the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 24 2008, 04:30 PM)
Here's my random one for today:

The Band's song "It Makes No Difference" (especially the Last Waltz version) is one of the most devastatingly sad and beautiful songs ever put to tape. I miss Rick Danko.

Totally agree, although the Last Waltz film and album version are slightly different - in the film it is edited slightly and sped up (as with the whole film).

The Band don't get enough recognition these days. So few people have heard of them compared with other big name bands of the same era.

and

'Stage Fright' is an underrated Band album

On another note, I need to listen to all the CDs/LPs my housemate has lend me - lots of cool stuff from Gary Wilson to Gillian Welch to Robyn Hitchcock to John Renbourn

"King Harvest (has surely come)" by The Band is one of the greatest songs ever recorded! Richard Manuel's voice gives me goosebumps. I love the way the bass, organ and drums sound, it all sounds so warm... Robbie Robertson's guitar solo at the end of the song is pure genius... it's not how many notes you play, it's how you play them!

Oh, and I agree with Mystic Slipperman, "It Makes No Difference" is a beautiful song!

Edited by ArrowSnake

Very cool to see more fans of The Band. smile.gif

Today's random thought... Anyone who thinks that The Beach Boys' music was just lightweight fluff about cars, surfing, and girls needs to hear the song "Surf's Up". It just might change your mind.... it certainly changed mine. It's an amazing piece of music.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 26 2008, 09:39 AM)
Very cool to see more fans of The Band. smile.gif

Today's random thought... Anyone who thinks that The Beach Boys' music was just lightweight fluff about cars, surfing, and girls needs to hear the song "Surf's Up". It just might change your mind.... it certainly changed mine. It's an amazing piece of music.

The Beatles themselves were listening to The Beach Boys.

Pet Sounds is a great album.

• Like 1

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 25 2008, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 25 2008, 08:33 PM)
I also want to buy a lot of The Who albums: Tommy, Quadrophenia, and Who's Next. Which should I start with?

Who's Next

Quadrophenia

Tommy

Since I got the same list (almost) from two members, that'll be how I get it. I just wish I had more money so I could buy one of these, a PF album, and a Yes album or two!

Ahhhh King Crimson.........sooooooooo good. I am completely in love with Discipline right now. wub.gif
  • Like 1

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 26 2008, 06:50 PM)
ohmy.gif

you just discovered king crimson!?!?

Well, until recently the only album I was really familiar with was In the Court of the Crimson King. I used to play Lizard and Starless and Bible Black sometimes, but they just kinda bounced off my skull. blush4.gif

Right now I'm in love with the Belew/Bruford/Fripp/Levin lineup. These guys are just blowing my mind.

Edit: also, what Did Lee Squat said. biggrin.gif

Edited by edgyspice

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 27 2008, 03:56 AM)
ohmy.gif

Well, until recently the only album I was really familiar with was In the Court of the Crimson King. I used to play Lizard and Starless and Bible Black sometimes, but they just kinda bounced off my skull. blush4.gif

Right now I'm in love with the Belew/Bruford/Fripp/Levin lineup. These guys are just blowing my mind.

I need to get around to listen to some King Crimson.. yes.gif

And King's X - sorry Fridge, still haven't doh.gif (tomorrow or at the weekend, definately pokey.gif )

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 26 2008, 07:56 PM)
ohmy.gif

IMO Discipline is the best of the 80s Crimson studio albums.

If you love this lineup, you NEED to get Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal. It's the last show that lineup ever gave...end of the "Three of a Perfect Pair" tour, and it is a monster. Officially released live album, better yet!!!

Also.....you need Red. The other (IMO) perfect Crimson album...

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 26 2008, 10:28 PM)
time stand still is such a great song. lyrics almost make me want to tear up a little bit sad.gif

i love hold your fire. it's the best rush album, by miles

Amen.

Time Stand Still seems to get more poignant for me every year. The lyrics are wonderful.

HYF is becoming my favorite Rush album once again....it's been Perm Waves for a while, but they shift, ya know...