the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

My random music thought for the day:

Few live performances are as soulful, as powerful, as PERFECT, as Otis Redding's short set at the MONTEREY POP festival in 1967.

That performance of "I've Been Loving You Too Long" is the DEFINITION of true soul music.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 27 2008, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 26 2008, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 26 2008, 06:50 PM)
ohmy.gif

you just discovered king crimson!?!?

Well, until recently the only album I was really familiar with was In the Court of the Crimson King. I used to play Lizard and Starless and Bible Black sometimes, but they just kinda bounced off my skull. blush4.gif

Right now I'm in love with the Belew/Bruford/Fripp/Levin lineup. These guys are just blowing my mind.

Edit: also, what Did Lee Squat said. biggrin.gif

IMO Discipline is the best of the 80s Crimson studio albums.

If you love this lineup, you NEED to get Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal. It's the last show that lineup ever gave...end of the "Three of a Perfect Pair" tour, and it is a monster. Officially released live album, better yet!!!

Also.....you need Red. The other (IMO) perfect Crimson album...

Larks' Tongues in Aspic is absolutely phenomenal!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 27 2008, 02:15 PM)
Larks' Tongues in Aspic is absolutely phenomenal!

True dat.

The live USA is great too...overdubs and all. Apparently David Cross was (mostly) inaudible so Fripp decided to have Eddie Jobson overdub violin on the tracks.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

Just wanted to say Emotion Detector is such an awesome song!

The lyrics are so beautiful, and I love how Neil hits those cymbals before the "right to the heart of the matter" parts, it sounds really powerful.

I remember when I was just getting to know Rush, I loved their harder albums (2112 and AFTK) and didn't really like the 80's albums, but nowadays I actually prefer their 80's period.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 27 2008, 01:11 PM)
If you love this lineup, you NEED to get Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal. It's the last show that lineup ever gave...end of the "Three of a Perfect Pair" tour, and it is a monster. Officially released live album, better yet!!!

Is it available for download in the official shop? I started looking through what they had, but there's no way to sort the results and there's like 20 pages' worth. b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 27 2008, 04:52 PM)
Just wanted to say Emotion Detector is such an awesome song!
The lyrics are so beautiful, and I love how Neil hits those cymbals before the "right to the heart of the matter" parts, it sounds really powerful.
I remember when I was just getting to know Rush, I loved their harder albums (2112 and AFTK) and didn't really like the 80's albums, but nowadays I actually prefer their 80's period.

Definitely my favorite song off of the album. If I was making an '80s-era compilation, this would be in it.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 27 2008, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 27 2008, 01:11 PM)
If you love this lineup, you NEED to get Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal.  It's the last show that lineup ever gave...end of the "Three of a Perfect Pair" tour, and it is a monster.  Officially released live album, better yet!!!

Is it available for download in the official shop? I started looking through what they had, but there's no way to sort the results and there's like 20 pages' worth. b_sigh.gif

Honestly, I don't know...but it should be.

It's on CD and in print, so I'd think it would be available for download!

My current random music thought (while listening to DT's Awake), I would probably still be a fan of the band if Kevin Moore never left. He doesn't spooge the keys like Rudess.

Because I'm getting a new 60 GB iPod for Christmas, I will be able to put all of my iTunes music on my iPod, as well as all of the music I plan on buying - be it The Who, Pink Floyd, Yes, or even My Chemical Romance. Plus, if I find a CD in my collection thats not on iTunes, I'll be able to hear it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 1 2008, 01:21 AM)
"on an island" by david gilmour is the most beautiful album i've head all week

applaudit.gif

It is mellow but still an excellent album. I love the tone Gilmour gets out of his guitar.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 2 2008, 12:07 PM)
There's almost too much good music for me to process! I'm mainlining Yes and King Crimson these days. I think Discipline has become one of my "Top Ten of All Time" albums.

You got that right.

I'm often fond of saying "There's just too much good damn music for one lifetime", and it is so true.

When I first got "Discipline" I played it incessantly for weeks; I was so impressed with it. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Aug 26 2008, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 26 2008, 09:39 AM)
Very cool to see more fans of The Band.  smile.gif

Today's random thought... Anyone who thinks that The Beach Boys' music was just lightweight fluff about cars, surfing, and girls needs to hear the song "Surf's Up".  It just might change your mind.... it certainly changed mine.  It's an amazing piece of music.

The Beatles themselves were listening to The Beach Boys.

Pet Sounds is a great album.

I think Pet Sounds is SLIGHTLY overrated.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 2 2008, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 2 2008, 12:07 PM)
There's almost too much good music for me to process!  I'm mainlining Yes and King Crimson these days.  I think Discipline has become one of my "Top Ten of All Time" albums.

You got that right.

I'm often fond of saying "There's just too much good damn music for one lifetime", and it is so true.

When I first got "Discipline" I played it incessantly for weeks; I was so impressed with it. trink39.gif

I made my friend play it on a long drive yesterday. She ended up liking it so much she played "Thela Hun Ginjeet" twice in a row, and then when we stopped at a music store she bought the CD!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 1 2008, 12:21 AM)
"on an island" by david gilmour is the most beautiful album i've head all week

Yes! Such a peaceful, mellow album....brings back fond memories. wub.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 2 2008, 03:12 PM)

When I first got "Discipline" I played it incessantly for weeks; I was so impressed with it.  trink39.gif

Yep....I'm currently going through the same phase. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i think the doors are waaaaay overrated

E.L.P gets no love on this board confused13.gif