Civil War Re-Enacting

kazzman

Just wondering, but is anybody here involved with Civil War Re-Enacting, or has even seen one for that matter? Some of you already know this, but I'm involved with the hobby. My friends are also attempting to start up a local unit and since I'm the only guy in our school who knows what to do, I've been given the task of training the poor imbeciles into soldiers... I almost feel bad for them when they're gonna be done... almost.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 16 2005, 06:51 PM)
Just wondering, but is anybody here involved with Civil War Re-Enacting, or has even seen one for that matter? Some of you already know this, but I'm involved with the hobby. My friends are also attempting to start up a local unit and since I'm the only guy in our school who knows what to do, I've been given the task of training the poor imbeciles into soldiers... I almost feel bad for them when they're gonna be done... almost.

The father of a very good friend of my wife's is very involved in Civil War history, and has taken part in reenactments before. I think he did one at Gettysburg not too long ago. If you need more info, I can see what I can find out for you.

I hope you're not like the Civil War groups we have here in the UK (the English Civil War I mean0 like the Sealed Knot. Those guys are seriously deranged, especially the pike men, and the post battle booze-up is usually held after a visit to the local A+E

I've been to a few when I was younger and lived in Northern VA. My brother-in-law is big into the Civil War. He was a re-enactor for many years when they lived in PA and NY. Only a few battlefields in this area of Arkansas, but we all go to them when they have them, if we can. They're really cool! But he's into relic hunting more now. He's really good at it. Got tons of bullets, buckels, buttons, artillery shells, you name it. He even found one artillery shell near the Pea Ridge Battlefield that changed the known history of what guns were really present at the battle. He's a walking history book. I love going through all the stuff he's found.

Anyway, i've always loved Civil War stuff... even went to Gettysburg for a couple days during our honeymoon. We both loved it! That's really cool you do that Kazz, how long have you been doing it now?

i've been to two REVOLUTIONARY RE-ENACTMENTS in LEXINGTON, MA; "the shot heard round the world" and have been to one in CONCORD. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i went to WINCHESTER, VA to see another re-enactment starring CUSTER and that other IRISH CAVALRY DUDE

i have been to GETTYSBURG, PA for another re-enactment. i ran into the historian BRIAN PONHAKA (SP) when in character. he helped out with the CIVIL WAR JOURNAL hosted by DANNY GLOVER.

i am a huge fan of SMITHSONIAN'S GREAT BATTLES OF THE CIVIL WAR and worship JAMES MCPHERSON

Well I'm back from an evening that pretty much consisted of me yelling the whole time at the kids who couldn't pick up the easies manuvers right away... If their progress keeps up, I'm not going to have a voice for the next couple of weeks.

I might as well include a brief background of my experienc.

I've been re-enacting for 4 years now. I'm currently involved with the 2nd Virginia, 27th Virginia, 2nd Maryland (CSA), the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves, and this unit. I do about 2 or 3 events per month during the season (March - October). I own two 1853 model Enfield rifles (one European Arms and the other an Army Sport). I've been to events such as 1st Bull Run (Manassas), Antietam, Gettysburg, Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg. I've got a ton of stories so if anybody wants to hear some of them, just simply ask and I'll share a few.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 16 2005, 07:11 PM)
Well I'm back from an evening that pretty much consisted of me yelling the whole time at the kids who couldn't pick up the easies manuvers right away... If their progress keeps up, I'm not going to have a voice for the next couple of weeks.

I've been re-enacting for 4 years now. I'm currently involved with the 2nd Virginia, 27th Virginia, 2nd Maryland (CSA), the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves, and this unit. I do about 2 or 3 events per month during the season (March - October). I own two 1853 model Enfield rifles (one European Arms and the other an Army Sport). I've been to events such as 1st Bull Run (Manassas), Antietam, Gettysburg, Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg. I've got a ton of stories so if anybody wants to hear some of them, just simply ask and I'll share a few.

hehehe I liked the ghost one that you told me about.....scary....cool stuff you do tho kazz! Keep it up...sounds cool! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif smile.gif

last year the entire 8th grade went to williamsburg VA & while we were there, we got to see some re-enactments about life in early america..the guy doing the cannon fire was incredibly hot. wub.gif laugh.gif our guide said we weren't allowed to take him home with us wink.gif

can't remember the others, but they were pretty educational. what a noble cause! smile.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 16 2005, 09:11 PM)

Very, very impressive Kazz. This is something to really be proud of. Good luck in whipping these new guys into shape. What are some of the things you must teach them? And yeah - please share anything you can about your experiences. It would be awesome to read. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

One year we were at the 138th anniversary of Gettysburg. At that time we had two black guys in our unit (may I remind you we were/are a Confederate group). Anyway, one guy was about as big a gorilla while the other guy was your typical mid 20's male. The larger guy (Tom) went into one of the johns to take a dump. The other guy (Dane) followed him and waited for a few seconds. He then started to shake the john that Tom was in and quickly ran back to camp which was only about 15 yeards away. Tom came out, hot headed, asking who did it. Naturally, we all point to Dane to piss him off. Tom swears revenge...

Two days later, Dane still hadn't taken a shit because he knew Tom would get him back. Later that day, Tom says he's going to check out the suttlers (vendors) and see what equipment they have in stock. As soon as he's out of sight, Dane runs to the johns to take a shit. A minute later, Tom comes back in order to get Dane back. He asks us which john he was in. The guy who was helping him get Dane back, pointed to which one he was in. Tom gets behind it, runs full force at it and slams his body right into it, knocking it over while Dane's still in there. What made it better was that he hit it so the door was on the ground...

