Henderson and Rice voted to HoF

Arndrake

about f-n time RICE went in

1022.gif

Henderson was a no-brainer. Best base runner ever. Most lead-off home runs ever. Spectacular defensive player. Quite the big mouthed jack ass as well. tongue.gif

Glad to see Rice get his due. Not a first ballot guy, but certainly deserving.

So Rice wasn't good enough for the HOF 15 years ago but he is now? What's he done since his retirement to finally make him worthy? Did he help a team win the World Series? Has he moved up the all-time HR list? Has he won another MVP award, won a Gold Glove or been named to more all-star games?

There is only one logical explanation why someone should have to wait so long to be named a HOFer.....

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 01:43 AM)
So Rice wasn't good enough for the HOF 15 years ago but he is now? What's he done since his retirement to finally make him worthy? Did he help a team win the World Series? Has he moved up the all-time HR list? Has he won another MVP award, won a Gold Glove or been named to more all-star games?

There is only one logical explanation why someone should have to wait so long to be named a HOFer.....

I think WC addressed it partially. He wasn't first ballot worth but was worthy. This was his last shot, so they put him in. Makes sense to me.

Rice got screwed over for years. It was because the press didn't like him. Most of the old jerks who kept voting against him have retired. Getting along with the press is NOT a requirement to get elected. Jack Morris should be in the Hall also, but the press has no clue.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2009, 07:17 PM)
about f-n time RICE went in
1022.gif

Yes. It's amazing he didn't go sooner. He did it all with one team. A rarity!

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jan 13 2009, 12:07 PM)

I think WC addressed it partially. He wasn't first ballot worth but was worthy. This was his last shot, so they put him in. Makes sense to me.

But there isn't a 'first ballot HOF,' a 'second ballot HOF,' etc. Once you're in there's no difference to being first ballot or 15th so what's with the charade of making someone wait 15 years?

There is only one logical reason to holdoff voting someone in.....

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jan 13 2009, 12:51 PM)

Rice got screwed over for years. It was because the press didn't like him. Most of the old jerks who kept voting against him have retired. Getting along with the press is NOT a requirement to get elected. Jack Morris should be in the Hall also, but the press has no clue.

So the 'old jerks' that actually saw Rice (no slouch in the jerk department either) play have moved on and younger guys who never saw him play firsthand now have the authority to vote him in?

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 02:38 PM)

So the 'old jerks' that actually saw Rice (no slouch in the jerk department either) play have moved on and younger guys who never saw him play firsthand now have the authority to vote him in?

Why would you say Rice is a jerk? He is probably one of the nicest guy's in baseball.

We are talking about Jim Rice, correct?

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 02:34 PM)

But there isn't a 'first ballot HOF,' a 'second ballot HOF,' etc. Once you're in there's no difference to being first ballot or 15th so what's with the charade of making someone wait 15 years?

No there isn't. Basically, every year there are new eligible players to be voted. The vote happens. The case for what Rice has done warrants him making the HoF regardless of how many years it took.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 13 2009, 02:44 PM)

Why would you say Rice is a jerk? He is probably one of the nicest guy's in baseball.

Not knowing first hand I just have the accounts of him being a jerk, just like Bonds is described nowadays. The accounts also make mention that Rice was treated poorly and had some grounds towards being a jerk.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 13 2009, 01:46 PM)

No there isn't. Basically, every year there are new eligible players to be voted. The vote happens. The case for what Rice has done warrants him making the HoF regardless of how many years it took.

There is a difference between a 1st ballot no brainer and one that is not. I can understand why Rice wasn't a first ballot guy. Sometimes the field is too crowded. Rice's case is a little different. He should have been voted in several years ago but oh well......... At least he's in.

Half of these jerkoffs that are allowed to vote for the HOF should have their voting rights taken away imo.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 13 2009, 02:46 PM)

And you've hit on the logical reason of why it would take so long.

After 15 years we've seen a generation of players come and go so we now have a clearer picture of Rice's career, historically speaking. With the steroids debacle hanging over many players after Rice, his numbers can be seen in a better light.

Of course one could argue that if his (and anyone else's) career wasn't good enough to be voted into the HOF on the first ballot then such careers aren't HOF worthy.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 01:34 PM)

You've said this twice.

I am curious as to what you think the reason is?

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 13 2009, 03:11 PM)

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 01:34 PM)

You've said this twice.

I am curious as to what you think the reason is?

Answered in my previous post. Waiting quite a few years gives voters a better understanding of just how good a guy was. I guess it helps them make sure that they don't vote someone in that a few years later they'd change their mind about.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jan 13 2009, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 13 2009, 01:46 PM)

There is a difference between a 1st ballot no brainer and one that is not. I can understand why Rice wasn't a first ballot guy. Sometimes the field is too crowded. Rice's case is a little different. He should have been voted in several years ago but oh well......... At least he's in.

Half of these jerkoffs that are allowed to vote for the HOF should have their voting rights taken away imo.

Exactly! Even Babe Ruth didn't get voted in unanimously. Baseball has never had a player voted in unanimously. Stupid sportswriters need to put their egos aside. If they want to base the vote they have on whether a guy is nice or not, why the hell is Ty Cobb in the hall. He was a known racist, and even his teammates hated him.

.298 with 382 HR's and 1451 RBI's with 2452 hits...16 seasons

.303 with 284 HR's and 1205 RBI's with 2176...15 seasons

First guy is Rice...second guy is Will Clark. Rice gets in, what about Chili Davis? Andres Galarraga, Andre Dawson, Dale Murphy, and Moises Alou?

He was a good player. Terry Pendleton won an MVP and Dale Murphy won two. Doesn't matter. He was a solid, serviceable, Major Leaguer. Lots of guys were. Should he have a bust next to Willie Mays and Ted Williams? That's the question. Should he go into the Hall the same years as Rickey Henderson? Another question.

For me. No. He was a good ballplayer. The Hall should be for the greats. Henderson was one of the greats. Jim Rice has the same numbers as freakin' Dave Parker. C'mon.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 13 2009, 02:44 PM)

Not knowing first hand I just have the accounts of him being a jerk, just like Bonds is described nowadays. The accounts also make mention that Rice was treated poorly and had some grounds towards being a jerk.

You need to give more information than that. I've only heard good things from this end. I mean I've lived near Boston for 35 years. I went to baseball games as well as listened to them on the radio, watched on TV, not to mention reading the newspaper about it the next day.

In all these years, I've never heard of such a thing. Please release sources. I am curious.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jan 13 2009, 04:27 PM)
.298 with 382 HR's and 1451 RBI's with 2452 hits...16 seasons

.303 with 284 HR's and 1205 RBI's with 2176...15 seasons

First guy is Rice...second guy is Will Clark. Rice gets in, what about Chili Davis? Andres Galarraga, Andre Dawson, Dale Murphy, and Moises Alou?

He was a good player. Terry Pendleton won an MVP and Dale Murphy won two. Doesn't matter. He was a solid, serviceable, Major Leaguer. Lots of guys were. Should he have a bust next to Willie Mays and Ted Williams? That's the question. Should he go into the Hall the same years as Rickey Henderson? Another question.

For me. No. He was a good ballplayer. The Hall should be for the greats. Henderson was one of the greats. Jim Rice has the same numbers as freakin' Dave Parker. C'mon.

goodpost.gif

I couldn't agree more.

Archived