

I think I really love the comedies that have some kind of sweet story underneath the comedy like:

40 Year Old Virgin

Superbad

Knocked Up

I Love You, Man

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

It was clever and had its moments I enjoyed for sure, but overall I found it way harsh with excessive violence - I know that was kind of the point, but it just wasn't my style so much...

Alright, there's been a few disappointments as of late. Sure, who hasn't made a stinkery-doo every now and again. But, what I'm about to pass along to you will make up for all the bad shit you've had to endure. First off, heads up, 'Observe and Report' was like a really bad version of 'Paul Blart: Huge Fart'. Do not see. Not even remotely funny.

I seriously don't know how they can't nip these kind of failures in the bud before they even go into production. Someone should have been tapping on someone else's shoulder and been giving him the ol' 'cut the neck and have yer tongue hang out the side of ye mouth, with crossed-eyes' look. That woulda given someone somewhere some indication that they had a potential stinker on their hands. Bllpp!

But, there were a few recently ones that made me laugh, yet timidly so. Like 'Role Models' and 'Pineapple Express'. These two had their moments of laughter-inducing gags. But, nothing like how a brother be laughin' throughout something like Ricky Bobby and the tale of Talladega Nights. That schitt was way funny, son. Oh, man did I laugh and laugh and laugh.

Or, how about this frakkin Walk Hard movie? Are you fo real with that shit? That is Fun-ny. Now that is some funny-ass fare, my man. Which brings us to John C. Reilly and two other funny pharkin films of his. Guy is a funny pharker. They matched up Will Farrell and Reilly one more time in 'Step Brothers'. That was some funny schitt. No doubt. I think that Reilly has got some serious comedic chops. And, he's at a point where he doesn't necessarily need another comedy master on screen to bring it out.

Alright, now here's the sleeper hit. The one that ya probably haven't heard of yet, but the one which will totally make one of yer Sunday-Nights, possibly in mid-July/August, no doubt. The name of the movie is 'The Promotion'. Another John C. Reilly deal, but, this time, opposite Sean William Scott. This one you can tell was actually written, as opposed to being constructed around two stars that the film co. already had in mind. The movie really did seem like some serious smarts went into its assemblage. But, that doesn't detract from how inane and silly it can be at times. If you liked these other Reilly movies I mentioned, you gonna like this one as well. Two blokes fight over a managerial position at local supermarket. The premise is just rife with potential lunacies. Embrace and rent today.

A couple of days ago I saw the movie Role Models with Paul Rudd, Sean William Scott and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (aka McLovin). I remember the commercials for it on TV when it was out in the theaters, but it didn't look the remotest bit interesting.

Anyway, this movie was freakin hilarious! It also featured a hilarious performance by Jane Lynch, who was the manager of the stereo store in 40 Year Old Virgin. And Elizabeth Banks is always great (and ridiculously hot).

Seriously, this was one amazingly fun and ridiculously funny movies. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 30 2010, 12:16 PM)
A couple of days ago I saw the movie Role Models with Paul Rudd, Sean William Scott and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (aka McLovin). I remember the commercials for it on TV when it was out in the theaters, but it didn't look the remotest bit interesting.

Anyway, this movie was freakin hilarious! It also featured a hilarious performance by Jane Lynch, who was the manager of the stereo store in 40 Year Old Virgin. And Elizabeth Banks is always great (and ridiculously hot).

Seriously, this was one amazingly fun and ridiculously funny movies. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah! I watched Role Models the other night. It's was surprisingly funny.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 30 2010, 04:09 PM)
agree with OP 100%.
an old school guy with a recent release that is strong is Jim Carrie in Yes Man.
Hilarious and includes the sexy Zooey Deschanel.

I liked Yes Man, but IMHO it's nowhere near in the category of movies like 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, I Love You Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall or Role Models. Funny, but not in the same league...

