The Genius of Stanley Kubrick

The Owl

What is the Bese Stanley Kubrick film?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Bese Stanley Kubrick film?

• Fear and Desire
    • Killer's Kiss
    • The Killing
    • Paths of Glory
    • Spartacus
    • Lolita
    • Dr. Strangelove
    • 2001: A Space Oddesy
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Barry London
    • The Shining
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Eyes Wide Shut
    • I.E Artificial Intellegence (Writer, Stephen Speilberg directed)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, watching Eyes Wide Shut right now.

I like the way it was shot, I'm actually into it. Have never seen it before.

Full Metal Jacket, The Shining are two of my favorite movies of all time.

Dr Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket are my favs. Strangelove is one of my fav films of all time. I've never seen Barry Lyndon. Not sure how I've missed that one but I'll track it down. I'm sure it will be great.

seeing a lot of love for Full Metal Jacket here.

Even though I was in the Army and not the Marines and I was in basic

about twenty years after the time the movie was set in, the scenes from basic are dead on to the experience with the exception of the obvious shower room scene. R. Lee Ermey's lines and attitude were dead on from my experience.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 18 2008, 11:45 PM)
about twenty years after the time the movie was set in, the scenes from basic are dead on to the experience with the exception of the obvious shower room scene.  R. Lee Ermey's lines and attitude were dead on from my experience.

Ermey's performance was so genuine because he actually was a Marine Corps drill instructor in the 60's and served in Vietnam before he became an actor.

Has anyone ever seen the Vietnam flick "Boys in Company C" from back in the late 70's? Ermey played a drill instructor in that one as well (it was his first acting role.) Ermey's performance in that movie is what caught Kubrick's eye and help get him the role in FMJ.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Although I didn't vote for it, Barry Lyndon (not London) is probably the closest Kubrick came to perfection.

GREAT:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Barry Lyndon

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

VERY GOOD:

Full Metal Jacket

Paths of Glory

Eyes Wide Shut

The Killing

Spartacus

Lolita

Dr. Strangelove

GOOD:

Killer's Kiss

POOR:

Fear And Desire

(A.I. doesn't count)

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Aug 19 2008, 09:30 PM)
Although I didn't vote for it, Barry Lyndon (not London) is probably the closest Kubrick came to perfection.

GREAT:
Barry Lyndon
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining

VERY GOOD:
Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
Eyes Wide Shut
The Killing
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove

GOOD:
Killer's Kiss

POOR:
Fear And Desire

(A.I. doesn't count)

Come on! You can easily bump Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove up to great! yes.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 19 2008, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 18 2008, 11:45 PM)
about twenty years after the time the movie was set in, the scenes from basic are dead on to the experience with the exception of the obvious shower room scene.  R. Lee Ermey's lines and attitude were dead on from my experience.

Ermey's performance was so genuine because he actually was a Marine Corps drill instructor in the 60's and served in Vietnam before he became an actor.

Has anyone ever seen the Vietnam flick "Boys in Company C" from back in the late 70's? Ermey played a drill instructor in that one as well (it was his first acting role.) Ermey's performance in that movie is what caught Kubrick's eye and help get him the role in FMJ.

According to Ermey's IMDb page:

Served in the U.S. Marine Corps from April 1961 to October 1971 under the service number 195 60 39. Was retired as a Staff Sergeant on a medical disability.

Although he retired from the United States Marine Corps in 1971, Ermey was later awarded the Honorary rank of Gunnery Sergeant.

U.S. Marine Corps awards and decorations include: Meritorious Unit Commendation, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal (w/bronze service star), Vietnam Campaign Medal (w/60 Device), Vietnam Gallentry Cross (w/Palm), Good Conduct Medal (w/2 bronze service stars), Marksman Badge (w/Rifle Bar) and Sharpshooter Badge (w/Pistol Bar).

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 19 2008, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Aug 19 2008, 09:30 PM)

GREAT:
Barry Lyndon
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining

VERY GOOD:
Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
Eyes Wide Shut
The Killing
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove

GOOD:
Killer's Kiss

POOR:
Fear And Desire

(A.I. doesn't count)

Come on! You can easily bump Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove up to great! yes.gif

I could probably bump all of the titles I listed as 'very good' up to great, but I didn't want to come across as too much of a fanboy. Even Killer's Kiss shot on a limited budget shows us that Kubrick wasn't just an ordinary director.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Aug 19 2008, 08:30 PM)

GREAT:
Barry Lyndon
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining

VERY GOOD:
Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
Eyes Wide Shut
The Killing
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove

GOOD:
Killer's Kiss

POOR:
Fear And Desire

(A.I. doesn't count)

trink39.gif

Excellent!!!

The Shining. It wasn't what Stephen King wrote, exactly, but it was a fantastic film.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2008, 10:29 PM)
No Fighting in the war room!

laugh.gif

An amazing cast in that film, with Sellers alone playing three classic characters.

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 24 2012, 05:59 PM)

laugh.gif

An amazing cast in that film, with Sellers alone playing three classic characters.

Sellers was originally going to also play Major T. J. Kong. Kubrick wanted Sellers threaded throughout the entire movie, but Sellers broke his ankle and couldn't fulfill playing Kong. Also, Sellers couldn't master the Texas accent. Sellers is everywhere in the movie but the B-52.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 24 2012, 05:11 PM)

laugh.gif

Sellers was originally going to also play Major T. J. Kong. Kubrick wanted Sellers threaded throughout the entire movie, but Sellers broke his ankle and couldn't fulfill playing Kong. Also, Sellers couldn't master the Texas accent. Sellers is everywhere in the movie but the B-52.

Which worked out fabulously!

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 24 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 24 2012, 05:11 PM)

laugh.gif

Which worked out fabulously!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/Slim.jpg

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 25 2012, 01:04 PM)
Tough call, but 2001 cannot be denied.

2001 is still the best sci-fi movie that was ever made...It is simple before its time!!! It literally still looks current. Have you ever watched the movie with the two main actors--Dullea and Lockwood doing commentary?