Old Boy

Slime

I just saw this movie on the weekend. In South Korea, you can go to places called DVD Bangs (Bang, sounds more like Bong or Bahng, is the word for room), where you rent movies for CHEAP (seven bucks) and watch them on a big ol' screen. It works very well for Koreans, who don't always have apartments suitable for giant screens and expensive home theater systems.

But that's not what I'm talking about tongue.gif

I'm talking about Old Boy, one of Korea's most famous recent movies (if you count 2003 as recent).

I won't spoil the movie, or any of the weirdness and "holy sh**!" things you may find therein. Many people know the movie from the "hammer in the hallway" scene, but that is an action sequence. The movie itself is not an action movie, or even a martial arts movie. There are some fights, but not enough to put it in the same category as Bruce Lee. Fisticuffs are not the focus. It is a horribly violent movie though, so if you don't like things that bleed, stay away tongue.gif

It was a damn good movie, though. The story and acting are both superb, and even the subtitled dialogue is pretty good. If you're one of those types who doesn't mind foreign films or subtitles, you should watch this one. Just don't squirm when Daesu is in the sushi shop tongue.gif

I love Oldboy, its in my top 10 favorite movies. I discovered it about a year ago and its just beautiful. Shocking too, but very well done. I had the ending/surprise blown for me, so I knew before I saw it, but I still really enjoyed it. Wonderful soundtrack as well.

I remember first watching it about three years ago. I was over at a friend's place with a couple of other people, we were generally chilling out , having a beer and wanted to watch a DVD.

One of us wandered off to the DVD rental place and came back with Old Boy, saying that it had been recommended by the guy behind the counter. None of us had heard of it, so we went into the watching experience completely fresh.

Cue a couple of hours of us all staring at the TV in utter confusion and trying to work out if that was the most amazing film we had ever seen, or just plain bizarre! We eventually decided on the former, and most of us subsequently went out and bought the DVD!

An immensely moving and challenging film, which never seems to fail to get a strong reaction from people who watch it! laugh.gif

I need to see this one.