Civil War Re-Enacting

kazzman

i went to this reenactment at gettysburg and it was awesome: in the middle of the fight the rains came and the loudest blast of lightning scared the f**k out of the whole goddamned place and promptly sent the rebels into their holla

they were so charged by that...there was no way the yanks were gonna win that day

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 17 2005, 01:10 AM)
I went to Gettysburg this summer...I found it quite boring...I'm just not a civil war person.

A coulple of "civil war reenactors" came to my school last year and spent 2 hours telling us about clothing women wore in the 1860s.

i found it awesome: a nice slice of americana, incredible sacred history, don troiani art, all the books you could ever want, dedicated natioal park guides, great people, cheap beer....what's not to love? it's f*cking gettysburg!!!!

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 17 2005, 11:06 PM)
i went to this reenactment at gettysburg and it was awesome: in the middle of the fight the rains came and the loudest blast of lightning scared the f**k out of the whole goddamned place and promptly sent the rebels into their holla

they were so charged by that...there was no way the yanks were gonna win that day

Battles in the rain are great. We did one battle one year where we were literally fighting through a swamp. It was eerie too when you look infront and behind you and see nothing but Civil War soldiers in a swampy woodland. Another time we had to sneak around the Federal Lines for a sneak attack, so we sent a scout out to scout the terrain and enemy positions. When he got back he told us the woods were perfect to use and were perfectly fine (it had poured about 6 inches of rain the night before and the ground was still pertty soaked). Little did we know, we marched right through a swamp. It was so bad that guys shoes were litterally being sucked off their feet because of the mud. The one captain told me and another guy "That's the last time I send a former marine out to scout the territory."

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 17 2005, 11:40 PM)
that was the renactment where everyone went home a day early cause of all the rain...1996? 7? heard stories about that one where no one could get their trucks out of the mud?

No both of these happened last year. One was in Ohio, near Lisbon last October and the other was last July in northwestern PA.

Groovy Kazz! I myself used to do SCA--medeival reenacting. (Except with soap and toilets). I've always wanted to try Civil War and Old West reenacting. Course that's just cause I'll do anything for a corset...

Yeah, I just need to find them and get them scanned first.

BTW, the History Channel is doing a Battlefield Detectives marathon all day and they're showing the episode on the battle of Gettysburg tonight at 7 PM EST.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 19 2005, 01:00 PM)
Yeah, I just need to find them and get them scanned first.

BTW, the History Channel is doing a Battlefield Detectives marathon all day and they're showing the episode on the battle of Gettysburg tonight at 7 PM EST.

Veddy interesting, I know what I'm watching tonight cool.gif

Archived