FOOD

Janie

I've got tons of Tex-Mex recipes..especially a Tijuana Casserole that we make for the holidays.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I wish I could cook! I live on my own now and I swear everything I make tastes kinda funky, but I don't know if it's just a mental thing 'because I made it' or if it actually is crap.

Lo and behold - I went to the Island of Long for Christmas with the in-laws saturday the 20th., and someone made a Ziti -

So this is what we had, and it was good..

Baked Ziti (had some spinach in it, too)

Chicken cutlets

The salad I posted a few posts back

and

homemade cake! (for my pop in-law's birthday)

Just made the dinner list for the next few days. Tonight (Xmas Eve): Coq au vin with roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Tomorrow (Xmas): Bourbon and brown sugar flank steak with roasted carrots and roasted new potatoes. Looking forward to these two meals!

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 24 2008, 12:46 PM)
Just made the dinner list for the next few days. Tonight (Xmas Eve): Coq au vin with roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Tomorrow (Xmas): Bourbon and brown sugar flank steak with roasted carrots and roasted new potatoes. Looking forward to these two meals!

I made the coq au vin last night... amazing. And so easy. So many wonderful flavors. I skipped the mashed potatoes (the extra food was unnecessary). Instead I combined roasted garlic cloves with butter and smeared that over toasted french bread. The sauce was sweet, the chicken was fabulous and the carrots and onions were yummy. I'm definitely making this dish again and again and again.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 25 2008, 11:45 AM)
Just made the dinner list for the next few days. Tonight (Xmas Eve): Coq au vin with roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Tomorrow (Xmas): Bourbon and brown sugar flank steak  with roasted carrots and roasted new potatoes. Looking forward to these two meals!

I made the coq au vin last night... amazing. And so easy. So many wonderful flavors. I skipped the mashed potatoes (the extra food was unnecessary). Instead I combined roasted garlic cloves with butter and smeared that over toasted french bread. The sauce was sweet, the chicken was fabulous and the carrots and onions were yummy. I'm definitely making this dish again and again and again.

well let me know ahead of time when you plan to make this, and i'll be sure to be there!!

coy.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 26 2008, 06:52 AM)
Just made the dinner list for the next few days. Tonight (Xmas Eve): Coq au vin with roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Tomorrow (Xmas): Bourbon and brown sugar flank steak  with roasted carrots and roasted new potatoes. Looking forward to these two meals!

well let me know ahead of time when you plan to make this, and i'll be sure to be there!!

coy.gif

i was thinking nearly the same thing...except, maybe she could just post the recipe and i could give it a shot myself.

but if you deliver...all the better! lol

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 26 2008, 03:52 AM)

coy.gif

Will do!

Last night I made the bourbon and brown sugar flank steak. It was equally yummy and incredibly easy. It would be perfect in the summer to do on the grill but it made for a great cold winters day meal too.

BOURBON AND BROWN SUGAR FLANK STEAK

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup minced green onions

1/4 cup bourbon

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 (2-lb) flank steak

1/2 tsp cornstarch

Combine brown sugar, green onions, bourbon, soy sauce, mustard, pepper and Worcestershire sauce in a large ziplock bag; add steak and coat well. Seal and marinate up to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove steak from bag, reserve marinade.

Sear steak on both sides over medium heat (up to 10 minutes per side - depending on how you prefer your steak). I like steak pretty pink so I think I seared it for maybe 5 minutes on each side. Let steak stand while preparing sauce. For sauce: Put reserved marinade in small pan, add cornstarch, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Voila!

Note: When drizzling extra sauce over meat, use just a small (SMALL!) amount. I found it to be a pretty intense, deep, salty flavor. Too much would be sensory overkill.

Try it. You'll be surprised how easy and good this is.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 31 2008, 10:27 AM)
What's a good dessert to follow jambalaya? We're going to a dinner tomorrow night to celebrate New Years Day and the host is making jambalaya. I said I'd bring a dessert.

Any suggestions?

A fruit flavored gelato or ice cream?

Jambalya is spicy isn't it?

Homemade Bam for dry rub mixture. Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Cumin. Combine in large bowl slowly then rub spareribs and grill, never basting with sauce. Add sauce on side later for true Missouri Style. 2.gif 1022.gif

I just wanted to say, I'm not offended this thread is in NWW, but I am the cook in my house. I have been cooking for almost 30 years. My wife can cook, but only because I taught her how. Thats all I wanted to say. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 31 2009, 01:24 PM)
I just wanted to say, I'm not offended this thread is in NWW, but I am the cook in my house. I have been cooking for almost 30 years. My wife can cook, but only because I taught her how. Thats all I wanted to say. atickhum.gif

Does she "burn the rolls" as well as you?

(I don't think you will ever live that down! AND I WASN'T EVEN THERE!)

Not to brag, but I made this tasty maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, ginger glaze last night that I basted over salmon. Really good! I think I used 2 Tbl soy sauce, 1/2 cup maple syrup, probably 1/4 tsp chopped ginger and 1 small garlic clove, chopped to 1 lb salmon. I reduced the glaze while the salmon was baking and then coated it just before it was done, turning the salmon in the glaze to get well-coated. I served it with steamed broccoli and french bread. Light and tasty. Healthy too.

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 13 2009, 10:45 AM)
Not to brag, but I made this tasty maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, ginger glaze last night that I basted over salmon. Really good! I think I used 2 Tbl soy sauce, 1/2 cup maple syrup, probably 1/4 tsp chopped ginger and 1 small garlic clove, chopped to 1 lb salmon. I reduced the glaze while the salmon was baking and then coated it just before it was done, turning the salmon in the glaze to get well-coated. I served it with steamed broccoli and french bread. Light and tasty. Healthy too.

Yum. I am a fan of all things ginger. I make a sauce with hoisin sauce, ketchup, a little Asian hot chili sauce (that stuff WILL blister the skin right off of your tongue if you aren't careful), grated ginger, garlic, and a tiny dash of soy. I have a dish called "Hot & Sticky Chicken"; it's legs and thighs (skinned) cooked in this sauce and served over rice.