Alex Lifeson and Cricket

King Troll

It's well documented that Geddy has some strange fascination, with that game of "Poof's rounders" but not many people know of Lerxst's association with the world's greatest game - Cricket.

Many, many years ago, back in the METAL DAZE when there were still Dragons to be slain and flagons of foaming ale to be quaffed, a group of my METAL mates decided to form a Cricket team to play friendly games. With a preponderance of them being Rush fans there was only one thing they could be called - YYZ.

Of course when you have named your team after a Rush song you need to let Rush know, so the team Captain decided that it would be a great idea if one of the Rush members were the Honorary Club president. This of course necessitated deciding on whom to approach. Neil was first to be dismissed because he's a miserable and unfriendly type, as the team's occasional scorer I persuaded them that Geddy should be ruled out as he looked like a Parrot, and might come over to try and eat the "Cherry". So by a process of elimination it was decided to ask Alex and a carrier pigeon was sent out to Albion's premier Dominion.

Eventually a mail Moose made it's way over to England bearing the message that Alex would be delighted to be the honorary president, and he kindly donated a Magnum of champagne for the club's use. Said Champers was duly drunk at the club's end of season awards dinner, of which I partook. So there you have it I got a drink of Lerxst.

Of course the YYZ Cricket club no longer exists, it broke up acrimoniously after it split in two arguing over whether it was an HM Cricket club, or a Progressive Cricket Club tongue.gif

laugh.gif I can believe (most of) it. Alex would be good-natured about that sort of thing.

How can one not love the British sense of humour if not just for it's many peculiarities.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 17 2008, 05:05 PM)
laugh.gif  I can believe (most of) it.  Alex would be good-natured about that sort of thing.

Thanks for the belief, it is actually true.

I keep meaning to ask the club captain if I can scan in any of his old Rush/Cricket memorabila, but whenever i ring his doorbell he keeps telling me he's not in..................................... confused13.gif

http://api.ning.com/files/XDhIWpkRMRf*6P*Hlsx*afKFp4iFu9OsVogduuiAt-U8DOJyOYdeClbVrRp-6QZkA37Ls*vEXYakFnLT3f7pm6xgvC%20C1AF9C/epicFAIL.jpg Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 17 2008, 07:10 PM)
"Poof's rounders" WTF is that?

unsure.gif

some kind of snack?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 17 2008, 07:41 PM)

unsure.gif

some kind of snack?

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

It's baseball of course, but I have to wonder if anyone has ever died playing a fortnight long round of Cricket. 'Poof's Rounders' has killed more than a couple. wink.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 17 2008, 03:55 PM)
It's well documented that Geddy has some strange fascination, with that game of "Poof's rounders" but not many people know of Lerxst's association with the world's greatest game - Cricket.

Many, many years ago, back in the METAL DAZE when there were still Dragons to be slain and flagons of foaming ale to be quaffed, a group of my METAL mates decided to form a Cricket team to play friendly games. With a preponderance of them being Rush fans there was only one thing they could be called - YYZ.

Of course when you have named your team after a Rush song you need to let Rush know, so the team Captain decided that it would be a great idea if one of the Rush members were the Honorary Club president. This of course necessitated deciding on whom to approach. Neil was first to be dismissed because he's a miserable and unfriendly type, as the team's occasional scorer I persuaded them that Geddy should be ruled out as he looked like a Parrot, and might come over to try and eat the "Cherry". So by a process of elimination it was decided to ask Alex and a carrier pigeon was sent out to Albion's premier Dominion.

Eventually a mail Moose made it's way over to England bearing the message that Alex would be delighted to be the honorary president, and he kindly donated a Magnum of champagne for the club's use. Said Champers was duly drunk at the club's end of season awards dinner, of which I partook. So there you have it I got a drink of Lerxst.

Of course the YYZ Cricket club no longer exists, it broke up acrimoniously after it split in two arguing over whether it was an HM Cricket club, or a Progressive Cricket Club tongue.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Sep 17 2008, 08:50 PM)

unsure.gif

some kind of snack?

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

It's baseball of course, but I have to wonder if anyone has ever died playing a fortnight long round of Cricket. 'Poof's Rounders' has killed more than a couple. wink.gif

And "Poofs' Rounders" games will soon rival cricket time-wise, now that there's instant replay. eyesre4.gif

The only game invented by Americans is Basketball. Everything else is just a bastardisation of games that were exported. And don't tell me it should be a 'z' (Zed not Zee) in Bastardisation because you are wrong. And there IS a 'u' in Colour.

For a country that gets so much right, .. ..

Any Hoo. Quality posting and of course, its Heavy Metal Cricket ..

Rush always get slapped with the Prog label because some of their work kinda sounds like Led Zep, Pink Floyd etc .. but hey .. it doesn't matter.

Rush have mellowed, like all bands do. Its no good waiting for the next Moving Pictures or Farewell To Kings .. it'll never happen. You missed it.

Get over it

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 17 2008, 01:55 PM)

LOL.gif

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Sep 19 2008, 12:56 PM)
The only game invented by Americans is Basketball. Everything else is just a bastardisation of games that were exported. And don't tell me it should be a 'z' (Zed not Zee) in Bastardisation because you are wrong. And there IS a 'u' in Colour.

For a country that gets so much right,  ..  ..

1287.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 17 2008, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Sep 17 2008, 08:50 PM)

unsure.gif

some kind of snack?

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

And "Poofs' Rounders" games will soon rival cricket time-wise, now that there's instant replay. eyesre4.gif

As boring as baseball is, I have trouble considering a game that can break for tea and cucumber sandwiches as sport.

Now Rugby on the other hand...

QUOTE (eguy @ Sep 19 2008, 09:14 AM)
As boring as baseball is, I have trouble considering a game that can break for tea and cucumber sandwiches as sport.
Now Rugby on the other hand...

There's a reason for the Cucumber Sarnies, they're easier to chew when you don't have teeth!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/23/article-1021578-015D0A5700000578-293_468x286.jpg

Cricket, the world's greatest game. No other sport has allowed to enjoy Champers from Lerxst, and a Chocolate Eclair from Brian Bolus.

As for Rugby: Union or League (The correct answer is League tha nose)

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 19 2008, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Sep 19 2008, 06:56 AM)
The only game invented by Americans is Basketball.

I always thought Basketball was poof's netball wink.gif tongue.gif

Other way round, mate yes.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 19 2008, 09:32 AM)
As for Rugby: Union or League (The correct answer is League tha nose)

Sorry, giraffe fart

Hold the phone and back up the truck.

A CANADIAN invented basketball. He may have been in the US (boston) when he invented it, but make no mistake about it... Basketball was invented by a Canadian. yes.gif

QUOTE (Atomic @ Sep 23 2008, 12:59 PM)

Hold the phone and back up the truck.

A CANADIAN invented basketball. He may have been in the US (boston) when he invented it, but make no mistake about it... Basketball was invented by a Canadian. yes.gif

Yes, James Naismith(sp?)............a Canadian indeed..............