I used to be a big Gettysburg nut. Living close to DC, Gettysburg was a little over an hour away driving, and I remember going up there dozens of times as a kid, definatly enjoyed that. I also watched that 6 hour movie at least 100 times as well, lol. Which battles do you do, or do you just going around doing as many as you can.

Also when you did Gettysburg, which regiment were you in, where and which day were you killed off if you were. Where were you fighting each day?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 16 2005, 11:15 PM)
Also when you did Gettysburg, which regiment were you in, where and which day were you killed off if you were. Where were you fighting each day?

We were there fighting each day. The first day we did the opening skirmishes of the battle. The second day we did both Little Round Top and the Wheatfield. The last day we did Pickett's Charge and were one of the few regiments to make it to the wall and actually get to cross it...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 16 2005, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 16 2005, 11:15 PM)
Also when you did Gettysburg, which regiment were you in, where and which day were you killed off if you were.  Where were you fighting each day?

We were there fighting each day. The first day we did the opening skirmishes of the battle. The second day we did both Little Round Top and the Wheatfield. The last day we did Pickett's Charge and were one of the few regiments to make it to the wall and actually get to cross it...

Wow very nice, Little Round Top was my favorite portion of that battle, just loved how it ended in a bayonette charge by a single regiment to win. I remember a few times going to Devils Den and climbing across all of the rocks trying to scale them, I had a lot of fun going there. I dont think I quite appreciated yet at that point what had gone on there, but I just knew that I wanted to learn as much as I could about what had gone on those 3 days. I think actually being able to visit such a place really peaked my interest in it, and that is the only thing that I think historically I have ever really gotten into. Very cool Kazz, that sounds like so much fun.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 16 2005, 08:38 PM)
One year we were at the 138th anniversary of Gettysburg. At that time we had two black guys in our unit (may I remind you we were/are a Confederate group). Anyway, one guy was about as big a gorilla while the other guy was your typical mid 20's male. The larger guy (Tom) went into one of the johns to take a dump. The other guy (Dane) followed him and waited for a few seconds. He then started to shake the john that Tom was in and quickly ran back to camp which was only about 15 yeards away. Tom came out, hot headed, asking who did it. Naturally, we all point to Dane to piss him off. Tom swears revenge...

Two days later, Dane still hadn't taken a shit because he knew Tom would get him back.  Later that day, Tom says he's going to check out the suttlers (vendors) and see what equipment they have in stock. As soon as he's out of sight, Dane runs to the johns to take a shit. A minute later, Tom comes back in order to get Dane back. He asks us which john he was in. The guy who was helping him get Dane back, pointed to which one he was in. Tom gets behind it, runs full force at it and slams his body right into it, knocking it over while Dane's still in there. What made it better was that he hit it so the door was on the ground...

rofl3.gif

*regains composure* ahem

What a shiddy thing to do!

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 17 2005, 12:29 PM)
Well, it looks like I'm gonna be doing some more yelling tonight. The unit's commander called me just now and asked if I could help with the drill tonight...

What does that mean, are you getting ready for another battle, or do you guys train with eachother during times you arent reenacting battles? Or are you preparing for one, and if so where are you off to?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 17 2005, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 17 2005, 12:29 PM)
Well, it looks like I'm gonna be doing some more yelling tonight. The unit's commander called me just now and asked if I could help with the drill tonight...

What does that mean, are you getting ready for another battle, or do you guys train with eachother during times you arent reenacting battles? Or are you preparing for one, and if so where are you off to?

Basicly the unit I'm drilling tonight is made up of a bunch of the kids in my school. They're just starting out and since I'm the only person in the whole school who knows what he's doing, I've been asked to help train them. The re-enacting season doesn't officially start until next month, but during the offseason (November- February) you can expect a lot of meetings to get things set up for the next season, and to also drill so you stay in shape and don't forget the commands and manuvers.

I got another story to post which I'll do tonight if y'all are interested...

Ok since I have some spare time I think I'll share my next one. This occured last April during a muster (big meeting and drill with various units). Me and my buddies from among the Confederate camp formed our own camp on a hill top. We were equipped with essential bottle of vodka... Later on, after we were all really, really, drunk; the Yanks decided to play a joke on us and started advancing up the hill with their rifles (this is at night, may I remind you). One kid decides to get them back so he grabs the shot gun that we had, loads it right next to the fire (it's a miracle he didn't drop anything, considering how drunk he was). He then kneels down and fires the weapon. The kick was powerfull enough (and he was drunk enough) to send him tumbling down the hill... The next 10 minutes were occupied by him climbing back up the hill all in the while saying "I gotta do that again"

The next morning, wasn't so pleasent...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 17 2005, 02:00 PM)
Ok since I have some spare time I think I'll share my next one. This occured last April during a muster (big meeting and drill with various units). Me and my buddies from among the Confederate camp formed our own camp on a hill top. We were equipped with essential bottle of vodka... Later on, after we were all really, really, drunk; the Yanks decided to play a joke on us and started advancing up the hill with their rifles (this is at night, may I remind you). One kid decides to get them back so he grabs the shot gun that we had, loads it right next to the fire (it's a miracle he didn't drop anything, considering how drunk he was). He then kneels down and fires the weapon. The kick was powerfull enough (and he was drunk enough) to send him tumbling down the hill... The next 10 minutes were occupied by him climbing back up the hill all in the while saying "I gotta do that again"

The next morning, wasn't so pleasent...

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Archived