the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

YOSO. August 17th. Just got back from this YES splinter-group show...Really well balanced concert...little bit of everything from everyone's playbook...but really coulda went for more of the Prog-leaning stuff on the actual, new studio CD...a copy of which was passed along to me from a friend at tonight's gig...

I now must insist that everyone should catch a show at their local B.B. King's theater/restaurant...especially after absorbing the influence of tonight's experience...Check your nearest city and see if you got one within driving distance. This is a very unique way of catching a Rock show...You pay for your booth or a table, like you would pay for, say, four individual seats at any venue, large or small...

Then, you and your group of four to six party people order yourselves many drinks and foodstuffs...and your waitress takes care of all the muss and fuss...and you just sit back and enjoy your little area, cut off from the rest of the shmoozy boozers...It's like dinner theater....No, it's not 'like' it...It sorta IS 'it'....Try IT and get back to a bro, mo-fo. I think you all will dig.

Is Classic Rock Radio still absolutely intolerable?

I was FORCED to turn the radio on today during my earlier morning travels...

NO exaggeration, before this, I've gone more than a decade without having to listen to FM Radio at all...There was one other day, when I was painting my house and stuck with a small portable radio...I literally heard 'Born to be Wild' THREE times in an eight hour period that day...Sickening! Gut-wrenching! An abomination!

These programers and managers must have absolutely NO RESPECT for the intelligence and taste of the average Rock fan.

The four songs that I caught in rapid succession were:

1.The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

2. Rush - Limelight

3. Pearl Jam - Black

4. Pink Floyd - Time

You're kidding me, right?...I CAN NOT BELIEVE that the overwhelming majority of Rock Fans haven't revolted against this medium a long, long time ago...and outright DEMANDED that THEY BEGIN PLAYING material other than that 100 SONG playlist that was devised by these meatballs 30 years ago...

There are TONS AND TONS AND TONS of songs, even by these same artists, that are NOT getting any airplay whatsoever...They must think that Americans can't handle more than a small, repetitive serving of the same stale gunk over and over again...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Have YOU yourself turned off Classic Rock Radio for good a long, long time ago as well?

A LARGESCALE BOYCOTT is the only thing that would convince these fools to do something about this brain-dead, stagnant mediocrity...

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 19 2010, 12:40 PM)
Is Classic Rock Radio still absolutely intolerable?

I was FORCED to turn the radio on today during my earlier morning travels...

NO exaggeration, before this, I've gone more than a decade without having to listen to FM Radio at all...There was one other day, when I was painting my house and stuck with a small portable radio...I literally heard 'Born to be Wild' THREE times in an eight hour period that day...Sickening! Gut-wrenching! An abomination!

These programers and managers must have absolutely NO RESPECT for the intelligence and taste of the average Rock fan.

The four songs that I caught in rapid succession were:

1.The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

2. Rush - Limelight

3. Pearl Jam - Black

4. Pink Floyd - Time

You're kidding me, right?...I CAN NOT BELIEVE that the overwhelming majority of Rock Fans haven't revolted against this medium a long, long time ago...and outright DEMANDED that THEY BEGIN PLAYING material other than that 100 SONG playlist that was devised by these meatballs 30 years ago...

There are TONS AND TONS AND TONS of songs, even by these same artists, that are NOT getting any airplay whatsoever...They must think that Americans can't handle more than a small, repetitive serving of the same stale gunk over and over again...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Have YOU yourself turned off Classic Rock Radio for good a long, long time ago as well?

A LARGESCALE BOYCOTT is the only thing that would convince these fools to do something about this brain-dead, stagnant mediocrity...

I gave up on the radio a long time ago. Same crap over and over. You can almost set your watch by their playlists. Classic rock stations are the worst because we've heard all of this same shit for twenty plus years now.

My musical obsession is perfectly satisfied without ever turning on the radio. Besides, how many amazing bands and musicians would be completely overlooked if we all went by what commerial radio decided we should be listening to, which is almost always pure shittola?

Radio is boring....

Classic Rock Radio eats undigested corn kernels that have passed through the lower digestive track of a Water Buffalo with the runs...

I really am thoroughly flabbergasted, I mean flat-out SHOCKED at the BALLS that these programmers and their uppers and underlings must have in their shorts to actually feed 'the listener' the same ol' serving of songs, day in and day out for going on thirty years now.

OMG! I turned the radio on for 15-20 minutes today and three out of the four tracks had an OBSCENE LEVEL of HIGH ROTATION...

