the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 24 2010, 05:51 PM)
I've never really been a fan of screamo/screaming in songs until very recently. And, to me, I can only take so much (in other words - yes, it can be depressing if you have too much laugh.gif ). Reggie and the Full Effect (well, technically James Dewees) made a great balance on Last Stop: Crappy Town. There's parts where it's this sort of hardcore thing with screaming, then almost poppy parts with smooth vocals, and interludes with keyboards or piano chords. Very interesting record - too bad he's stopped making records.

Your avi is dam creepy xannydew.

Talking Book= Fave Stevie Wonder Album

And Matthew Good just so kickass. Love this emotion this guy has in his songs.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Apr 26 2010, 05:01 PM)

Hehehe....

BOXXY FTW 1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 27 2010, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Apr 26 2010, 05:01 PM)

Hehehe....

BOXXY FTW 1022.gif

Is this Boxxy person the latest trend, then? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 27 2010, 04:51 PM)
Man, I miss everything! laugh.gif

No worries, I missed her on her first go-around. I'll say that she looks better than most Internet memes. laugh.gif

in b4 XANNYDEW FANTASIZES ABOUT BOXXY because I know either colinfledge or limey's gonna say that.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 27 2010, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 27 2010, 04:51 PM)
Man, I miss everything! laugh.gif

No worries, I missed her on her first go-around. I'll say that she looks better than most Internet memes. laugh.gif

in b4 XANNYDEW FANTASIZES ABOUT BOXXY because I know either colinfledge or limey's gonna say that.

Prior to this whole Boxxy revelation, I thought "Wow, Xanny's gotten himself a girlfriend, and she's rather attractive".

I'm old, forgive me. What the f*ck is a meme?

Does anyone over the age of 15 listen to Justin Bieber?

Where are all these hysterical girls coming from?

And what types of drugs are they on?

QUOTE (Boots @ Apr 27 2010, 07:14 PM)
Does anyone over the age of 15 listen to Justin Bieber?
Where are all these hysterical girls coming from?
And what types of drugs are they on?

In order:

1) No (though I suppose there are a few exceptions)

2) The Jonas Brothers concert/elementary school

3) Hormones

laugh.gif

Burned a cd for a co-worker that had Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Radiohead, and Riverside on it. He said none of it was really his taste. All but Porcupine Tree. He bought In Absentia through The Incident over the weekend. And, so, now he's uber pissed that he missed the show by just days. smile.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 25 2010, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 25 2010, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 25 2010, 01:52 AM)
I think U2 can only write one type of song.

Yep. A shite one.

Eh?

shite means bad.

blink-182's Enema of the State is often regarded as their best record. As usual, I go against the norm and don't agree. However, I DO like it to some extent. It's got:

- great songs in "Dumpweed", "What's My Age Again?", and "All the Small Things",

- serious/semi-serious songs (which are both great) in "Adam's Song" (which may be the most serious song they've written, along with "Stay Together for the Kids" and "GO") and "The Party Song" (which is definitely not as serious but is still pretty serious),

- okay/good songs ("Don't Leave Me", "Aliens Exist", "Going Away to College", "Dysentery Gary", "Mutt", and "Wendy Clear",

and then it's got "Anthem". (No, it's not a Rush cover.) It's a song that drags on for too long, and has what may be the worst lyric I've ever heard: "And mom and dad possess the key/Instant slavery". 062802puke_prv.gif Even if the rest of the song isn't that bad, that lyric ruins the song for me. Tom's voice makes it even sound worse. It's the most whiny-angsty teenage song I've ever heard.

They sort of evolved on their next record, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket (not too much - they recorded a sequel to "Anthem", imaginatively titled "Anthem Part 2", which is still teenagerish but is much better) and then followed that up with what is IMO their best record in their self-titled. I know they're not a band that you're supposed to take seriously all the time, but I like them more when they're serious than when they're being childish.

And, for the sake of randomness, here's how many plays my three blink records have, according to last.fm:

blink-182 - 351

Take Off Your Pants and Jacket - 342

Enema of the State - 144

I was looking at In Absentia by Porcupine Tree in the iTunes Store, and both the official review and several listeners' reviews got me interested in possibly buying this record. You all know that I bought The Incident the day it came out, and eventually listened to it a few weeks later, and wasn't too impressed (in fact, kind of bummed that it wasn't that "good"). Even though it didn't impress me that much, I feel like I should give it another listen and see if I'll like it more this time than last time. If it doesn't do anything (or even if it does), is In Absentia a good record to get next? I'm not necessarily looking for their "best" because I'll get different responses, but one that's a little more listener-friendly.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 3 2010, 06:00 PM)
I was looking at In Absentia by Porcupine Tree in the iTunes Store, and both the official review and several listeners' reviews got me interested in possibly buying this record. You all know that I bought The Incident the day it came out, and eventually listened to it a few weeks later, and wasn't too impressed (in fact, kind of bummed that it wasn't that "good"). Even though it didn't impress me that much, I feel like I should give it another listen and see if I'll like it more this time than last time. If it doesn't do anything (or even if it does), is In Absentia a good record to get next? I'm not necessarily looking for their "best" because I'll get different responses, but one that's a little more listener-friendly.

In Absentia is awesome.

I think you will be much more impressed with it than The Incident.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 3 2010, 04:00 PM)

I'm in love with Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream, but it's up to you tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 3 2010, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 3 2010, 06:00 PM)

In Absentia is awesome.

I think you will be much more impressed with it than The Incident.

I agree. Deadwing would be another good choice.

But, PLEASE don't download it from iTunes. Go to Amazon and get the real deal. Even a used copy. The bastardized sound quality you'll get from a download won't do it justice.

I don't know why I haven't listened to Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins in so long. It's a great album. And, the story behind it is incredible. Billy Corgan had suffered a nervous breakdown right before its recording. He ended up laying down most of the guitar and bass tracks because James Iha and D'arcy Wretzky were fighting so much. The drummer, Jimmy Chamberlin, was totally strung out on heroin. Corgan had him re-do the drums for "Cherub Rock" so many times that his hands bled. Corgan sat with him for days in the studio, basically telling him, "We aren't going anywhere until you do this right." The release of it was put off several times and by several months because the band refused to compromise the quality for staying on budget.

It's an amazing album. yes.gif