Hurricane Gustav

tupelobarchetta

Hurricane Gustav will make landfall in south Louisiana sometime Monday night. It's already being predicted to be one of the worst storms to hit the United States, even worse than Katrina three years ago.

I live in the northeast corner of Mississippi, and already our hotels and motels in this region are filling up with people from the Gulf Coast.

Let's send our thoughts and prayers to the people of New Orleans, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and south Louisiana - and especially to our fellow Rush friends in those areas. I hope they are taking shelter far from Gustav. From all indications, this is no storm to ride out.

If you're a TRF member affected by the storm and you're checking from a safe location, please let us know where you're staying and how you and your loved ones are doing.

Godspeed to everyone!

I hope everyone makes it out okay.

I got to see some of this this morning on the news.

I wish there were something that we could do to

help all of these people stay safe. sad.gif

Thoughts and prayers to all.

Everybody down there take care of yourselves!

Let's hope everyone takes this evacuation to heart and get the hell out of New Orleans and the rest of the area.We don't need another disaster like Katrina.

Last report I've seen Gustav has weakened to a category 3 but will get strong again.

I pray that the storm won't hit New Orleans head-on, but this is still very bad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected, and of course to our TRF members who live in that area. (rushbass, I hope you're OK!)

Hello Friends,

As some of y'all may know I live in suburbia New Orleans; here we go again.

I have a cousin who works for the Corps of Engineers and he told us to "...get the f--- out...".

With that, I live in East Jefferson Parish where it's expected to get some heavy wind & rain. Over in West Jefferson, across the Mississippi River, they are projected to get nailed big time by storm surge and other Cat 3 or 4 or 5 factors; it's not gonna be nice...at all.

We all feared when Katrina came into our lives three years ago; we thought it was THE BIG ONE; and it was/still is because it changed many peoples' lives forever.

Now with Kat's little brother Gustav, this bad boy is juiced up on steroids and when he hits us within 24 hours, it's gonna hurt.

I'm at my cousin's house in Baton Rouge, having been here for almost 3 hours now. An uncle who's still back home in Metairie said that the storm clouds starting approaching around 11.

There's gonna be a lot going on within the next 24 hours...and then some.

Talk to y'all later.

Take care my Friends.

QUOTE (Saint NIck @ Aug 31 2008, 01:13 PM)
Hello Friends,
As some of y'all may know I live in suburbia New Orleans; here we go again.
I have a cousin who works for the Corps of Engineers and he told us to "...get the f--- out...".
With that, I live in East Jefferson Parish where it's expected to get some heavy wind & rain. Over in West Jefferson, across the Mississippi River, they are projected to get nailed big time by storm surge and other Cat 3 or 4 or 5 factors; it's not gonna be nice...at all.
We all feared when Katrina came into our lives three years ago; we thought it was THE BIG ONE; and it was/still is because it changed many peoples' lives forever.
Now with Kat's little brother Gustav, this bad boy is juiced up on steroids and when he hits us within 24 hours, it's gonna hurt.
I'm at my cousin's house in Baton Rouge, having been here for almost 3 hours now. An uncle who's still back home in Metairie said that the storm clouds starting approaching around 11.
There's gonna be a lot going on within the next 24 hours...and then some.
Talk to y'all later.
Take care my Friends.

Good to hear from you St. Nick! I'm glad you're upstream of this thing.

I hope your uncle gets out of Metairie soon. Stay safe and thanks for checking in with us!

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Aug 31 2008, 08:11 AM)
Hurricane Gustav will make landfall in south Louisiana sometime Monday night. It's already being predicted to be one of the worst storms to hit the United States, even worse than Katrina three years ago.

I live in the northeast corner of Mississippi, and already our hotels and motels in this region are filling up with people from the Gulf Coast.

Let's send our thoughts and prayers to the people of New Orleans, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and south Louisiana - and especially to our fellow Rush friends in those areas. I hope they are taking shelter far from Gustav. From all indications, this is no storm to ride out.

If you're a TRF member affected by the storm and you're checking from a safe location, please let us know where you're staying and how you and your loved ones are doing.

tupelo, thanks for starting this thread.

I have noticed a whole lot of Louisiana and south Mississippi vehicle tags over the last several days here in east central Mississippi too.

The days of hurricane parties are long gone.

We're about 265 road miles - or 426 kilometers - inland from the coast, which will get pounded for sure.

Even if Gustav continues to weaken before it makes landfall, it will still pack a punch and as few people as possible need to be around it when it hits.

Coastal TRFers, please continue to check in!