CD PLAYERS, MP3 PLAYERS, SATELLITE RADIO, all these options now exist...and NO ONE should be forced to turn on their local (modulation of electromagnetic wave frequencies) Rock station...Don't ever turn them on and they'll go away soon enough...NO ONE will advertise with them and there goes their bread and butta.

I KNOW SO MUCH Rock Music outside of their shallow-ass, narrow-minded playlist...and I learned about it all from the internet...So, I guess that I have Classic Rock Radio to thank for that...If they didn't suck so profusely, I wouldn't have turned elsewhere.

Rush's Limelight was the second song that I heard from them today...I can just imagine how friggin' badly abused that song is on the Radio nowadaya, while TONS OF AWESOME RUSH music goes unplayed and undiscovered by the masses...SHAME ON YOU, MR. DJ MAN!

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 19 2010, 04:10 PM)
I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BITCH AIN'T ONE!

1022.gif 1022.gif

trink39.gif

Regarding classic rock radio, I rarely listen to our classic rock station. I find myself listening to the modern rock station (which balances out newer stuff with older stuff, but not ad nauseum, though), the new "Bob FM", which is one of those everything stations, and even the two pop stations. Mostly I've been disappointed by the last two, but they're playing two songs featuring Hayley Williams of Paramore, and a few other okay songs. But most of the time, I just use my iPod and choose from my 6,000-song collection. I love the DJ, the music is great, and there are no commercials. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 19 2010, 04:10 PM)
I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BITCH AIN'T ONE!

1022.gif 1022.gif

HIT ME

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 20 2010, 04:01 PM)
Regarding classic rock radio, I rarely listen to our classic rock station. I find myself listening to the modern rock station (which balances out newer stuff with older stuff, but not ad nauseum, though), the new "Bob FM", which is one of those everything stations, and even the two pop stations. Mostly I've been disappointed by the last two, but they're playing two songs featuring Hayley Williams of Paramore, and a few other okay songs. But most of the time, I just use my iPod and choose from my 6,000-song collection. I love the DJ, the music is great, and there are no commercials. smile.gif

We had a JACK FM, but I think someone pulled the plug on that automated computer-generated playlist...I don't think anyone NEEDS to listen to the radio for anything other than news and weather any more...The medium is a horrible representation of Rock music as a whole...Maybe good enough for a day at the beach, or a backyard keg party...But, they're never going to deviate from the assigned playbook...and that stop being enough for me over a decade ago.

That's part of why I wish I was back in Niagara Falls. I was able to pick up two awesome stations from Toronto: 102.1 The Edge (newer, more indie stuff; they play certain songs a bunch but they also play a bunch of other awesome stuff), and Q107 (where they played "YYZ" and did a Rush quiz mentioning four Rush songs never played on the radio). Thankfully, I can go to The Edge's website and stream live, which is still pretty cool.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 20 2010, 08:25 PM)
That's part of why I wish I was back in Niagara Falls. I was able to pick up two awesome stations from Toronto: 102.1 The Edge (newer, more indie stuff; they play certain songs a bunch but they also play a bunch of other awesome stuff), and Q107 (where they played "YYZ" and did a Rush quiz mentioning four Rush songs never played on the radio). Thankfully, I can go to The Edge's website and stream live, which is still pretty cool.

College Radio is also still cool...I mean, the concept of it is...You get students running their own programs, who don't have to answer to anyone else other than the other students...for what's on the playlists at least...

They do have to answer to the admin for things like obscenity laws and political commentary and such...But, they can put together an Alt Rock show for two hours, a Jazz program for another two, maybe Metal at Midnight...

It's much freer because nobody's trying to please the advertisers who are the bread and butter for actual, revenue-generating, big, private Rock stations...If you are within the distance of a college radio station, let that sucka play straight through one day...You might even find a daily show that you dig.

I fall asleep most nights with either classic-era Jazz CDs on, or just tune into the local college's late night Jazz show...So, 'radio' is still good for somethin in my life.

We have 102.1 The Edge here in Dallas. I wonder if it's the same deal? The only commercial radio station to which I would give the time of day. There's an awesome female DJ, Jessie, who is the absolute BEST! She really digs the obscure and gets the best interviews with the best bands and musicians. The only ray of light in an otherwise black hole of poo.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 20 2010, 10:46 PM)

We have 102.1 The Edge here in Dallas. I wonder if it's the same deal? The only commercial radio station to which I would give the time of day. There's an awesome female DJ, Jessie, who is the absolute BEST! She really digs the obscure and gets the best interviews with the best bands and musicians. The only ray of light in an otherwise black hole of poo.