Most of the movies mentioned in here I haven't seen. But of the ones that I DID see, I didn't like at all except for 40 Year Old Virgin & Happy Gilmore (although is that[HG] "a new comedy" since that's got to be about 15 years old).

I pretty much loathe Ben Stiller and TRIED to laugh at Zoolander but got nothing...at all. There are movies that are so stupid they are funny but Zoolander wasn't it for me. Starsky & Hutch...f***ing awful.

Austin Powers, even worse. I still believe the ONLY decent thing Mike Myers did was the Sprockets sketch on SN&L back in the late 80s or early 90s. And how the hell he was able to milk Wayne's World for 2 films I think HAD TO be connected to some deal he made with Satan. tongue.gif

Will Ferrell...the worst of them all imho.

I might just be getting old or these comedies keep getting shittier. I tend to think it's a combination of both. wink.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 30 2010, 06:45 PM)
Most of the movies mentioned in here I haven't seen.  But of the ones that I DID see, I didn't like at all except for 40 Year Old Virgin & Happy Gilmore (although is that[HG] "a new comedy" since that's got to be about 15 years old). 
I pretty much loathe Ben Stiller and TRIED to laugh at Zoolander but got nothing...at all.  There are movies that are so stupid they are funny but Zoolander wasn't it for me.  Starsky & Hutch...f***ing awful. 
Austin Powers, even worse.  I still believe the ONLY decent thing Mike Myers did was the Sprockets sketch on SN&L back in the late 80s or early 90s.  And how the hell he was able to milk Wayne's World for 2 films I think HAD TO be connected to some deal he made with Satan.  tongue.gif

I might just be getting old or these comedies keep getting shittier.  I tend to think it's a combination of both.  wink.gif

I'll give you Wayne's World. It worked great on SNL, but stretching it out to movie length didn't quite work - it was "cute" at best. The 2nd one was really pretty bad.

I can see how you might not like Zoolander (it's stupid, but intentionally so, and I just think it's out of control hysterical), but hating Austin Powers I don't get. Those first two movies are all out comedy classics - absolutely genius.

And I love Ben Stiller - mind you, he can't make a bad movie good (Starsky & Hutch, Dodgeball), but when the movie is funny, he's great.

I can't understand why Will Ferrell gets so slammed. Like Ben Stiller, he's been in his share of crappy movies, but he's also been in some really hilarious ones. Even when he's in a movie I only think is "ok" (Old School), I still think he's great - he totally commits to whatever idiocy he's portraying.

All that said, people seem to react very strongly to a lot of these movies - there is some middle ground, but I've found a lot of incidents where some people love one of these movies passionately, and others hate the same movie intensely. It's kind of odd actually...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 31 2010, 11:57 AM)
Most of the movies mentioned in here I haven't seen.  But of the ones that I DID see, I didn't like at all except for 40 Year Old Virgin & Happy Gilmore (although is that[HG] "a new comedy" since that's got to be about 15 years old). 
I pretty much loathe Ben Stiller and TRIED to laugh at Zoolander but got nothing...at all.  There are movies that are so stupid they are funny but Zoolander wasn't it for me.  Starsky & Hutch...f***ing awful. 
Austin Powers, even worse.  I still believe the ONLY decent thing Mike Myers did was the Sprockets sketch on SN&L back in the late 80s or early 90s.  And how the hell he was able to milk Wayne's World for 2 films I think HAD TO be connected to some deal he made with Satan.  tongue.gif

I might just be getting old or these comedies keep getting shittier.  I tend to think it's a combination of both.  wink.gif

I'll give you Wayne's World. It worked great on SNL, but stretching it out to movie length didn't quite work - it was "cute" at best. The 2nd one was really pretty bad.

I can see how you might not like Zoolander (it's stupid, but intentionally so, and I just think it's out of control hysterical), but hating Austin Powers I don't get. Those first two movies are all out comedy classics - absolutely genius.