The latest update I got this afternoon is that the eye of the storm will pass about 6-10 miles from my house in Lafayette. I'll be fine as I'm stuck in Brazil at the moment but I'm worried that if there's damage to my house I won't be able to do anything about it until I get home a few days after the storm. My relief was scheduled to fly down today but they imposed the mandatory evacuation so they had to nix that.

My sisters and brothers that live in the area are evacuating if they haven't already so they'll be fine too. I just hope their homes make out okay too.

I decided to ride out Gustav here in Biloxi Mississippi, because I am not in a flood zone, and the projections were that the storm's major impact would be west of us... prayers going out to all in the New Orleans / Louisiana area!

I am all boarded up and stocked with supplies, so hopefully we should be okay here (barring any tornados that might form - the NE quadrant of a hurricane is notorious for spawning these).

We are still going to get heavy rains, winds up to 75 mph ( current projections), and some storm surge up to 10 ft (current projections) on the coastal areas and waterways. It is highly probable that my area will lose power... hopefully, only for a couple of days max...

Keep all affected by this storm in your thoughts and prayers...

Here are some pics that I just took a little while ago, right before the rain started coming in...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01181.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01182.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01183.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01184.jpg

And, as soon as I snapped those pics, and stepped back on the porch, the first of the rain and winds started! It's going to be a long 24+ hours...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01187.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01186.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01185.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01188.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01189.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Gustav/DSC01190.jpg

To Saint Nick and all our other Louisiana members - please stay stafe, and take care... you are in our prayers!

Many, many prayers to those in the storm's path.

Gustav, go away. And take Hanna with you.

It's great to hear from both of you, St. Nick and Rushbass.

St. Nick, I have a friend who lives in Kenner. She and her husband live on one street, and their daughter lives a couple of streets over with her husband and three daughters. Their homes suffered flood damage from Katrina.

They left Kenner at 5 this morning for shelter in Oxford. My mother-in-law spoke with them by phone about noon, and they said it took them six hours to reach Jackson. My mother-in-law said our friend, who's normally a cheerful, optimistic person who thrives on living in the New Orleans area, was very distraught during their conversation. She had been hospitalized recently with back and leg pain and is supposed to be off her feet for six weeks. With all of the physical pain and the emotional pain she's going through, it hurts to think that she's at her breaking point.

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Aug 31 2008, 10:58 PM)
It's great to hear from both of you, St. Nick and Rushbass.

St. Nick, I have a friend who lives in Kenner. She and her husband live on one street, and their daughter lives a couple of streets over with her husband and three daughters. Their homes suffered flood damage from Katrina.

They left Kenner at 5 this morning for shelter in Oxford. My mother-in-law spoke with them by phone about noon, and they said it took them six hours to reach Jackson. My mother-in-law said our friend, who's normally a cheerful, optimistic person who thrives on living in the New Orleans area, was very distraught during their conversation. It hurts to think she's at her breaking point.

I cannot imagine what it's like to be facing this again so soon after Katrina. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path.

I used to live in Kenner which is about 7 miles west of New Orleans....I feel so sad for everyone down there. I truly hope Gustav makes a westward turn as New Orleans could conceivably be missed completely. It will get some rain and flooding, but if Gustav goes more North, and intensifies to a Cat4, then Lake Ponchartrain will have to soak up a 15-20 foot storm surge again and with the levees being incomplete, WHAM-O....Katrina all over again.

Everyone Pray Now....

I saw on the news tonight that the storm has been downgraded but my thoughta are all with you as this storm is still meant to pack a mean punch. Stay safe all TRF ers in the immediate vicinity.

Downgraded to Cat 2, and might miss New Orleans proper. . .I'm still praying -

I am still here and with power... but not for long - we have had several power hits recently with these stronger bands coming through, and @ 45 to 50 mph winds currently...

Most of the Mississippi Gulf Coast west of me is already without power.

We should be good here, providing we don't have a bunch of tornado outbreaks.

Stay safe, Saint Nick - you are in for some nasty weather in Baton Rouge.

Thank you for your continuing thoughts and prayers...

QUOTE (rushbass @ Sep 1 2008, 09:41 AM)
I am still here and with power... but not for long - we have had several power hits recently with these stronger bands coming through, and @ 45 to 50 mph winds currently...

Most of the Mississippi Gulf Coast west of me is already without power.

We should be good here, providing we don't have a bunch of tornado outbreaks.

Stay safe, Saint Nick - you are in for some nasty weather in Baton Rouge.

Thank you for your continuing thoughts and prayers...

Thanks for checking in, rushbass!

Keep everything tied down tight down there.

Hopefully this won't be anything like Katrina, but it will still take some rebound time.

Take care, man!

Archived