Grace Under Pressure or Counterparts

GeddyRulz

Which is the better album, Grace Under Pressure or Counterparts?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better album, Grace Under Pressure or Counterparts?

• Grace Under Pressure
    • Counterparts

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 17 2008, 04:04 PM)
Thank goodness you're both wrong. Grace Under Pressure is way better than CP.

moon.gif

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 12 2008, 12:18 PM)
I'd prefer an album of extremes, with some great songs and some bad songs, over an entire album of merely average songs. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on this: which would you prefer?

Ironically this is why I chose GUP over C/p. (not that I don't think C/p is a better than average album)

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 12 2008, 01:34 PM)
its nearly impossible to rank GUP songs from best to worst.

Here, I'll do it for ya:

(out of 10)

10--The Enemy Within

-----Red Sector A

9---Distant Early Warning

8---Afterimage

7---Kid Gloves

5---Between The Wheels

----The Body Electric

1---Red Lenses

And the C/p songs:

10--Cut To The Chase

8---Stick It Out

----Between Sun & Moon

----Nobody's Hero

----Cold Fire

----Double Agent

7---Animate

5---Alien Shore

----Leave That Thing Alone

2---Everyday Glory

1---The Speed Of Love

GUP wins by an average song score of 6.875 to 6.364

Grace Under Pressure by a hair. I love both albums, but GUP is kind of gives off a different vibe. Every song of Grace Under Pressure is a hit. Counterparts has all hits though. It confuses me.

But I voted Grace Under Pressure yes.gif

unsure.gif

Counterparts. I've been listening to it a ton recently. Grace Under Pressure, I've just played so much, so I guess I got tired of it. Whereas I can crank stuff from CP, I really can't crank much from p/g besides "Kid Gloves", which does rock IMO.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Nov 18 2008, 07:22 AM)

no.gif

GUP wins by a Knockout, a home run, a whitewash, a rout, a humiliation, and an early cricket declaration.

In fact, you could give Counterparts a ten goal start and GUP would still hammer it at a game of (proper wink.gif) football yes.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Nov 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
why these albums? they have nothing in common!

It began from an argument I had with Goob. I was pro-CP and anti-GUP, and he was the opposite. I made the hasty comment that most people would agree with me; that CP was the far superior album. I was wrong; apparently, most people prefer GUP.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 18 2008, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Nov 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
why these albums? they have nothing in common!

It began from an argument I had with Goob. I was pro-CP and anti-GUP, and he was the opposite. I made the hasty comment that most people would agree with me; that CP was the far superior album. I was wrong; apparently, most people prefer GUP.

well, I agree with you... trink39.gif

Tough choice.......I thought long and hard over it.

In the end though, it came down to this:

Grace - near masterpiece.

CP - good solid album.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 18 2008, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Nov 18 2008, 07:22 AM)

no.gif

GUP wins by a Knockout, a home run, a whitewash, a rout, a humiliation, and an early cricket declaration.

In fact, you could give Counterparts a ten goal start and GUP would still hammer it at a game of (proper wink.gif) football yes.gif

It's funny but I would've thought GUP would clobber C/p in my ears, but to be fair I gave them both a play before voting.

Listening to both closely with the mind that I'd score them, I was surprised that GUP didn't do better and that C/p didn't do worse. The lyrical edge GUP has is bigger than C/p's musical edge.

P slash G yes.gif

Every song on that album is killer! Yes, including Red Lenses. I simply love GUP. It was my first Rush album, and remains up there in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong though, I love CP. But GUP... you just can't beat it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Nov 18 2008, 02:22 AM)
And the C/p songs:

10--Cut To The Chase
8---Stick It Out
----Between Sun & Moon
----Nobody's Hero
----Cold Fire
----Double Agent
7---Animate
5---Alien Shore
----Leave That Thing Alone
2---Everyday Glory
1---The Speed Of Love

This is hilarious, it really is!

As for this poll, I cannot believe the results. Counterparts is in my top 3 ever. It's raw, it's Alex Lifeson at his best coming back in the lead and showing everyone once again what a rockin' Guitar player he is! This is Rush as the POWER trio we hadn't heard since Moving Pictures---Drums, Bass, Guitar. And Alex has so many great moments on this album, it's amazing.

I would imagine Alex would be a little bummed to see these results, as I guess the hard core really do prefer the synthesizers wtf.gif to the guitar in the lead.

Personally, it's no contest and I voted for CP, but I guess there are more fans of the Synth era Rush than I thought....me gimme Alex's guitar ANY day over that stuff.

And then there's the lyrics to Red Lenses which, in itself, should disqualify the album! LOL

And to those that say there are 3 or 4 songs off CP they dont like and none off P/G, remember you had about 25-30 miuntes MORE music on C/P so you're actually getting much more bang for your buck!

Archived