MLB Hot Stove League 08/09

Arndrake

I'm surprised anagramking hadn't started this one already. As the Hot Stove season is already about a month underway, several things have already occurred.

As was already pointed out in a previous thread, Sabathia has become a very rich man. Now I've heard many writers say that the Yankees had no choice but I still feel these kind of actions are very bad for baseball as it forces the market value of all the free agents past what smaller teams can pay.

K-Rod joins the Mets, 3 years $37 mil

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the Mets primary issue has been their bullpen, they acquire JJ Putz from the Mariners in a huge three-team trade. The first big trade of new Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik came about because the Mets inquired about JJ but Jack was eyeing CF Franklin Guttierez in Cleveland. In addition to Guttierez, the M's also get RHP Aaron Heilman, CF Endy Chavez (who will probably play LF), and 4 minor leaguers in exchange for sending Putz, CF Jeremy Reed, and RHP Sean Green to the Mets. The M's sent IF Luis Valbuena (a minor leaguer) and the Mets sent RHP Joe Smith to Cleveland. I'm sad to see JJ leave Seattle but he was a valuable commodity on the trade market, plus there is a concern that injury is starting to creep into his career. Getting 7 players for 4 can be a pretty good deal, especially on the odds that 2 of them may have career years in Mariner uniforms. The only concern I have is that the M's primary need is offense, but that doesn't yet appear to be resolved.

Angels try to hold onto Texiera, but the Nats are making a big offer

I could see Texiera taking it as he is from the Maryland area. The only question is does he want to play close to home or does he want to play for a contender as it doesn't appear Washington or Baltimore will be ready to any time soon. I heard the Red Sox were also interested in him.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Dec 11 2008, 05:33 PM)
Theo, sign Texiera! With Ortiz coming back off a bad wrist, and Lowell having hip surgery, we need a reliable big bat in the middle of the lineup.

He's known as a cancer in the clubhouse. And you just got rid of one.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Dec 11 2008, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Dec 11 2008, 05:33 PM)
Theo, sign Texiera!  With Ortiz coming back off a bad wrist, and Lowell having hip surgery, we need a reliable big bat in the middle of the lineup.

He's known as a cancer in the clubhouse. And you just got rid of one.

Just curious, I hadn't heard that about Tex. I HATED seeing him leave the Braves, as did most of Atlanta.

We need a big bat here; Chipper had an awesome season last year, but he isn't getting any younger.

The Braves won't get one, though, until they finally get an owner willing to pony up the cash.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Dec 12 2008, 08:16 AM)
Just as I was afraid of, Derek Lowe's price is going up because of how the Yankees overpaid Sabathia.

I kept hearing a lot of sportswriters discuss that the faltering economy may finally settle this inflated free agent market. Then the Yankees turn around and pull a stunt that inflates it again.

So true. And we knew this was going to happen, especially for some other top talent. Because at that point, the thinking is, "Hey - thats the market price now!" Not sure how economy will affect this - seems to me that Citi and other companies will lay people off but keep their luxury boxes....

Speaking of which - did the near demise and bailout of Citi affect their lavish spending for the Mets new stadium??

the METS better get a starter soon

It looks like the Phillies sign OF Raul Ibanez to a three year $30 mil deal. As sad as I am to see Raul go, I think we M's fan had a sense that he would not be back as he wanted a long-term deal, he is 36, and his age and long-term contract wants were not compatible with the M's future plans.

What is it with Philly getting so many former Mariners? Moyer, Garcia (I realize that hasn't worked out at all for you), Dobbs, and now Ibanez.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Dec 12 2008, 03:45 PM)
It looks like the Phillies sign OF Raul Ibanez to a three year $30 mil deal. As sad as I am to see Raul go, I think we M's fan had a sense that he would not be back as he wanted a long-term deal, he is 36, and his age and long-term contract wants were not compatible with the M's future plans.

What is it with Philly getting so many former Mariners? Moyer, Garcia (I realize that hasn't worked out at all for you), Dobbs, and now Ibanez.

Hey, you guys have helped us out smile.gif We really like Dobbs in these parts too, and Moyer is from this area (although his rather large family still lives out your way).

The Phillies arent afraid of an older player, cause hell, well make another run this year, but as history goes, we wont likely repeat. So what the hell. Were just replacing Burrell, or trying to. The huge 3-man platoon idea doesnt seem plausible.. so bring in Ibanez...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 12 2008, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 12 2008, 04:04 PM)
Apparently, A.J. Burnett is a Yankee.  He's going to sign a five-year $82.5MM deal:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3765754

WAY too much for him............

Name one established player on the Yankees that isn't paid way too much! laugh.gif

Archived