And I love Ben Stiller - mind you, he can't make a bad movie good (Starsky & Hutch, Dodgeball), but when the movie is funny, he's great.

I can't understand why Will Ferrell gets so slammed. Like Ben Stiller, he's been in his share of crappy movies, but he's also been in some really hilarious ones. Even when he's in a movie I only think is "ok" (Old School), I still think he's great - he totally commits to whatever idiocy he's portraying.

All that said, people seem to react very strongly to a lot of these movies - there is some middle ground, but I've found a lot of incidents where some people love one of these movies passionately, and others hate the same movie intensely. It's kind of odd actually...

Oh, there are 2 movies with Stiller that I like or don't mind: Reality Bites...which actually isn't a full-on Ben movie anyways; the other is There's Something About Mary...people seem to have a real hard-on for this one. I thought it had some funny parts but it wasn't the hilarious riot that many claim.

If some of you are wondering what I think are hilarious movies, here are some of them: The Party (Peter Sellers), Animal House, Airplane & Naked Gun (2 movies that I thought were so stupid they were funny), Half-Baked, Friday...

I was on a flight last month and they were showing Ferrell in Elf. Man, it's as if they purposely show the worst movies on some airlines. tongue.gif

On that same flight though they showed some guitar documentary with Page, The Edge, and the dude from the White Stripes. That was cool at least.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 30 2010, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 31 2010, 11:57 AM)

Oh, there are 2 movies with Stiller that I like or don't mind: Reality Bites...which actually isn't a full-on Ben movie anyways; the other is There's Something About Mary...people seem to have a real hard-on for this one. I thought it had some funny parts but it wasn't the hilarious riot that many claim.

If some of you are wondering what I think are hilarious movies, here are some of them: The Party (Peter Sellers), Animal House, Airplane & Naked Gun (2 movies that I thought were so stupid they were funny), Half-Baked, Friday...

I was on a flight last month and they were showing Ferrell in Elf. Man, it's as if they purposely show the worst movies on some airlines. tongue.gif

On that same flight though they showed some guitar documentary with Page, The Edge, and the dude from the White Stripes. That was cool at least.

Reality Bites might not be a "full-on Ben movie" in terms of him being in it, but he DID direct it. wink.gif

Ben Stiller movies I love:

Reality Bites

There's Something About Mary

If Lucy Fell

Zoolander

Keeping the Faith

Meet the Parents

Meet the Fokkers

Flirting With Disaster

And I thought Elf was great! Yeah, it's totally corny and goofy, but I think it's a really fun and charming Christmas movie.

some of these movies are not awesome as complete flicks but have enough hilarious scenes to make them regular viewing for me. Even the classics conform to this to some extent. As a movie Caddyshack is actually pretty dumb but it is hilarious due to certain scenes and I will watch it over and over again.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 30 2010, 09:12 PM)
any fans of The Hangover here?

OMG yes... I loved that one. I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself.

One I also really like was Death To Smoochy. One of my favs for sure!This is what I'm talking about.... Death to Smoochy

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

I can't wait to see The Hangover!

I know some don't like it, but I think Tropic Thunder is hilarious. Great parody and satire.

"And who here is the key grip? You? You! Hit that director in the face, really f***ing hard!"

"Wow. You're a great American. This nation owes you a huge debt. Now shut the f**k up and let me do my job!"

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 31 2010, 10:01 PM)

I know some don't like it, but I think Tropic Thunder is hilarious. Great parody and satire.

"And who here is the key grip? You? You! Hit that director in the face, really f***ing hard!"

"Wow. You're a great American. This nation owes you a huge debt. Now shut the f**k up and let me do my job!"

the Hangover was good. Yes, Tropic Thunder was very funny. Downey Jr. was fantastic.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 31 2010, 07:01 PM)

I haven't seen the Hangover, but I look forward to seeing it when it comes to cable.

I really didn't like Tropic Thunder at all. Highly overrated IMHO...