It's not the same station, but they sound like they might have some sort of connection considering they share the same frequency, title, and format.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 20 2010, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 20 2010, 10:46 PM)

It's not the same station, but they sound like they might have some sort of connection considering they share the same frequency, title, and format.

It's owned by Clear Channel here, but most likely The Edge is what is used across the board, if you will, as the main alternative station identification. At any rate, it's the only station I'd tune in to. But, still... they tend to play a repetitive core list of songs, too. But, I think the DJ's are allowed a much broader reach to choose some stuff they want to play.

The Edge here has DJ Merritt who does the Edgeclub, which is a time slot of nothing but club mixes of alternative stuff. It's cool. And the Adventure Club on Sunday nights is really, really cool. All completely off-the-radar bands. AWESOME! I used to always listen on Sunday nights.

The annual Edgefest is supposed to be cool, too. But, I've never made it to one. sad.gif

Anyway, it's the only remotely cool commercial radio station left in Dallas/Fort Worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDGE

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 20 2010, 10:21 AM)
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" is 2 minutes and 27 seconds of unbridled joy, energy and optimism.  It never fails to make me feel better.

Yea the same applies to pretty much all that early Beatles stuff. Just listened to the Help! album...aside from the obvious big hits, man there's gems on there! I've Just Seen A Face, I Need You, You Like Me Too Much, Tell Me What You See, It's Only Love just to name a few.

Yeah, well there was no precedent whatsoever for pretty much all they accomplished...and that applies to their early days as well...But, I certainly do get a 'kiddie' vibe from hearing all that pre-65 stuff...

I mean, well, the lads were under 25 yrs themselves, and the market they were writing for were young boys and girls, ten years their junior...

And, I guess that I myself would fall into that musical 'snob' category myself...BUT, with the added bonus of 50 years of musical hindsight to back my snobbery...

Fact of the matter is that you need to put together small contraptions before you can begin to rig up the larger contraptions....So, they had to begin somewhere along the musical 'complexity' line...

In the documentary film, 'Let It Be' Paul is talking to someone on the couch about the song 'One After 909', and how they were presently resurrecting this very early Beatles tune, whih was written with John at Paul's house after school one day...

Paul mentions that a bunch of songs were written during that period, all being way too primitive to contemplate showing anyone else...And, even though they were currently recording '909', the both of them felt the same of this song too...at least the lyrics portion of the tune, they thought to be juvenile...But, obviously, musically, they felt that it made the grade...When they're singing it on the rooftop, you can see that they still get a kick out of the bad lyrics.

Well, this is what I feel about the majority of the Beatles released music prior to late '64/early '65...It's just too primitive to really get excited about.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 20 2010, 11:18 PM)
Most adults (people over 18 yrs old) of the period who were serious about music believed that all the Beatles stuff prior to 1965 was geared mainly for children's ears...And, I think they were correct on that summation...All of that stuff is pretty juvenile on every level.

That's what was called the generation gap; the adults of that time hadn't grown up with rock and felt that way about ALL rock music even after it became more sophisticated when they then the viewed it as a danger and a threat, basically they were frightened. The only people listening to rock music (which had only been around about 10 years at that point) in the '60s were teenagers for the most part.

One last observation concerning the horrid, repetitive playlists that are the trademark of Classic Rock Radio stations nationwide...

You just know that there are thousands up thousands of Blue Collar Worker-types out there in the U.S. and Canada who have listened to nothing but the choices made by the staff at their local Classic Rock station...over and over again, day in and day out, as they begin and end each and every workday, at whatever worksite they've grown accustomed to inhabiting over the last twenty, thirty years.

Imagine that...Torturous misery without an end in sight...Being a hard-working Blue Collar type who shows up to work every single day for the past umpteen years, and having to put up with the mediocrity of Classic Rock Radio...because only a portable radio is permitted on the jobsite...

No matter how many years go by, you just know that today you are going to listen to the same playlist which you were graced with listening to yesterday, the day before that one, and the day before that as well...going backwards, literally, as far as you can even remember...Only the order of the tracks change for you...Not the songs themselves.

There's got to be PLENTY of men out there who this applies to...Some are obviously disgruntled by their monotonous plight, others who have just blindly accepted it...They have just accepted the fact that Boston follows Bad Company which follows The Beatles which follows Blind Faith, each and every single day.